Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #391
anchung.chen
anchung.chen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Code:
page   num  type   width height color comp bpc  enc interp  object ID x-ppi y-ppi size ratio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1     0 image    1655  2207  gray    1   4  image  no         6  0   345   345  334K  19%
   2     1 image   17408 23211  gray    1   4  image  no         8  0  3626  3626  431K 0.2%
mupdf probably tries to allocate some memory for the image in its native resolution…
The file is generated by k2pdfopt, so it may have this kind of bug. Thanks.
anchung.chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:45 PM   #392
anchung.chen

Two little questions about Plato:

1) I use Kfmon to launch Plato, Is there a way to make Plato the default App to run in stead of Nickel? I use SSH to connect to Kobo, so command line instruction is OK for me.

2) I like the scrolling method in Fit-Width Zoom Mode for viewing the scanned PDF book. But sometimes, the text lines at the top or bottom of the screen are split horizontally, making it difficult to read. Is there a solution ?

Thank You!
Old 03-06-2019, 03:08 PM   #393
Alan_S
Addict
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchung.chen View Post
1) I use Kfmon to launch Plato, Is there a way to make Plato the default App to run in stead of Nickel?
In KSM you can choose default option (here it would be Plato) and remove waiting time, i.e. setting it to zero. It would look like you boot directly to Plato, although you actually first run KSM, then KSM without wait runs Plato.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #394
baskerville
Groupie
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
1) I use Kfmon to launch Plato, Is there a way to make Plato the default App to run instead of Nickel? I use SSH to connect to Kobo, so command line instruction is OK for me.
I'm going to give you the instructions, but keep in mind that you need to proceed carefully and only if you know what you're doing.
  • When you start typing the commands below you should be in launchers/standalone within Plato's repository.
  • Copy kobo-update-4.12.12111.zip and plato-0.6.5.zip in the current directory.

Code:
unzip kobo-update-4.12.12111.zip KoboRoot.tgz
tar -xzvf KoboRoot.tgz etc/init.d/rcS && rm KoboRoot.tgz
patch -p 1 < firmware.patch
mkdir -p usr/local/Plato
cp plato.sh usr/local/Plato
unzip -d usr/local/Plato plato-0.6.5.zip
touch usr/local/Plato/bootlock
tar -czvf KoboRoot.tgz etc usr
(Copy the generated KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo directory of your device.)

Quote:
2) I like the scrolling method in Fit-Width Zoom Mode for viewing the scanned PDF book. But sometimes, the text lines at the top or bottom of the screen are split horizontally, making it difficult to read. Is there a solution?
You need to add a text layer to your PDF.
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:43 PM   #395
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@baskerville also offers a standalone boot option, if you're launcher-less .

EDIT: Too slow!

EDIT²: @baskerville, I'm seeing a couple more things in your post than in the README in the repo, might be helpful to make it complete (unless you want to somewhat discourage random people from trying that, which I'd perfectly understand ).
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:41 AM   #396
anchung.chen

Quote:
I'm going to give you the instructions, but keep in mind that you need to proceed carefully and only if you know what you're doing.
Thank you for such detailed instruction, I will take time to try.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:00 AM   #397
baskerville
Groupie
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnh View Post
1. I tend to read one book until it is done, so I rarely go back to the menu. However it seems like the only time it saves the location back to the db is when you go there. So if it crashes or loses power it will not go back to where I left off.
I guess I could add a setting to save the metadata every X seconds.

Quote:
2. Could there be a setting to allow it to automatically sleep after a timeout?
Yes I might add that.

Quote:
3. This one is more difficult, but is it possible to have a counter to see roughly how many pages are left at the current page setting? This is the one real feature that I am missing from Koreader. It wasn't always correct, but it was nice to have an idea of how many more pages are left.
I'm assuming that you're talking about the number of remaining page turns. I can produce such an estimate. Would you prefer seeing this instead of the Page X of Y indicator?
Old 03-09-2019, 03:27 AM   #398
baskerville
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
I find the folder navigation bar a bit confusing. When I'm at top level, it seems to show all the folders now, sorted by name. I can't really navigate trough my collection this way, it gives no hint of the actual folder structure.
Please have a look at the screenshot - "Book" is actually the root folder, that is currently selected.
What the summary bar shows are the categories. And no, as mentioned before, the hierarchy isn't flattened: you're getting confused by the dc:subject tags.

One thing you might want to do is to increase the default height of the summary bar:
Code:
[home]
summary-size = 2
And I should probably add a setting to prevent the dc:subject tags from being imported as categories…
Old 03-09-2019, 12:15 PM   #399
baskerville
Groupie

Plato 0.6.6

I've released 0.6.6

List of changes:
  • Fix a bug that prevented the previous chapter jump from happening in certain cases.
  • Add a workaround for a terrible bug in tesseract. The bug is present in the latest stable release (4.0.0).
Old 03-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #400
dnh
dnh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Quote:
I'm assuming that you're talking about the number of remaining page turns. I can produce such an estimate. Would you prefer seeing this instead of the Page X of Y indicator?
Oh, sorry, I managed to miss a key part of that. What I actually meant was could this be done for the current chapter. The format doesn't really matter.

Last edited by dnh; 03-11-2019 at 01:21 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
dnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 AM   #401
pst
pst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Didn't notice it before.
I had the problem again that the reader was empty after not using it for a week. Sadly enough, the log file seems to be re-created after a cold start from a drained battery; its creation date is of the first boot after charging the reader again and all information that was in it before is gone.
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #402
pst
pst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
What the summary bar shows are the categories. And no, as mentioned before, the hierarchy isn't flattened: you're getting confused by the dc:subject tags.
Definitely. I should have noticed from my own screenshots, "American literature 1900" is not the folder "American literature".

Quote:
One thing you might want to do is to increase the default height of the summary bar:
Code:
[home]
summary-size = 2
Nice, for sure I had to try setting it to 10, which got me a nice overview of all the categories:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-20190319_135034.png
Views:	37
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	170289

Quote:
And I should probably add a setting to prevent the dc:subject tags from being imported as categories…
That would be nice. Thanks for your great work.
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:43 AM   #403
baskerville
Groupie

Plato 0.6.7

I've released 0.6.7.
  • I've added contrast controls for the non-reflowable formats.
  • The initial categories are imported from the document's path by default (as it used to be). The corresponding setting is import.category-providers: the only known values are "path" and "subject". If you maintain a field in calibre that might be interpreted as a list of categories, we could try to come to an agreement regarding the key name.
  • The default summary size is now 2.