Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
HowardBrazee
Zealot
HowardBrazee began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Has Kindle DRM changed?

My procedure when I buy a book from Amazon is to first buy it - and it will go to my iPad's Kindle app. Then I go to my Amazon's book page and download it again - this time to the Kindle app on my Mac. Then I find where that book is by looking at the date in my Kindle library. I open Calibre and add that book. This worked in August allowing me to convert it to .epub.

This time I got a message window saying:

Error: No key found. Please report this failure for help.... /Users/HBrazee/Desktop/The Foundling (4478)/The Foundling - Georgette Heyer.azw. I edit the metadata to change the name from "Heyer, Georgette" to "Georgette Heyer" and to get the cover back. Then I try to convert, but am told that the book is locked by DRM. Then I delete the book from Calibre.

I can read the book on my Kindle app on my iPad or on my Mac (but I would never read it on my Mac).
HowardBrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Best for you to head over to Apprentice's Alf's home and ask there... You DO have the current version of his tools????
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep first thing to check is that you have the latest version of the tools and the latest version of Calibre installed.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
HowardBrazee
Zealot

It's easy to see that I have the latest version of Calibre. But that's all that is easy for me. The book is an .AZW book. The Calibre for OSX plug in window shows a bunch of Conversion Input plugins, including AZW4 Input (1.0.0) by John Schember, which doesn't look like the right thing - but is closer than any other plugins in that section.

Telling Calibre to update plugins finds an empty window.

I downloaded tools_v5.3.1 from Apprentice Alf's link and saw some files are different from those in the directory where I stored them in the past, and copied the new ones over. But I knew that would be insufficient - there has to be some way to implement them. I tried running a couple of programs, but need to look up how to tell Mountain Lion to run the program not supported by Apple (I kept trying hitting control, command, option, etc while clicking it). But those aren't my goal - my goal is to get the plugin working again. The KindleBooks folder has a bunch of files in it's lib which I copied over to a similar folder in my Calibre files.

I didn't expect copying files would be sufficient, but I am not finding out what I'm supposed to do to make sure my plugins are updated and working.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
I didn't expect copying files would be sufficient, but I am not finding out what I'm supposed to do to make sure my plugins are updated and working.
You find that out by reading the READMEs provided and reading the FAQ and/or asking questions (in the comments section) on the blog where you downloaded the tools from.

The plugins are not any official (sanctioned) part of calibre and are unsupported here. Mobile Read's policies do not allow any specific instructions/discussions about using/installing those plugins (or for DRM removal in general).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-23-2012 at 09:29 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i am not aware of any change at amazon.

as part of a debugging project for latest K4PC, referenced in Kindle forum, I have been "buying" a free bestseller from kindle store almost every day, & have yet to find one that did not convert.

my workflow is buy - send to kindle for PC, add to calibre, convert to epub - no problems
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
HowardBrazee
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Best for you to head over to Apprentice's Alf's home and ask there... You DO have the current version of his tools????
It seems dumb - but I haven't been able to find where to write my message to a forum there.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardBrazee View Post
It seems dumb - but I haven't been able to find where to write my message to a forum there.
The very first blog post has an active comments section. Add a comment.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I don't know if this will help, but I found that, after installing the latest plugins, when I drop an AZW into Calibre, it no longer converts it automatically to Mobi as it did before. I have to explicitly do the conversion. Howard, you might try doing that, on the off-chance that you are having the same problem as I did.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

This conversation really needs to take place on Alf's website, but I'll try:

@Mike L. The plugin doesn't do any conversion. It never did (with the exception of Topaz). It just changes the file's extension. What you are experiencing is the result of Amazon's KF8 format becoming more and more prolific. A KF8 ebook (DRMed or UnDRMed) is not going to be readable by any device/app that doesn't support KF8 (.AZW3).

If you don't "end up" with a .mobi, that's because it was never a mobi to begin with (regardless of the file's Amazon extension). It was a KF8 (or possibly topaz) ebook and will have to be converted to the older mobi format to be readable on devices/apps that don't support KF8.

In short: everything is behaving as expected. It's just that many people aren't quite hip to the changes that the shift toward KF8 has introduced to a lot of people's existing workflows.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-24-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Thanks for the clarification, DiapDealer. Actually, I think I already knew all that. I was just having difficulty expressing it.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was just having difficulty expressing it.
As do we all.