Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Start location

As I understand it, one uses the "text" semantic to identify the start location in Sigil. This no longer seems to work when the epub is converted to a mobi file for sale on Amazon.

Personally, I would like my books to open at the cover, but if there is an included cover in the epub, then I assume it should be labeled "cover". Second choice would be the title page. I have tried that, and I have also tried inserting a page of reader/reviewer praise and labeling that "text", with no luck. The books now seem to open almost as random--at the cover, at the TOC, at chapter one, or often enough in the middle of a page.

The old id="start" seems to have stopped working some time ago.

Should I be working in the manifest rather than with the semantics tool?

I am most concerned with the book's appearance on the Kindle platform, because that's where three-quarters of my sales are.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I also prefer the reader to open at the cover...that IS the beginning of the book. If the human doing the reading wants to jump somewhere else they can use the TOC.

But, you may get better answers on why mobi isn't working if you post in the mobi forum. They could probably explain what needs to be set semantics-wise (in any program) to get it to work properly.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
As I understand it, one uses the "text" semantic to identify the start location in Sigil. This no longer seems to work when the epub is converted to a mobi file for sale on Amazon.

Personally, I would like my books to open at the cover, but if there is an included cover in the epub, then I assume it should be labeled "cover". Second choice would be the title page. I have tried that, and I have also tried inserting a page of reader/reviewer praise and labeling that "text", with no luck. The books now seem to open almost as random--at the cover, at the TOC, at chapter one, or often enough in the middle of a page.

The old id="start" seems to have stopped working some time ago.

Should I be working in the manifest rather than with the semantics tool?

I am most concerned with the book's appearance on the Kindle platform, because that's where three-quarters of my sales are.
Please, read these threads:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=191387

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212660
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the pointers! I will put on my thinking cap and sit down with them.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Mark the desired stating point as "Text" with semantics. It will show as the following in the OPF guide:

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0001.htm" title="Title Page" type="title-page" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0002.htm" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0003.htm" title="List Of Illustrations" type="loi" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0004.htm" title="Text" type="text" />
  </guide>
Edit the OPF to change the Text to Start Reading or whatever you wish as shown in the following.The Type must be start.

Code:
  <guide>
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0001.htm" title="Title Page" type="title-page" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0002.htm" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0003.htm" title="List Of Illustrations" type="loi" />
    <reference href="Text/An%20Amateur%20Fireman_0004.htm" title="Start Reading" type="start" />
  </guide>
It will appear as an "Other" type error in the validator but works fine.

Last edited by crutledge; 06-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Edit the OPF to change the Text to Start Reading or whatever you wish as shown in the following.The Type must be start.
It will appear as an "Other" type error in the validator but works fine.
Interesting! Will this work as an epub uploaded to B&N, Apple, and the like?

Does the error appear only in Flight Crew, or also in epubcheck (which would rule out Apple, I believe)?

Thanks - NJ
Old 06-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #7
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Interesting! Will this work as an epub uploaded to B&N, Apple, and the like?

Does the error appear only in Flight Crew, or also in epubcheck (which would rule out Apple, I believe)?

Thanks - NJ
I really don't know. I have never used epubcheck. However, it would be simple to have two versions of the epub.

NOTE: It passes Kindlepreviewer with no errors.

Last edited by crutledge; 06-18-2013 at 07:10 PM.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Thanks - NJ