Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
alberto-cuda
alberto-cuda began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen
PDF to PDF reflow

Hi all,
if I correctly understand the software architecture of calibre, when a PDF document is reflowed by calibre, it is converted into XML, then back into PDF. Is there any interest in implementing a code path that avoids this two steps algorithm and (when the input format is the same as the output format) allow a plugin to take a shorthand? Do you see that as a severe violation of the design choices?

I'm asking this (sorry if this sounds as an advertisement, it's not -- completely), because I'm writing a tool that reflows PDFs (PDFlow, on Launchpad), and I think it would be nice to integrate it with calibre, in order to avoid loosing metadata and keeping the layout as close as possible to the orifinal document. I could not, however find any obvious way to do that without changing the Plugin API.

Thanks a lot, cheers.
Alberto.
alberto-cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You don't need to change the plugin architecture to integrate this into calibre. You just need to add special case code to plumber.py which is responsible for creating the conversion pipeline.

Basically plumber is passed in the input and output filenames and takes care of building and runing the conversion pipeline. You can have it special case the pdf-to-pdf path.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata, pdf, reflow