Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Left-handed or Right-handed? Which are you?
Right handed 81 68.07%
Left handed 30 25.21%
Ambidextrous 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #136
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Only simultaneously? Or other words too?

Question for all... WHY?? Why are we almost three times the world 'norm' for percentage of lefties?

Stitchawl
Why not? Aren't there always exceptions to the rule?
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM   #137
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
Why not? Aren't there always exceptions to the rule?
In the case of percentage of lefties, absolutely!
The percentage is MUCH higher in the Arts.
Much lower in Math and Science.
But why so much higher among 'Readers?'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #138
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
No idea.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #139
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Simple really, creative ppl like to read more then boring ppl.

Last edited by VydorScope; 02-06-2013 at 10:21 PM.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #140
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Smile

I was ambidexterous as a child, but was soon made to conform.

I was able to play a mean game of table tennis.

Here are a few interesting facts about 'lefties'.

There is also an interesting theory that religious intitutions did not want the right side of the brain to develope into higher learning.

Jill Bolty-Taylor made an interesting video about what happened to her when she had an aneurism in her left brain.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 AM   #141
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
In the case of percentage of lefties, absolutely!
The percentage is MUCH higher in the Arts.
Much lower in Math and Science.
But why so much higher among 'Readers?'

Stitchawl
Because right-handed people tend to like numbers and figures and logic (maths and science, as you said), so they tend to prefer realities, hence the higher percentage of lefties among readers
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #142
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It could also be that readers are bad at science and math, and that reading about fictitious worlds and people(s) is keeping us collectively stupid. After you'd stop reading, you'd become right-handed in time.

(Dnt tk ths t srsly pls )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #143
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Because right-handed people tend to like numbers and figures and logic (maths and science, as you said), so they tend to prefer realities, hence the higher percentage of lefties among readers
Imagination is a part of reality. You're not dead when you're dreaming 1/3 of your lifetime, you're still part of the world just like anything and anybody else.

Right-handed: Maths, Science
Left-handed: Art, Philosophy, Literature; oh, and Maths and Science, too.

medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #144
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
It could also be that readers are bad at science and math, and that reading about fictitious worlds and people(s) is keeping us collectively stupid. After you'd stop reading, you'd become right-handed in time.
I like this theory, but I can't test it because I'm already right-handed.

Anybody else?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #145
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
Imagination is a part of reality. You're not dead when you're dreaming 1/3 of your lifetime, you're still part of the world just like anything and anybody else.

Right-handed: Maths, Science
Left-handed: Art, Philosophy, Literature; oh, and Maths and Science, too.

Hmmm. What I meant is, on the general, right handed people prefer practicality - after all, what is reality and what is not? It's hard to draw a hard line between every two concepts.

Anyway, back to the topic, I think the difference, while considerable, is not enough to draw any conclusion - yet. If it rises to about 40% and above, then maybe it's concrete
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #146
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
Anyway, back to the topic, I think the difference, while considerable, is not enough to draw any conclusion - yet. If it rises to about 40% and above, then maybe it's concrete
With the world's norm at 10-15%, I'd think seeing almost 30% to be telling. Obviously, the more people we have in the poll the better the accuracy, but with over a hundred already, that more than many business statistical groups use. I'm willing to think that we readers have a higher percentage of left handed people than the world norm.

Stitchawl
Old 02-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #147
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Maybe left handers are more willing to vote in polls or are more willing to open a thread about right vs left handers. They may just be more interested in the topic. It took me a week to open this thread.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #148
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Maybe left handers are more willing to vote in polls or are more willing to open a thread about right vs left handers. They may just be more interested in the topic. It took me a week to open this thread.
This is entirely possible.
Or (E.)

Stitchawl
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #149
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I opened it for three reasons:

1. My Dad was a southpaw.
2. My ex-wife was a lefty.
3. I was left eye dominant.

While all of those are past tense, I still have an interest in the phenomenon

The third one begs the question; if an amputee loses their dominant limb, do they adapt by becoming opposite dominant, or do they remain right or left dominant, but just train their non dominant limb to function as if it was the dominant one?

In my case, am I still left eye dominate even though it doesn’t work anymore? At this point I really don’t know.

When doing a one eyed task, like aiming something, I nearly always go immediately to my right eye, but when I first lost my left eye central vision I would usually try the left eye first then switch.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #150
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I opened it for three reasons:

1. My Dad was a southpaw.
2. My ex-wife was a lefty.
3. I was left eye dominant.

While all of those are past tense, I still have an interest in the phenomenon

The third one begs the question; if an amputee loses their dominant limb, do they adapt by becoming opposite dominant, or do they remain right or left dominant, but just train their non dominant limb to function as if it was the dominant one?

In my case, am I still left eye dominate even though it doesn’t work anymore? At this point I really don’t know.

When doing a one eyed task, like aiming something, I nearly always go immediately to my right eye, but when I first lost my left eye central vision I would usually try the left eye first then switch.

Check out the research done regarding the separation of the Corpus Collosum in the brain. Some pretty interesting results there... Of hand I don't remember what may have been said about eye dominance, but they certainly did check for just about everything in their studies.

Stitchawl