Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Colaveare
Colaveare began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
<pre> tag issue while converting to epub

Greetings,

I was just wondering if there was a way to strip all <pre> tags when converting from .lit to .epub with calibre

The reason why is that I use calibre as a server to have my ebooks anywhere on my iphone.
But some of the lit files that I have that contain <pre> tags completely play havoc with my iphone text layout.

I have managed to find the following CSS to enter while doing a conversion to at least add line wrap functionality (also adds line wrap to the default epub reader of calibre)

pre {
white-space: pre-wrap;
}

The problem is that all the other layout function that my iphone usually handles do not seem to work (like paragraph indent, line spacing, font type, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Colaveare; 05-09-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Colaveare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
just add

pre {display: none }

to override css
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
Colaveare

Yeah the problem is that by adding

Quote:
pre {display: none }
to overide the CSS it converts it into a blank epub file (literally removed all text that was targeted by the <pre> tag)

Instead I've been using this little workaround for now.
It seems to be working but sadly it stops me from having layouts that can auto-configure paragraph indent, line spacing between paragraphs and other things like default ereader browser fonts and so forth...

Quote:
pre {
white-space: pre-line;
font-family: Georgia;
}
At least this seems to be doing a line wrap and line justification for both the iphone and the calibre reader.

Last edited by Colaveare; 05-09-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaveare View Post
Yeah the problem is that by adding

to overide the CSS it converts it into a blank epub file (literally removed all text that was targeted by the <pre> tag)

Instead I've been using this little workaround for now.
It seems to be working but sadly it stops me from having layouts that can auto-configure paragraph indent, line spacing between paragraphs and other things like default ereader browser fonts and so forth...

At least this seems to be doing a line wrap and line justification for both the iphone and the calibre reader.
Good tip, thanks

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Opena ticket to request a feature to "reflow" <pre> tags
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2009, 06:40 AM   #6
Colaveare

Ticket 2446 openned.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #7
sergio blum
sergio blum began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Opena ticket to request a feature to "reflow" <pre> tags
I'm not familiar with this XTML/CSS stuff, but have learnt some in the last 30 hours or so of trial and horrors.

Could a kind soul pleeease (please) explain step by step how to manually remove pre tags

I'd rather have my code reflow like body text -- courier or no courier

Have Sony Reader PRS-700. Been using Calibreand Sigil

Thanks in advance

Found what I think may be a bug:
In Sigil, text stops reflowing (when you narrow/enlarge the width of the bookm viewer window) after ANY edit in the CSS.

Sigil will be back to normal, though, after save - close - and reopen file.
sergio blum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Update: I was once again suckered into responding to an old thread. I guess the Old Thread Warning wasn't enough. I have now modified this post to make it seem as though I was responding to the recent poster (instead of the original poster).

Old Thread Warning
Quote:
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.
@sergio blum please start a new thread in the future (See attached).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio blum View Post
Could a kind soul pleeease (please) explain step by step how to manually remove pre tags
Did you try selecting preprocess input file during conversion (see attached)? In this thread, ldolse stated the following about preprocess and lit files in reference to a lit to epub conversion utilizing preprocessing that worked out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Some lit files are more or less text files wrapped in html with <pre> tags - sounds like this may be one of those. These come out exaclty as you describe with Calibre's default lit conversion pipeline. Preprocessing looks for those as a special case and runs them through the text input process before applying normal preprocessing.
Give it a try, let us know if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	preprocess.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	59589   Click image for larger version

Name:	newthread.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	59590  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-08-2010 at 11:53 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #9
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
By the way, if someone has a file with multiple <pre> tags, please attach it to the linked bug. All the examples I found just had a single set of <pre> tags wrapping the entire document, so that's the only case I accounted for. I wasn't sure if multiple sets was a common real-life occurrence to worry about.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote