Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #196
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
It's been decades since I read th Belgariad, but I do recall plowing through a lot of it back then.
I tried Belgariad but somehow just couldn't get into it.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #197
Dazrin
▲▲▼▼◀▶◀▶ⒷⒶ
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (RIP K3 3G), various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I re-read it earlier this year and really loved it but I think it is one of those that if you didn't read it as a teen or maybe early 20's it isn't going to be that great. I know I wouldn't have loved it if it was a re-read this time.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #198
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
If I recall, the entire Belgariad could be condensed down to one book without the camping and cooking scenes.

Some books I love (recently):

Anything Gaiman (I love how he makes magical realism come alive),
Expanse series (truly alien aliens),
Culture series,
Revelation Space series,
Dresden series,
Kingkiller Chronicles,
Hard Luck Hank series (simple wacky sci-fi fun),
John Dies at the End series (particularly book 1),
The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet,
Cosmic Banditos,
Solaris,
Schismatrix Plus, and
The Magicians series (I have not watched the TV show so do not know how and if they compare).

There is so much good fiction out there that it's hard to choose.
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #199
maddz
Addict
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
If you want Eddings, I prefer The Elenium and The Tamuli series. I read all back in the day, but The Belgeriad and sequels got culled a long time back, whereas the others remain in my library and get reread every so often (although I'll shift them to ebook when the price drops suffiently).

I think my preference is to do with the fact that The Elenium and Tamuli series are focused on the adult members of the party (there are YA members but the PoV is by and large not on them), whereas The Belgeriad is very much a coming of age series which gets old real fast.

If you want a good fantasy saga, try the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Jhereg is the first published but not the first chronologically, but it serves as a good introduction.

Last edited by maddz; 04-16-2017 at 05:01 AM.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:38 AM   #200
pwalker8
Wizard
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
If you want Eddings, I prefer The Elenium and The Tamuli series. I read all back in the day, but The Belgeriad and sequels got culled a long time back, whereas the others remain in my library and get reread every so often (although I'll shift them to ebook when the price drops suffiently).

I think my preference is to do with the fact that The Elenium and Tamuli series are focused on the adult members of the party (there are YA members but the PoV is by and large not on them), whereas The Belgeriad is very much a coming of age series which gets old real fast.

If you want a good fantasy saga, try the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Jhereg is the first published but not the first chronologically, but it serves as a good introduction.
Different strokes for different folks. I still prefer the Belgeriad over any of Eddings other series. I do like the Elenium and Tamuli, but the Belgeriad is my favorite.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #201
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
I can second Long Way to an Angry Planet and it's recently published sequel.

I also devoured Stephen Euin Cobb's hard scifi as well as Richard Roberts' more fanciful (and fun!) caped camp.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #202
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J Bailey View Post

Anything Gaiman (I love how he makes magical realism come alive),
Gaiman is an odd one. When I like his books, I really love them! Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust, not to mention his Sandman graphic novels. Top level stuff! Then sometimes he does something I just can't relate to. Anansi Boys was a DNF for me and I'm struggling through American Gods at present. Other people love them so it has to come down to individual taste.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 AM   #203
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Gaiman is an odd one. When I like his books, I really love them! Ocean at the End of the Lane, Stardust, not to mention his Sandman graphic novels. Top level stuff! Then sometimes he does something I just can't relate to. Anansi Boys was a DNF for me and I'm struggling through American Gods at present. Other people love them so it has to come down to individual taste.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote