Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
We know you will be waiting for Note 3 when Note 2 is out...
haha! it's not my fault they keep coming out with new devices so close to each other
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #17
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Or the pletora of copy cats that will inevitably follow the Note’s success.
Not sure anyone that makes a pen enabled tablet is a copy cat, they have been around for eons. Heck all my old pens for my 2003 HP TC1100 work on my Galaxy Note 10.1..

Which I'm really happy about!

Last edited by Synergi; 08-21-2012 at 11:57 PM.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
"experts" are paid by Apple.
Android Police:

Quote:
This is the build quality I would expect in a $100 Chinese-knockoff "Android Tablet" from the bottom shelf of a Kmart, not a $500 tablet from the world's largest Android OEM. Samsung should be ashamed.
Quote:
It's a 1280x800 LCD. Great. Except that you can get a 1920x1080 display from Asus in the TF700 or a 2048x1536 display from Apple. A tablet is just a screen, so skimping on it is an instant deal breaker.

So what happened here, Samsung? I thought you guys were supposed to have great display technology. You guys manufacture the iPad display, so don't tell me you can't do it. Are you just skimping out on components to boost your profit margin?
Quote:
It's been about 1 month since Google forever changed the Android tablet landscape with the release of the Nexus 7, and it's clear the Note 10.1 was designed and priced in the pre-N7 dark ages. This tablet is bad at any price point, but, somehow, Samsung found the courage to charge five hundred dollars for it. That's 2-and-a-half Nexus 7s, and, to be honest, the N7 feels more expensive than the Note 10.1.

The saddest thing is, Samsung can do so much better. The Series 9 laptop guys make beautiful, kick-ass products out of aluminum every day. In fact, they use some crazy aluminum alloy called "Duralumin." I want that. You guys also make the iPad display, why don't you just whip up a widescreen version? Is the mobile division entirely run by passionless, cost-cutting bean-counters? Show some pride in your work, pull the best parts of Samsung together, and make something great.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/08...nt-money-grab/
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Tech pundits are usually paid, biased, or disconnected*. There are few that I trust or put little value in their "expert" view. I put much more value it consumers reviews, however there are some really good reivewers like Lisa Glade from MobileTechReview does a very detailed and good job. Very unbiased.
So she liked your favourite device?
And reading her iPad 3 review, it includes:
Quote:
Assuredly it's sharper with somewhat richer colors, but if you head to an Apple store and look at the iPad 2 and new iPad side-by-side, I'll wager you'd have trouble saying which is which at first and even second glance.
Seriously? I find it hard to believe that if you open anything text-based, like a book or web page, on both devices and viewed them side by side that the difference wouldn't be obvious. It certainly is for me, owning both devices.
And a review that includes the phrases "Another year, another Apple tablet and ensuing craze", "Despite Apple's extreme marketing claims", "or an Apple lover who wants to have the latest and greatest from Cupertino." doesn't exactly come across as very unbiased.
We naturally tend to agree with and respect those who hold the same opinions we do.
You can always pick specific phrases (as I have above) to make someone look biased, that doesn't mean that they are.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi
...I happen to like the iPad better based on screen, build quality and on software....
This is incorrect there are Android tablets with the same build quality and resolution as the iPad 3 (Transformer 700).
Transformer 700: 1920x1200
iPad 3: 2048x1536
That is roughly 36% more pixels on the iPad.

Last edited by murraypaul; 08-22-2012 at 05:09 AM.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And a review that includes the phrases "Another year, another Apple tablet and ensuing craze", "Despite Apple's extreme marketing claims", "or an Apple lover who wants to have the latest and greatest from Cupertino." doesn't exactly come across as very unbiased.
Wow grow some skin. I don't see how your taking issue with anything she said in your quotes. With the exception of the second quotes those are more complements than insults.

Quote:
We naturally tend to agree with and respect those who hold the same opinions we do.
Agreed I'm of the opinion that I want an unbiased review where the reviewer provides facts and omits preference. If the reviewer holds the same opinion, then I tend to like their review.

Quote:
Transformer 700: 1920x1200
iPad 3: 2048x1536
That is roughly 36% more pixels on the iPad.
I'm looking at the DPI (224 (Transf) vs 264(iPad)) which is about a 15% difference. The iPad DPI is better but at reading distance it's negligible. My daughters iPad 3 I can clearly see it's a much better screen than my Nook but the improvement is not that noticeable over my TPrime. I don't see it being that much better than a TInfinity unless you get close and compare them side by side.

Using screen res only is not so good of a measure because if the screen is larger you still might see the grain. You see this with some android phones vs iPhones. They have higher res than the iPhone but the screen size is also much larger. The result is those Android phones have a smaller DPI and not a crisp image as the iPhone. The newer phones like the Gnexus, S3, Hox have DPI that are now near 300 and now have the similar DPI.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:22 AM   #21
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Wow grow some skin. I don't see how your taking issue with anything she said in your quotes. With the exception of the second quotes those are more complements than insults.
I was deliberately overreacting to the quotes to make a point:
Quote:
You can always pick specific phrases (as I have above) to make someone look biased, that doesn't mean that they are.
Clearly I didn't make it very well
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote