Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #196
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
It's been decades since I read th Belgariad, but I do recall plowing through a lot of it back then.
I tried Belgariad but somehow just couldn't get into it.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #197
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I re-read it earlier this year and really loved it but I think it is one of those that if you didn't read it as a teen or maybe early 20's it isn't going to be that great. I know I wouldn't have loved it if it was a re-read this time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #198
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
If I recall, the entire Belgariad could be condensed down to one book without the camping and cooking scenes.

Some books I love (recently):

Anything Gaiman (I love how he makes magical realism come alive),
Expanse series (truly alien aliens),
Culture series,
Revelation Space series,
Dresden series,
Kingkiller Chronicles,
Hard Luck Hank series (simple wacky sci-fi fun),
John Dies at the End series (particularly book 1),
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet,
Cosmic Banditos,
Solaris,
Schismatrix Plus, and
The Magicians series (I have not watched the TV show so do not know how and if they compare).

There is so much good fiction out there that it's hard to choose.
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #199
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
If you want Eddings, I prefer The Elenium and The Tamuli series. I read all back in the day, but The Belgeriad and sequels got culled a long time back, whereas the others remain in my library and get reread every so often (although I'll shift them to ebook when the price drops suffiently).

I think my preference is to do with the fact that The Elenium and Tamuli series are focused on the adult members of the party (there are YA members but the PoV is by and large not on them), whereas The Belgeriad is very much a coming of age series which gets old real fast.

If you want a good fantasy saga, try the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Jhereg is the first published but not the first chronologically, but it serves as a good introduction.

Last edited by maddz; 04-16-2017 at 05:01 AM.
maddz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #200
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
If you want Eddings, I prefer The Elenium and The Tamuli series. I read all back in the day, but The Belgeriad and sequels got culled a long time back, whereas the others remain in my library and get reread every so often (although I'll shift them to ebook when the price drops suffiently).

I think my preference is to do with the fact that The Elenium and Tamuli series are focused on the adult members of the party (there are YA members but the PoV is by and large not on them), whereas The Belgeriad is very much a coming of age series which gets old real fast.

If you want a good fantasy saga, try the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Jhereg is the first published but not the first chronologically, but it serves as a good introduction.
Different strokes for different folks. I still prefer the Belgeriad over any of Eddings other series. I do like the Elenium and Tamuli, but the Belgeriad is my favorite.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #201
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I can second Long Way to an Angry Planet and it's recently published sequel.

I also devoured Stephen Euin Cobb's hard scifi as well as Richard Roberts' more fanciful (and fun!) caped camp.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #202
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J Bailey View Post

Anything Gaiman (I love how he makes magical realism come alive),
Gaiman is an odd one. When I like his books, I really love them! Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust, not to mention his Sandman graphic novels. Top level stuff! Then sometimes he does something I just can't relate to. Anansi Boys was a DNF for me and I'm struggling through American Gods at present. Other people love them so it has to come down to individual taste.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #203
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Gaiman is an odd one. When I like his books, I really love them! Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust, not to mention his Sandman graphic novels. Top level stuff! Then sometimes he does something I just can't relate to. Anansi Boys was a DNF for me and I'm struggling through American Gods at present. Other people love them so it has to come down to individual taste.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:38 AM   #204
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
I listened to the whole thing for the first time as an adult a few years ago, and can't say much in its favor except that it was good for putting me to sleep. I don't think much fantasy from that time period has aged well. Eddings really turns the questionable racial allegory up to 11, but worse, his stuff just doesn't stand up to the kind of intricate, character-driven fantasy we've seen in the last 10-20 years. Eddings and Jordan seem amateurish compared to a lot of stuff coming out lately.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:46 PM   #205
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I listened to the whole thing for the first time as an adult a few years ago, and can't say much in its favor except that it was good for putting me to sleep. I don't think much fantasy from that time period has aged well. Eddings really turns the questionable racial allegory up to 11, but worse, his stuff just doesn't stand up to the kind of intricate, character-driven fantasy we've seen in the last 10-20 years. Eddings and Jordan seem amateurish compared to a lot of stuff coming out lately.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. A lot of people really love George RR Martin, but I've never managed to get past book one. I've tried it a couple of times, but just never could bring myself to care about any of the characters. I still re-read authors like Eddings and David Gemmell. I guess I've always been more drawn to story-driven than character-driven.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #206
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Well I've read American Gods and I've read the Sandman graphic novels. What else should I be looking at from Gaiman?
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:28 PM   #207
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
Well I've read American Gods and I've read the Sandman graphic novels. What else should I be looking at from Gaiman?
That depends. There is almost always something distinctly Gaiman about the voice, but the types of story vary widely - so there is no guarantee you will like everything you find. I'm not a big fan of American Gods, but I absolutely love Stardust, Neverwhere and The Graveyard Book. I enjoyed Anansi Boys and The Ocean at the End of the Lane. For me Coraline was only so so.

I also really like Good Omens, which is Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, but Gaiman's voice isn't quite so distinct in there - to be expected I suppose, the book really is a blend of the two of them.

I haven't yet read Gaiman's most recent releases but plan to soon.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:30 AM   #208
OverHaze
Connoisseur
OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverHaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2
Has anyone seen any reviews of The Gods of Sagittarius yet? It would seem to fit the category Lovecraftian Space Opera I was talking about earlier in the thread. There is a real lack of unknowable cosmic horror in Sci-Fi.
OverHaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #209
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverHaze View Post
I'm getting stick to do death of reading variations on the "space US/Space UN vs the colonists" theme in contemporary Sci-fi. I want some cool aliens damn it! Wide vistas, unimaginable strangeness.
Read Banks.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #210
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
The Three-Body Problem / Remembrance of Earth's Past trilogy by Cixin Liu is very good and has some very strange and in some cases completely mysterious aliens. These books are very different from normal military sci-fi or space opera, not particularly fast paced though if that makes a difference.
The first two are good, but I'm coming to the conclusion the third one is bad. It's glacial and miserable (so far). Think I might give up. I kept going on the 2nd one despite the awful translation and wooden prose because the story arc kept pulling me back. The third seems to lack an arc, so far. Not sure I can be bothered.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote