Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2020, 05:32 PM   #391
bansheeat
bansheeat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD Mark 4
@NiLuJe But I touch the Display to turn the Pages of my Book - and the Clock does not change. Clock only changes when I bring up the Menu

In the cfg File is something about a "Whitelist of accepted Events" with Touchscreen Coordinates. I flip the Pages of my book by touching the Screen in the down right corner, about 2 cm from the Bottom and 2 cm from the right side.

Last edited by bansheeat; 05-23-2020 at 05:39 PM.
bansheeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #392
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@bansheeat: No the whitelist has nothing to do with that .

Hmm, the Aura has a weird viewport where a few rows of pixels at the bottom are hidden behind the bezel (like the H2O, except they're at the top there).

I'm using an educated guess of 10 rows based on previous user reports in KOReader (and, to a certain extent, Kobo's own marketing, which correctly mentioned the cropped resolution in the specs), but it may not be exact, as I don't have the device, and that may cause an issue with how I tweaked MiniClock to detect page changes...

(I'd need someone with shell access and/or KFMon/NickelMenu and a few custom scripts to get me an uncropped framebuffer dump to confirm the exact values. Fearless Aura users, feel free to PM me if that's you, and I'll give you some more detailed directions!).

(Let's not forget that I may also quite simply have gotten the maths wrong ^^).

I did fix a more generic issue about the same piece of code some time ago, so, on the off-chance that's it, which version of MiniClock are you running?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-23-2020 at 06:37 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:05 PM   #393
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
@NiLuJe
I installed the version you mentioned, but it makes no difference. I made to photos, but there it isn't as clear to see as in real condition, so I hope you can get what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before_fading.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	179448   Click image for larger version

Name:	After_fading.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	937.3 KB
ID:	179449  
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #394
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@MeiGuddet: AFAICT, that's just the good old Aura being terrible at dealing with eInk ghosting .

I mean, I *could* add an option to make the MiniClock display flash, but that's not going to be pretty, and you're probably better off asking *Nickel* to flash instead (i.e., set full refresh to every page).
Old 05-23-2020, 06:38 PM   #395
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bansheeat: Could I bother you to enable debug for a while (it's near the top of the config file), then reboot the device, use it for a while, then send me the .addons/miniclock/debuglog.txt file?

It should contain everything I need to pinpoint what exactly might be going awry (because a quick glance at the viewport thing makes me think it's actually sound) .
Old 05-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #396
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, StoryHD, PW4
@bansheeat: what does it look like when you set a larger font size for the clock? I rarely use kepub but iirc it didn't do full screen updates on pageflips.

@MeiGuddet: that (fonts getting ever so slightly fainter after fbink updates part of screen) also happens on my H2O but only very rarely and it's back to normal next page for me.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:58 AM   #397
bansheeat

@NiLuJe I will post a debug log later today. Thank you for your work

@Frostschutz To what size should I change the IBM Font ? I do not have any other Fonts .ttf in the MiniClock Directory.

Last edited by bansheeat; 05-24-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 04:47 AM   #398
MeiGuddet
MeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheeseMeiGuddet can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Aura (Mark 5)
Hurray!

@NiLuJe: I didn't install the version from #311 correctly (copied the .zip instead of the .tgz, forget it ) and now the fading is gone!

@Frostschutz: The fading was not rare, but happened on every new page, and sometimes more than on the page before. A lot of stress for the eyes, it was no longer a pleasure to read.

Now I'm happy with using MiniClock

Last edited by MeiGuddet; 05-24-2020 at 04:59 AM.
MeiGuddet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 05:53 AM   #399
bansheeat

[QUOTE=NiLuJe;3991830] Do you actually see it popping it off and on when you turn pages?

I forgot to answer that, the Time is not popping off and on, it just stays like frozen in the upper left corner when I turn pages.

Here is the debug log.

@frostschutz I put the AndinkaInk Regular.ttf Font in the Miniclock Directory, increased the _px Size to 56 but Time still does not change. I also removed the Date.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200524_120100.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	571.6 KB
ID:	179460  
Attached Files
File Type: txt debuglog.txt (53.0 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by bansheeat; 05-24-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #400
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@MeiGuddet: Cool :}. FWIW, my best guess is that the original approach of "let's stagger three identical redraws" was somewhat confusing to the crappy Aura screen. The version from #311 takes a different approach to avoid having to do that.

@bansheeat: A couple of quick questions before I delves into the logs further, because this may actually already have been fixed:

* Which FW version are you running?
* Which version of MiniClock are you running (I know you mentioned the one from #311, but that's not enough, I'd ideally want to know the date of the zip you used).

Alternatively, update to the latest version from #311 and see if it helps .
Old 05-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #401
bansheeat

My Kobo Aura HD is on FW 3.19.5761.
I will try the new version from Post No. 311 tomorrow and post here the outcome
Old 05-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #402
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bansheeat: Ah. I'll gladly look at newer logs tomorrow, but there's a chance it's probably a bad interaction with older FW versions...
Old 05-25-2020, 04:44 AM   #403
bansheeat

I just checked I installed your MiniClock Version from 20200501.

When I install the new MiniClock, do I have to uninstall the other Version first ?

About old Firmware on my Kobo Aura HD : I tried newer Firmware but my Kobo is quite slow and unresponsive with that.
The old Firmware I am using also provides the possibility to dismiss Tiles from the Homescreen just by tapping them long enough.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #404
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@bansheeat: Nope, no need to uninstall first .

I won't bother telling you what you should do with your device, because it's your device , but my experience has been that performance has drastically improved in current firmwares.
No more tile layout, though .

EDIT: Huh. Somehow managed to gloss over the version you specified. That one already included the fix I was thinking of ^^.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-25-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #405
koboy
Guru
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeat View Post
I just checked I installed your MiniClock Version from 20200501.

When I install the new MiniClock, do I have to uninstall the other Version first ?

About old Firmware on my Kobo Aura HD : I tried newer Firmware but my Kobo is quite slow and unresponsive with that.
The old Firmware I am using also provides the possibility to dismiss Tiles from the Homescreen just by tapping them long enough.
good times.

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote