Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
jb100
jb100 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, Ipod Touch
E-book sites in Canadian Dollars

Do any of my Canadian friends have any ebook sites that they like that sell in Canadian dollars?

jb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Buying in CAD$

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb100 View Post
Do any of my Canadian friends have any ebook sites that they like that sell in Canadian dollars?

Most sites I buy from are in US$, the conversion to CAD$ is calculated by the credit card company at time of billing.

There are some sites that show an approximate CDN$ value, based on the current exchange rate with the US$. This gives you at least a close approximation of what you will be charged.

If you keep books on a wish list at any site, prices will vary according to the fluxuating exchange rate.

An example of a site that shows approximate CD$ value is --> here.

Hope this helps, I'm sure there are other sites out there doing the same thing.

Myself, I often just buy from the eBook Store, and let the Credit Card Company handle the exchange rate.

WDE.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-13-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Gave better example with more formats
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
jb100
jb100 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony 505, Ipod Touch
Thx, Wetdogearted,

It's just a pain though to have to be bothered with the exchange stuff.
jb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
and let the Credit Card Company handle the exchange rate.

WDE.
You mean (unfairly) take some of the exchange!

And don't get me started on UPS brokerage fees to Canada! Viva USPS!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb100 View Post
Thx, Wetdogearted,

It's just a pain though to have to be bothered with the exchange stuff.
I updated my original example, the first one was lacking in different formats.

I agree it doesn't seem fair. The Sony sells the PRS700 and PRS505 in Canada, yet you have to buy from the eBook Store in the US.

I also don't like books on the eBook Store that are only available in the US. I have some of these on my Wish List, hoping they will be available to Canadian readers soon.

It also sucks that, only 6 months ago, the CAD$ was worth more than the US$.

Nick, don't get me started on shipping, packaging and other fees. This discussion is for the rant and vent thread. We just ordered an electronic device from SEARS Canada (1st time ever), who wrapped it in a plastic SEARS bag, and sealed it with a sticky packing slip. We were given a tracking number that went nowhere. For this, we were charged a $3.00 handling fee (I guess that was for the stamp licker) and an $8.00 shipping fee. I wasted 3 days at home; the expected delivery date only 3 days off.

Otherwise, nice to see some more Canadians in the discussions. You never know when dg might have another international poll.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
DanT
Connoisseur
DanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enoughDanT will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo
The only thing I know is harperscollins have their own ebookstore.

The canadian site have price in CAD which is more expensive than the US conterpart after curency conversion since pricing somewhat related to paper version which are more expensive in canada.

Never bought from the Canadien store. It just more expensive for the exact same thing.

Last edited by DanT; 02-13-2009 at 06:56 PM.
DanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Chapters/Indigo are supposed to be launching their Shortcovers application for the iPhone/iPod Touch very soon. I'll be trying it out when it launches.

http://blog.shortcovers.com/

I haven't found any Canadian ebook sites yet though. I don't mind the currency conversion.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote