Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quit while you're ahead...

Advice from Philip Roth to a young writer who has just had his first book published:

Quote:
“Yeah, this is great. But I would quit while you’re ahead. Really, it’s an awful field. Just torture. Awful. You write and write, and you have to throw almost all of it away because it’s not any good. I would say just stop now. You don’t want to do this to yourself. That’s my advice to you.”
http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...e-life-advice/
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
But if you have to write.....

same is true with visual arts, songwriting, ....

Wonderful Link/article! Thank you!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Bah. Never quit, never surrender! That's my advice!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Advice from Philip Roth to a young writer who has just had his first book published:

http://www.theparisreview.org/blog/2...e-life-advice/
I would just pass that off as a "sardonic quip" and nothing more.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
If every writer who had ever tried to write were to follow that advice we'd have very little to read. Besides if it were easy to do then everyone would be doing it. And there is a feeling you get when you see something that you have written in print that you can't quite describe to someone who hasn't done so I think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 03:02 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
He speaks as if it was a choice.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinC View Post
Sounds like the advice a schoolyard bully gives a child who made the Honor Roll one too many times.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Every job/calling/whatever sucks. Even the ones you can't resist. However much fun/joy/fulfillment there is, there's also work in the mix. I think if you do anything long enough, you forget how everything else sucks just as much (and in some cases, more).

On a less cynical note, he may just have been trying to jar the guy into thinking things through. He's probably seen a lot of regret. Quickly scanning the link, looks like after the stardust cleared the new author did just that. Thinking about things can be helpful even if the thinking doesn't change your mind.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A very good point David. Roth talks about throwing so much of what you write away, as if that doesn't happen in other jobs. What about all the software written for old and out-of-date operating systems? Who wants them now? At least books have a chance (if only a slim one) at a longer life.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Sounds like the advice a schoolyard bully gives a child who made the Honor Roll one too many times.
I sense frothing and roiling beneath that gentle exterior.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I sense frothing and roiling beneath that gentle exterior.
Who, mine or his?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
A very good point David. Roth talks about throwing so much of what you write away, as if that doesn't happen in other jobs. What about all the software written for old and out-of-date operating systems? Who wants them now? At least books have a chance (if only a slim one) at a longer life.
Not Technology books.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
Every job/calling/whatever sucks. Even the ones you can't resist. However much fun/joy/fulfillment there is, there's also work in the mix. I think if you do anything long enough, you forget how everything else sucks just as much (and in some cases, more).

On a less cynical note, he may just have been trying to jar the guy into thinking things through. He's probably seen a lot of regret. Quickly scanning the link, looks like after the stardust cleared the new author did just that. Thinking about things can be helpful even if the thinking doesn't change your mind.
That's what I meant by
Quote:
if it were easy to do then everyone would be doing it.
There is no such thing as a job that is without some struggle. Even the people who manage CGI effects for the movies have their struggles I imagine.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #14
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Not Technology books.
Don't you keep all your DOS Assembler Programming manuals, and Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit manuals so you can sit down in front of a cosy fire for a fun night reading?

I think it was the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit that made me saddest. Besides being a collection almost too heavy to pick up, when they eventually went for recycling I felt like Bart Simpson returning his schools books: "see, some in still in their original wrapper".
Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Don't you keep all your DOS Assembler Programming manuals, and Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit manuals so you can sit down in front of a cosy fire for a fun night reading?

I think it was the Windows 2000 Server Resource Kit that made me saddest. Besides being a collection almost too heavy to pick up, when they eventually went for recycling I felt like Bart Simpson returning his schools books: "see, some in still in their original wrapper".

Interestingly I do have an original release of "MS-Dos 3.2" that includes two 5.25 inch floppy disks.

I just wish I'd kept the original 1.0 release.