Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 01:21 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
For me, IR touch is very much a con. I much prefer capacitive. So please...stop making statements of opinion and representing them as facts.

Shari
Just because you prefer capacitive touch over IR touch does not mean that IR touch does not work well. I've used a number of Readers with IR and the IR touch works well on ALL of them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:11 AM   #62
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It also doesn't blur and darken the screen like the capacitive touch layer does.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 04:17 AM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
It also doesn't blur and darken the screen like the capacitive touch layer does.
Although a capacitive touch screen does indeed have an additional "layer" on the screen, that layer is nothing more than a completely transparent chemical coating applied to the screen. It does not "blur and darken" the screen. Perhaps you're thinking of the old "resistive" touch screens? They certainly did do that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #64
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4nder View Post
I have both the 6inch Kobo Aura and the PW2, both use Capacitive screens, while the PW2 is a much better screen neither of them are blured or darkened.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #65
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It's relative. Text on the Paperwhite is much blurrier than even K4B due to all the additional layers.

[Image violates posting guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

This is a zoomed in picture of PW. It may not look blurry to you but it sure does to me. Whether it's the light layer or capacitive touch that's causing it, I don't know. All I know is, Aura HD looked perfectly crisp and clear in comparison and it only has a light layer.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-09-2014 at 08:41 AM.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #66
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd expect a PW to be a little blurrier than a K4B, because the PW has a light diffuser, but the K4B doesn't. I think, though, that the photograph above is simply an example of poor photography. The camera has focussed on the outer plastic screen (there's an in-focus white dot on the image, which is a grain of dust on the outside of the screen), and the eInk layer is consequently slightly out of focus. Macro photographs have a very narrow depth of field.

It you want to compare the PW and the Aura HD, we need to see a side-by-side comparison of those two devices.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-09-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:29 PM   #67
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because you prefer capacitive touch over IR touch does not mean that IR touch does not work well. I've used a number of Readers with IR and the IR touch works well on ALL of them.
I've had the Sony PRS-350, Nook Simple Touch, and latest Nook GlowLight, all of them IR touch screens, all of them have worked fantastically!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I've had the Sony PRS-350, Nook Simple Touch, and latest Nook GlowLight, all of them IR touch screens, all of them have worked fantastically!
That's exactly my point.

The thing I would like to see is a comparison of the Voyage screen to the H2O screen when the lights are off (H2O) and at the lowest level (Voyage) and see how they compare. One reason I think Amazon is not turning off the light is because it would not look as good because of the capacitance touch layer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
That's exactly my point.

The thing I would like to see is a comparison of the Voyage screen to the H2O screen when the lights are off (H2O) and at the lowest level (Voyage) and see how they compare. One reason I think Amazon is not turning off the light is because it would not look as good because of the capacitance touch layer.
Regardless of the layer I have on my readers, capacitive or IR, I never want to turn the light off. All unlighted ereaders have dark screens (the background) I much prefer the whiteness that comes from the light layer.

It's as true for the KK as it is for my PW2, the only time I'm ever happy with an unlighted screen is in direct bright sunlight, and in the UK we don't get that much, plus when we do I'm hiding inside in the shade.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #70
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Capacitive is nice but overrated. I say that from my own experience using the HD, H2O and PW2. If capacitive is supposed to be clearly better than IR, I just don't see it.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #71
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
That's exactly my point.
I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
If capacitive is supposed to be clearly better than IR, I just don't see it.
I'm not really sure WHAT the advantage of one over the other is. I understand the differences in much of the technology involved... but don't know why you would deploy one over the other.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #72
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I'm not really sure WHAT the advantage of one over the other is. I understand the differences in much of the technology involved... but don't know why you would deploy one over the other.
I prefer IR. You can use an object to tap/swipe, not only a special stylus. You can wear gloves. And I have seen some people mention here on MR that capacitive screens don't work well with their skin.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #73
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
whats with the pumpkin head avatars? halloween is for one day at the end of the month.

Id like a h20 but for me the main feature of the device is useless. I dont read in the bath and i havent been on holiday since 2006.

Still i'd take it over an amazon billboard any day of the week.
peterwardgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:42 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
Id like a h20 but for me the main feature of the device is useless. I dont read in the bath and i havent been on holiday since 2006.
The "main feature" of the device is the excellent 6.8" HD Carta screen.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #75
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "main feature" of the device is the excellent 6.8" HD Carta screen.
And it's almost certainly the best screen on the market at the moment. Voyage is coming, but even that is no absolute guarantee.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote