Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #14416
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Wow, a blast rom the past (the 60's) and one of the very first kindle books I got (it was and still is FREE!) and re-read. Here's the free amazon link - The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley (gotta spell her name correctly ). .
It's certainly out of copyright in the US, as the copyright wasn't renewed. However, it's not out of copyright in the UK.

It was published in 1961. When the copyright wasn't renewed, it fell into the US public domain 28 years later in 1989. However, in 1989 the rule of the shorter term did not apply in the UK, and so it's in copyright in the UK until 70 years after the authors death, and will enter public domain in the UK in 2070.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #14417
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's certainly out of copyright in the US, as the copyright wasn't renewed. However, it's not out of copyright in the UK.

It was published in 1961. When the copyright wasn't renewed, it fell into the US public domain 28 years later in 1989. However, in 1989 the rule of the shorter term did not apply in the UK, and so it's in copyright in the UK until 70 years after the authors death, and will enter public domain in the UK in 2070.
Oops! I wasn't thinking of the geography angle!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #14418
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't think it gets the full 70 years if its copyright doesn't fall under the 1996 Act. I believe it gets the 50 years in force at the time, so we'll only have to wait until 2050.

I finished Forerunner by Andre Norton. It was so-so. I have also now finished The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists! by Gideon Defoe which I started early in the year and forgot about. Fun, but over-praised. It's a good thing my (paperback) copy was free to promote the movie.

Planning to start Captain Vorpatril's Alliance by Lois McMaster Bujold tonight.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #14419
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Wow, a blast rom the past (the 60's) and one of the very first kindle books I got (it was and still is FREE!) and re-read. Here's the free amazon link - The Door Through Space by Marion Zimmer Bradley (gotta spell her name correctly ). .
I think will try that, but not sure about that version, almost all of the comments (5 out of 6) say it caused their Kindle to freeze up. So I will read it in the Cloud Reader instead just in case. It's short, so a little reading on the computer won't bother me too much.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #14420
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool alternate sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think will try that, but not sure about that version, almost all of the comments (5 out of 6) say it caused their Kindle to freeze up. So I will read it in the Cloud Reader instead just in case. It's short, so a little reading on the computer won't bother me too much.
Then get it from The Gutenberg Project or the Patricia Clark Memorial Library here on MobileRead. Neither should cause you any trouble.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-19-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #14421
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captkjaneway View Post
Now onto The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruis Zafron......20% in, intrigued and looking forward to finishing
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. A lot of people find it slow going in the beginning and give up early on it, which is a shame. It gets better.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #14422
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I just finished Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow and started on the Steve Hockensmith's prequel to Seth Grahame-Smith's (and Jane Austin's) novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I really didn't like Seth Grahame-Smith's novel, but as Steve Hockensmith is one of my favorite authors, I thought I'd give the prequel a shot, and I'm glad I did. The prequel, so far, is funny and moves quickly. Hockensmith has not captured Jane Austin's style in the same way that Grahame-Smith did, but has produced in its stead a story that's far more enjoyable to read. Hockensmith has since written a sequel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After, which I may read later.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #14423
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I just finished Subliminal: How Your Unconscious Mind Rules Your Behavior by Leonard Mlodinow and started on the Steve Hockensmith's prequel to Seth Grahame-Smith's (and Jane Austin's) novel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls. I really didn't like Seth Grahame-Smith's novel, but as Steve Hockensmith is one of my favorite authors, I thought I'd give the prequel a shot, and I'm glad I did. The prequel, so far, is funny and moves quickly. Hockensmith has not captured Jane Austin's style in the same way that Grahame-Smith did, but has produced in its stead a story that's far more enjoyable to read. Hockensmith has since written a sequel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After, which I may read later.
I agree that Hockensmith's book is much, much better than Grahame-Smith's. In fact, I gave up on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and I very rarely stop reading a book part-way through.

Really like the Halloween avatar, Tom.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #14424
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Door Through Space by Marin Zimmer Bradley.
Goodness! A Darkover novel in all but name, really. Well, OK, obviously not quite, but one can certainly see the very distinct resemblance. An interesting read. I enjoyed it.

Next I read a Novella by Brandon Sanderson: Legion, which I got at Kobo with a 90% off code.

A fascinating idea, and I'd be interested in reading a longer story involving this character.

And now I'm reading The Keeper's Price by Marion Zimmer Bradly et al., an authorised collection of short Darkover stories by various authors that I got in a Fictionwise 60% off sale.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #14425
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Finished Saltation by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller (audio book) and moving on to Ghost Ship.

Meanwhile, reading Monster Hunter Vendetta by Larry Correia. I can't remember why I read these things, but somehow I do...

Next up on the eBook side is Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood. This is the first of the Phryne Fisher books and is getting rave reviews from my DW.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14426
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Helix Wars by Eric Brown. The sequel to Helix and a very enjoyable sci-fi adventure.

"The Helix: a vast spiral of ten thousand worlds turning around its sun. Aeons ago, the enigmatic Builders constructed the Helix as a refuge for alien races on the verge of extinction.

Two hundred years ago, humankind came to the Helix aboard a great colony ship, and the Builders conferred on them the mantle of peacekeepers. For that long, peace has reigned on the Helix. But when shuttle pilot Jeff Ellis crash-lands on the world of Phandra, he interrupts a barbarous invasion from the neighbouring Sporelli - who scheme to track down and exterminate Ellis before he can return to New Earth and inform the peacekeepers."
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #14427
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
<snip>

Next up on the eBook side is Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood. This is the first of the Phryne Fisher books and is getting rave reviews from my DW.
I have this first one on my kindle and haven't read it yet. Let us know what you think about it.

I have Blood Lines by James Rollins in Hardback that I am trying to decide if I want to start it or search my TBR pile for something else.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #14428
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Jim Butcher and Robert A. Heinlein

Quote:
White Night was as exciting and suspenseful as it gets! Just loved this re-read!!

I'm now beginning a re-read of The Dresden Files #10, Small Favor.

This will leave me 3 more Dresden Files novels to re-read before D-day (Dresden-day) 2012, November 27th, the release date for The Dresden Files #14, Cold Days!

Small Favor was a real re-read pleasure. Loved it!

Now a short break in The Dresden Files to read a 1964 novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Farnham's Freehold, an apocalyptic and mostly post-apocalyptic tale starting in the early 60's. It's actually a re-read for me as I've previously read pretty much eveything that Heinlein wrote. But I don't normally call anything I read pre-Kindle a re-read.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #14429
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Hmmm. I haven't read that one in 40 years, at least. Might just be time again. I remember it with pleasure, but then my reading tastes have changed a bit over the years.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #14430
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Robert A. Heinlein

Quote:
Small Favor was a real re-read pleasure. Loved it!

Now a short break in The Dresden Files to read a 1964 novel by Robert A. Heinlein, Farnham's Freehold, an apocalyptic and mostly post-apocalyptic tale starting in the early 60's. It's actually a re-read for me as I've previously read pretty much eveything that Heinlein wrote. But I don't normally call anything I read pre-Kindle a re-read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm. I haven't read that one in 40 years, at least. Might just be time again. I remember it with pleasure, but then my reading tastes have changed a bit over the years.
Assuming you were referring to Farnham's Freehold, I also first (and last, till now) read it in that era (actually more like 48 years ago)! I discussed it with a friend 15 years later, but didn't re-read it then. He disliked it and I, of course didn't agree. He claimed that the book was an excuse for the affair that led to his second divorce and third marraige. I disagreed.