Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 04:37 PM   #46
gca3020
gca3020 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
The ironic thing about this is I had the same problem with a Franklin BIB 475 Bible. It always reset in Church but never at home. Eventually, the manufacturer replaced it and the new unit had the SAME PROBLEM. Thus, I never bring that electronic bible to Church anymore.

I had been bringing to Church a NowBible (electronic as well) and never have any problems with that unit.
Maybe God doesn't like Amazon or Franklin? Perhaps a Nook would work better for you.
gca3020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #47
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
First 10 digits of serial #: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)

At least two of us here, who had to return it for replacements, had that information.

It also could be a random problem in all the lots.[/QUOTE]

Question, the Serial # does not match on mine, but I do have that software version.

btw my Serial number is B006A0003

Any idea what that means?

Last edited by Corran006; 09-08-2010 at 03:13 AM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #48
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
First 10 digits of serial #: B008A0A003
Software version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094)
I think we are all on that serial and version

I contacted Kindle support today and asked for the new software version to be sent to my Kindle, I had three random reboots yesterday, and in two of those my book page was lost, I was reset back to page 1. I am going away at the end of next week so don't want my kindle crashing while I am away.

They said I should have it within 24 hours, the only thing is the kindle needs to stay plugged into the mains, with wifi on, for the 24 hours
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:15 AM   #49
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Do you think, or do they say at Amazons that the trouble is only with the WIFI-Kindle?
I have the 3G-version serialnumber B00AA0AA0034412CF. Version Kindle 3.0 (515460094).
It spontaneously rebooted once, but otherwise it is good.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:19 AM   #50
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

mines wifi, and most of the issues happen while using the browser, or when wifi is on.

I have the same serial and software version as Corran066

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-08-2010 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #51
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
Question, the Serial # does not match on mine, but I do have that software version.

btw my Serial number is B006A0003

Any idea what that means?
Everybody has that version if you've got a Kindle 3. The only people that don't are the ones that are testing version 3.0.1 of the firmware which you only get from Amazon CS if you've got a problem.

The serial number prefix tells you what type of Kindle it is.

B006 = Kindle 3G+WiFi
B008 = Kindle WiFi
B00A = Kindle 3G+WiFi from UK store
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #52
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
My Kindle crashed three times and after the last crash web browser stopped working. Every time I try to run it Kindle freeze for a couple of minutes and respond only to "Home" button.

Kindle Wi-Fi International edition.
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #53
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LevAizik View Post
My Kindle crashed three times and after the last crash web browser stopped working. Every time I try to run it Kindle freeze for a couple of minutes and respond only to "Home" button.
Reset it by sliding and holding the power button for 20 seconds.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #54
LevAizik
LevAizik is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Thank you! Problem solved.
LevAizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #55
thus
thus has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
Here's a link to the firmware update on Amazon, complete with instructions on how to install it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

If already posted, I apologise.
thus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #56
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thus View Post
Here's a link to the firmware update on Amazon, complete with instructions on how to install it:

Don't think it has been posted. Thanks!

Interesting that it has two different files for the two different Kindle 3G+WiFis. B006 being US store (AT&T) and B00A being UK store (Voda)

Just a warning though. I don't think they've done it for 3.0.1 but it is possible that Amazon will close the debug exec hole in a future update so if it is important for you then don't update until somebody can confirm.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #57
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thus View Post

I just went to that Amazon link and downloaded the file. I'm charging my replacement Kindle WiFi LG 3 now for 4 hours. Look at your serial number to be sure you get the correct version.

Thanks again. As soon as my charging is over I'll install the new firmware. Instructions at the site are very clear.

When my replacement came, I was able to download all my Collection names, all my books, and all highlights, bookmarks and notes to the replacement.

I then deregistered the old unit and mailed it back to Amazon with a label I printed from their link in the email they sent me. It was entirely bar codes and the Post Office accepted it. They knew how to handle it.

For what its worth the first 13 digits of the serial number of the old and new units were exactly the same: B008A0A003444. The last 3 digits were alphanumeric and different.

Both units had the same firmware version: Kindle 3.0 (515460094).

I had been shutting down WiFi every night to save battery juice on the old unit. On the new one I won't shut down WiFi directly. I'll just go to Sleep Mode in the day when I'm using it. I'll go to Shut Down Mode at night and when I'm not using it. I don't know if that matters but I'm doing it anyway.

With the new unit and new firmware I'll run the real test this Sunday. I'll take it to Church and PRAY. The first unit was discombobulated in Church last week and went into spontaneous resets every time I started it there.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:41 PM   #58
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the update, I'll do mine tomorrow if it doesn't get pushed down to me by KS
Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #59
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon
We are working on a new software update for our latest generation Kindle 6" device and want to get your feedback. For a limited time, we are releasing an early preview of the next software update. Customers who want to try this early release of the software and provide feedback can download the update below.

This software update adds the ability to create a new Amazon.com account directly from your Kindle, as well as additional performance improvements.
As noted by Amazon, this is an "early preview" of the update so it may still change or be buggy.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:46 PM   #60
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
to those trying out the new firmware version, please let us know if it's better!
thanks a lot!

edit: @Tiersten-have yours crashed?

Last edited by TenaciousBadger; 09-08-2010 at 03:48 PM.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote