Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #76
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Soo.............. Has anyone tried the new 4S yet? Is Siri all that?

I'm with Sprint, and I have four months till my contract is up. I'm looking at reviews now. the iPhone has some great competition in the form of the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC Evo.
From what I hear, people are already complaining of slow data speeds on Sprint.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:00 PM   #77
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well,

I visited a Mall today and played with two phones: Samsung Galaxy SII and iPhone. I honestly can say that I would not buy the Apple one. I am quite happy with my iPad and the new iOS5, but the new iPhone did not impressed me at all.

Good resolution, portable, but besides that, not much for that price.

The Galaxy SII was really fast, nice and big screen but not too big! Similar battery life (based on I was told by both sales representatives) and it was very fast browsing Internet (remember, same Mall, same coverage area, different providers of course)

I don't want to make this thread a cellphone war or something like that, but do not understand the whole iPhone fever.

Disclaimer: I own two iPads, not a fanboy of any systems though! I just love technology.
Not a fanboy either, but according to Reuters, significant numbers of people are upgrading to iPhone 4S from other platforms. It would be intersting to know why.

Siri may be the big reason.

Quote:
Away from the notoriously fickle consumer-gadget marketplace, Apple also appears to be making strides.

Apple appears to be a winner when workers get to pick their own phones, in a trend known as the consumerization of IT. Companies can save money when they let employees buy their own phones and pay their own monthly bills.

An Aite Group poll of 402 wealth managers conducted before the outage found that 45 percent would choose an iPhone or iPad, compared with 14 percent for a BlackBerry.

"Siri is pretty amazing. With Android, you have to memorize commands. I don't understand why it can't be on all (Apple) phones," said James Thompson, who had braved the six-hour drive from Los Angeles to San Francisco just to get in line -- overnight -- with his brother.
LINK
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:17 PM   #78
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I have nothing to add to the thread, just wanted to highlight this gem of journalism: "Companies can save money when they let employees buy their own phones and pay their own monthly bills."
Really? Is that a surprise?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:46 PM   #79
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Not a fanboy either, but according to Reuters, significant numbers of people are upgrading to iPhone 4S from other platforms. It would be intersting to know why.

Siri may be the big reason.
I'm not a fanboy either, but I felt like one when I showed up at our AT&T store an hour before it opened. In my defense I was ready to do a driveby and not bother if the line looked too long. As it was I was probably the 25th person or so. The line didn't get a whole lot longer than that - nothing like the around the building lines I was worried about.

I don't know about other people, but my wife and I were both using the iPhone 3G. When our contracts expired in March, we decided to hold off for whatever upgrade was coming, so we'd have new devices for our new two year contract. by the time the phone was released, our old iphones were so slow (it was a major mistake to upgrade them to iOS 4) that we wanted to make sure to get upgraded before the shipping times got too long.

Several other people in line mentioned that they had waited with expired contracts as well - at least part of the sales are people that normally would have upgraded earlier this year.

Siri is amusing and I can see some real potential for it, but thus far the servers have been up and down so much that I don't see depending on it. It's the kind of thing that you have to be in the habit of using for it to really be a productivity improvement. Siri alone is no reason to upgrade, IMO.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #80
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:

I'm with Sprint, and I have four months till my contract is up. I'm looking at reviews now. the iPhone has some great competition in the form of the Samsung Galaxy S and the HTC Evo.
I'm on AT&T, and upgraded from the 3GS.
1) I actually can get a signal now at home, so they definitely improved the antenna from the 3GS. My wife never had grip of death issues with her 4, but the 4S gets even better reception so far, at least in our first check. The 3GS got zero signal here.

2) I never really had major speed issues with the 3GS, even with 2 days of iOS5. But the 4S is really, really quick.

3) My wife has had a 4, so I had seen the Retina display. But like most things, you can't really appreciate features until you actually use them for a while. The screen is just really, really sharp. Can't go back to the 3GS now, and even the iPad 2 looks a bit pixelly now in comparison. And it isn't just resolution-the images look like they are on the *outside* of the glass, not beneath the glass. It's hard to explain

4) As GlennD noted, Siri is fun, and definitely works better than I would have thought possible, at least within the limits it works in. It makes a huge difference if you have a lot of data already in your contacts list, at least when talking to it about family members and friends. And Apple's servers have been pretty flaky over the weekend, so sometimes it just can't find anything.

I'm still not sure if I'll get in the habit of talking to my phone-I rarely use it as a phone anyways, so am out of practice But from what I have tried, it definitely does it well.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:00 PM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
4) As GlennD noted, Siri is fun, and definitely works better than I would have thought possible, at least within the limits it works in. It makes a huge difference if you have a lot of data already in your contacts list, at least when talking to it about family members and friends. And Apple's servers have been pretty flaky over the weekend, so sometimes it just can't find anything.

I'm still not sure if I'll get in the habit of talking to my phone-I rarely use it as a phone anyways, so am out of practice But from what I have tried, it definitely does it well.
Perhaps in the future Siri will learned to accept text messaging

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 PM   #82
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm really liking Siri for two things - reminders and text messaging. I'm not in the habit of wearing my bluetooth headset all the time, but I'm finding it very convenient to wear it while I work, so I can tap it and use Siri to set a reminder or send a text. The reminders sync to iCloud, so I get them within a couple of minutes on my ipad.

The one problem with messaging is that you can SEND without picking up your phone, but there's no way to have replies read to you. So you end up having to have the phone at hand anyway. That kind of kills the usefulness for texting while driving.

It's also useful for cooking - throw something in the oven and "Set timer for 10 minutes", instead of wondering where the kids put the kitchen timer this time.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #83
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

I got mine (white 64GB) yesterday. I've mostly just been setting it up, but will probably abuse and confuse Siri today. As an enthusiastic amateur photographer with too many cameras, I'm looking forward to trying out the new camera too, see how it looks compared to my "hipstamatic" 3GS.

FWIW, iCloud is something I've really looked forward to. It has more potential in our iPhones and iPads and iMacs household than I realised, so now we're sharing a calendar and contacts across all "devices"...I was mostly looking forward just to the Photo Stream.

I did find, on the 3GS, that there were some odd performance hits. It wasn't slow so much as it occasionally seemed to have short pauses when asked to do something, like open an app. I don't use Safari all that much on the iPhone, but on the iPad I have had the occasional crash too. Not often, but not something I'd not experienced previously.

Also, I can now type "hell" without it auto-correcting it. I just wish whatever the hell they did to fix that, they'd also done it to it's autocorrecting of "it's" as it's very irritating.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #84
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
@marc,

How you find the phone so far? the Siri did not work to me. And I actually found the screen kind of small for browsing , honestly. I ended buying a Galaxy SII instead.

iCloud works on my iPad 2 but still can't configure it on my MacAir. It keeps saying my router needs to open some ports. The funny thing is that the iPad is being using the cloud backup for days. I'm not gonna open ports on my home router, no way!

Another factor that I considered against iPhone 4S is the available carriers :-(. ... Apple will sell an unlocked version but because the differences in technology won't take full 4G speed on Tmobile, as far as I know and confirmed with Apple guy. As a matter of fact, he was really clear saying that if carrier is going to be Tmobile, I was going to be on my own: zero support.

I don't like ATT and Sprint is a bit more expensive than what I got now from Tmobile.

And you guys are right. Apple is selling iPhones 4a like hot cakes , is insane!

Last edited by jocampo; 10-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #85
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
@marc,

How you find the phone so far? the Siri did not work to me. And I actually found the screen kind of small for browsing , honestly. I ended buying a Galaxy SII instead.
Well, I'm coming from a 3GS, so the 4S seems just about exactly the right size to me. But, actually, the crispness of the screen actually makes the fonts seem smaller, and yet easier to read. It's an odd sensation, not unlikeable (well, the screen's crispness compared to the 3Gs is one of its selling points, I guess ).

I think, if I hadn't gone all Apple-everything, I would find the Galaxy just a tad too big for my liking, though perhaps that's a hypothesis too far (after all, I thought the 3Gs was too big compared to my Nokia 6300). It's interesting to me that people are finding the Galaxy is hitting their "just right" zone. Thinking back to my previous work life, I suspect I might prefer it too. I now definitely feel like playing with one, just to see. How's it working out for you?

Quote:
iCloud works on my iPad 2 but still can't configure it on my MacAir. It keeps saying my router needs to open some ports. The funny thing is that the iPad is being using the cloud backup for days. I'm not gonna open ports on my home router, no way!
Wish I could help you with this. Maybe/hopefully some network folks will be along with some advice. Anyone?

Quote:
Another factor that I considered against iPhone 4S is the available carriers :-(. ... Apple will sell an unlocked version but because the differences in technology won't take full 4G speed on Tmobile, as far as I know and confirmed with Apple guy. As a matter of fact, he was really clear saying that if carrier is going to be Tmobile, I was going to be on my own: zero support.

I don't like ATT and Sprint is a bit more expensive than what I got now from Tmobile.
The network thing over there seems to be a far bigger decider than over here. Not that we don't vary in quality between providers (for instance, Optus obtain their network coverage maps from the first few pages of your average wizards-and-dragons book, Telstra obtain their prices from the accessories guide of the latest Christophorus, and Virgin Mobile obtain their staff from behind the drink sheds of the high school playground), but it seems to be a bigger determinant of hardware purchase there. Is that right? Also, all(?) our plans are data-capped, whereas yours seem to mostly be unlimited.

Quote:
And you guys are right. Apple is selling iPhones 4a like hot cakes , is insane!
Are you calling me crazy?!(*) That's slander! And neither me nor Adrian, my invisible gibbon friend, will stand for it. MODERATORS!

Cheers,
Marc (oh, wait, that's me )

(* To be perfectly honest, this was the first time I did the whole obsessive thing over the release of a product, constantly refreshing my screen when the Apple store went down so that I'd be one of the first to preorder and thus get the phone when it came back up. I felt silly, but am now compensated by the usual warm sense of self-satisfaction )
Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #86
jswinden
Nameless Being

So what happened to all my book covers in iBooks after the iOS 5 upgrade? Now they are all a butt ugly generic cover!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:12 PM   #87
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
So what happened to all my book covers in iBooks after the iOS 5 upgrade? Now they are all a butt ugly generic cover!
Just noticed that as well. Irritating.
(Plus never noticed the blue "NEW" banner on each unread book before)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM   #88
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Just noticed that as well. Irritating.
(Plus never noticed the blue "NEW" banner on each unread book before)
Yes, I just noticed that banner. I sure wish they would update the text rendering.

I'm not impressed with the Messaging or Twitter apps or other things I've seen so far. I won't be using the iCloud, and I'm getting annoyed by the messages trying to get me to activate it. Although tabs in Safari is nice, they did away with tapping the top bar to scroll to the top of the page. I prefer the tap to scroll over the tabs feature.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #89
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, I just noticed that banner. I sure wish they would update the text rendering.

I'm not impressed with the Messaging or Twitter apps or other things I've seen so far. I won't be using the iCloud, and I'm getting annoyed by the messages trying to get me to activate it. Although tabs in Safari is nice, they did away with tapping the top bar to scroll to the top of the page. I prefer the tap to scroll over the tabs feature.
FWIW, my books in iBooks appear to have all their custom covers, not the generic ones (unless I'm misunderstanding). I have memories of iBooks having to do some sort of "reindex" or something in a past upgrade (to app or iOS?)...is it possible that is what is occurring, and you just need to leave it in iBooks for a while?

Also, Safari seems to scroll up via the top bar too. I may be imagining it, but perhaps it requires more precision and to be closer towards where the time is displayed? I could be imagining that, but it certainly still works on my iPad (again, unless I'm misunderstanding).

Note, the above are not "arguments"...just trying to clarify, so we know whether it's a problem specific to individuals rather than iOS. If its specific to some individuals/devices, we can go from there trying to solve it, hopefully.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #90
jswinden
Nameless Being

My books are all side loaded as I never bought from the iBooks store. However all showed their covers properly in iOS 4.3.x. Moot point I guess as I don't read on the iPad anyway what with the terrible text rendering.