Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #16
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Keep trying - do it faster... and the reflasher reports success.. you can disconnect now.

disconnect and twang the power-switch

the software fires up HOORAY!

but then immediately dies as there is zero power on the powermeter....this is despite charging it for a whole day, and plugging it into USB for a whole day a few days ago.. maybe this rebooting stuff drains the battery

Perhaps this whole episode is battery-determined?

Whooooa .. after another reboot it is now showing full battery (whilst connected to the charger)... and all my books are still there ! ??? although its lost what I was reading when it first croaked...

persistence pays off

:-)
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
dave45
dave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enoughdave45 will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
And it is now fully-working again.... thanks guys for your help and encouragement.

(still fancy a T2 though!)
dave45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Good to hear that it all worked out. I bought a T1 last year, and pretty much just use the 505 when I'm riding the bus. The 505 is built like a tank, and being so old, I'm less worried about it getting broken in transit.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
My first thought when I began reading this thread was: it's the battery! I would suggest that you charge the battery from the MAINS not the usb, using Sony's own charger or a PSP charger (the type with a round barrel). Leave it charging for about 12 hours.

However, if, after doing this, you find that the battery runs down quickly, seriously consider replacing the battery. This is what I had to do with my 505 - or at least a techie friend did this for me. There's lots of info about how to do this dotted around MR, and a good vid on youtube, made by the people who sell the batteries and tools (though I bought mine from Amazon).

Here's the url for the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLHgLz9LYMA
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
My first thought when I began reading this thread was: it's the battery! I would suggest that you charge the battery from the MAINS not the usb, using Sony's own charger or a PSP charger (the type with a round barrel). Leave it charging for about 12 hours.

However, if, after doing this, you find that the battery runs down quickly, seriously consider replacing the battery. This is what I had to do with my 505 - or at least a techie friend did this for me. There's lots of info about how to do this dotted around MR, and a good vid on youtube, made by the people who sell the batteries and tools (though I bought mine from Amazon).

Here's the url for the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLHgLz9LYMA
congratZ guys great community
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
HLing
HLing began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge almost; something with E-ink
PRS 505 - volume button shuts down the device

(sorry, i couldn't find a way to pose a new thread) Hi! i realize i'm late to the game. reallly late. but, I got a PRS 505 recently that seem to work fine..until I tried to test out the audio portion. It turns out that it didn't matter whether i play any audio or not (when i did there was no sound, but it does go through the motion), but as soon as I press the volume button the device gives an exclamation mark, and it shuts down.
Upon some research I find out that to do a Hard Reset one has to press the Mark and the Volume+ button. So, I was wondering if this was a unit that didn't get through a hard reset cycle? So then I tried to do a hard reset, and it went through the motion, but after press the 5 button it didn't seem to erase anything. I see that I can get new batteries and change it to do more test, but wondered if i shouldn't ask the experts first! Thank you in advance for any input you may have!
HLing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 02:34 PM   #22
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLing View Post
(sorry, i couldn't find a way to pose a new thread) Hi! i realize i'm late to the game. reallly late. but, I got a PRS 505 recently that seem to work fine..until I tried to test out the audio portion. It turns out that it didn't matter whether i play any audio or not (when i did there was no sound, but it does go through the motion), but as soon as I press the volume button the device gives an exclamation mark, and it shuts down.
Upon some research I find out that to do a Hard Reset one has to press the Mark and the Volume+ button. So, I was wondering if this was a unit that didn't get through a hard reset cycle? So then I tried to do a hard reset, and it went through the motion, but after press the 5 button it didn't seem to erase anything. I see that I can get new batteries and change it to do more test, but wondered if i shouldn't ask the experts first! Thank you in advance for any input you may have!
If you like older Sony E Readers shopgoodwill currently has two non working Sony PRS-900 ereaders for auction ending on 3/21/2019. The seller notes it is not charging but apparently this model has a battery that is easily replaceable. I've already bought so many eraders from there (well about five) that I am resisting the urge to buy another one. If you decide to get it this model it apparently has a headphone jack/audio support and again it is listed as sold as is/non working.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/65003069
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
If you like older Sony E Readers shopgoodwill currently has two non working Sony PRS-900 ereaders for auction ending on 3/21/2019. The seller notes it is not charging but apparently this model has a battery that is easily replaceable. I've already bought so many eraders from there (well about five) that I am resisting the urge to buy another one. If you decide to get it this model it apparently has a headphone jack/audio support and again it is listed as sold as is/non working.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/65003069
Do not get a PRS-900, PRS-700, & PRS-600. They are horrible awful Readers. They have very poor screens because of the touch layer and the 700 has the worst front light ever. Stay away from these three Sony Readers.

Now as to the 505, It's time to give that up. It doesn't work well with a lot of new ePub. The 505 is old, slow, and doesn't have enough memory. It can freeze, reboot, or be very slow because of the high resolution graphics including the cover. I had a 505, so what I am saying is from experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #24
HLing

Thank you, Ricky and JSWolf for your replies! I agree GoodWill Shopping is extremely addictive. The PRS 505 is much more restful on the eyes. It works fine for me for reading Chinese novels in PDF. If I'm able to find something that is all E-Ink, whether it be cell phone, laptop or note taker, I would jump on it. It just seem that these days it's not feasible to find something like that that is affordable.
Thank you for your input though. I feel like I'm biding my time until the ideal device appears.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #25
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You might like the new kindle paperwhite. If you don't like lit screens, you can turn the light all the way down, though I'm not certain if you can turn it completely off. Ask in the kindle part of the forum whether it can do Chinese characters.

No affordable eink reader can comfortably read PDF's, only the larger, very expensive ones. If the PDF's are purely text, not dependent on formatting, you might be able to convert them using Calibre.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:50 AM   #26
HLing

Thank you BookCat for your input. I am staying away from Kindles for Amazon reasons . Since the time I posted my query I have acquired more Sony readers thinking that i'd get overbid on at least some cases, but no, I won them all. chargers, cases and all.

I feel like someone who have taken in strays, and will continue to get them up and running. The 900s (daily editions, too), 600, and PRS-T1s all have hand writing apps which i love. I've gotten the T1 to read chinese thanks to info from the forum. My next project is to undo the corrupting of files I did to the 600 without losing the nice collections that came with the unit!!