Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2019, 02:52 AM   #1
Andy2
Andy2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre not opening at Win 10

Hi
I've got a problem Calibre apps not opening at Win 10. I've installed calibre 64 bit for win 10, installation went ok. But after click calibre not starting. When start win 10 in safe mode calibre open normal. Running command calibre-debug -g at "CMD" it shows:

calibre 3.39.1 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
windows-10-10.0.17134-SPO Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17134')
Python 2.7.15+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17134', 'SPO', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: pl
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling

I am not very familiar with Windows so far I was using Mac , and calibre works perfect on OS.
Any suggestion what shell I do to run calibre on win 10?
I am using HP elitebook x360 1020 G2, system Windows 10 pro
version 18003
kompilation 17134.590

best regards
andy
Andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Looks like a possible security/permissions error. It might have not installed correctly due to an inability to create temporary or other directories due to a lack of security permissions. That has been my recent experience.

The problem you are having is becoming more common on certain Windows 10 Home tablets that are originally Windows 10 Home (never upgraded from 7 or 8.1), and originally installed with a more recent version of Windows 10 Home that has had their boot and other security continually "improved". I have never experienced this problem on any of my desktops. Remember that every Windows PC has a unique software environment. Other people do not have your exact hardware and software configuration and installation history.

I have experienced the identical problem on a 2-in-1 tablet and resolved it by upgrading from Version 1803 to 1809, which often repairs any security/permissions errors since it resets so many things in the upgrade process.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/soft...load/windows10

Regardless of the version, ensure you are an Administrator and not just a simple User.

If you were a simple User, after changing yourself to be an Administrator, reinstall/repair Calibre via its .msi file. It might have not installed correctly due to an inability to create temporary or other directories due to a lack of security permissions.

Run Calibre from a desktop shortcut for which you have changed the shortcut's Properties to always run as an Administrator.

I also found that installing the Calibre .msi by copying its path into a Windows Command Prompt Box with elevated (administrator) privileges works, even if one is already an Administrator. Right-click the Start button to find that option.

Good luck.

DaltonST

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-25-2019 at 04:38 PM. Reason: More info.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:13 PM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Also try disabling any and all Anti-Virus applications and then launching calibre.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #4
Andy2

Thanks for quick reply. I will follow your suggestions and let you know results.

regards
andy
Old 02-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've NEVER ruin calibre as Administrator on Windows 7 or 10 and have zero issues. Yes there is an UAC prompt on installation but nothing at run time
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 04:10 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Andy2 - When a program runs in Safe Mode but not in Normal Mode that often indicates some sort of interference from an external program.

If other suggestions don't fix the problem, try disabling startup programs. You can do that via Task Manager or CCleaner, the latter also allows shell extensions (right click menu items) to be disabled. If calibre runs you'll need to find the culprit by via a process of elimination.

Oh, and close any other desktop tasks you started before you tried calibre - browser, mail client, newsfeed, spreadsheet etc.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-25-2019 at 04:12 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
Andy2

Hi just to update a progress.
I've download win 10 version 1809 and try to update my win 10 v.1803 but after installation my system still shows 1803 instead 1809 , I don't really know what is stopping my system from upgrade. During installation I didn't got any error message.
I've try to run Calibre as administrator , no success.
I've disable all startup apps and restart laptop , run Calibre no success.
I've disable any virus ,and rund Calibre no success.
Interesting point is that I've download and install Kindle apps and it looks like have the same problem like Calibre.
I've also uninstalled and installed back Calibre with fresh msg file , no success.
Maybe the solution is to upgrade win 10 from 1803 to 1809 but how I can force my machine to do it?
I so far simple go to provided path and click upgrade option. But no success.

Any other suggestion?

regards
andy
Old 02-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #8
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just as I thought.

Use the link I gave you then follow the Media Creation Tool route, which is what I originally intended. Run it from a usb that you copy it to rather than your hd. Use the full 1809 .exe download, not the iso file route.

DaltonSTShow Tooltip

Last edited by DaltonST; 02-26-2019 at 02:26 PM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
I have experienced two instances where W10 became a bit damaged and would not install the next big featured update. It was still n a mostly usable state still , but the fix had to be a clean reinstall of latest version from dvd or usb. That is very quick and easy nowadays. 15 minutes only for an install to SSD whereas a big feature update via windows update can run for hours and leave you with windows old folders wasting many GB.
If you plan it. And backup all that you will need. Like app data folders, email folders. It is painless. I use mailbird pro wth multiple email addresses and all I have to do is backup and restore one app data folder to replace a full history and a full set of passwords. Google Chrome is very good at restoring settings if you have signed in and synced to cloud beforehand.

(Mostly usable e.g i got into a situation where netflix would not work in Microsoft edge and hours of tinkering, Googling could not sort it. Then I rashly messed with registry backup restore tools and totally broke it .
Fast clean reinstalls are the way to go, treat yourself to an SSD windows drive at the same time...you will never want to go back to list slow spinning discs once you experience that.

Last edited by stumped; 02-26-2019 at 02:46 PM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Andy2 - given:
  • calibre ran in Safe Mode;
  • calibre did not run in Normal mode even when you disabled all your startup programs etc
  • that you had similar problems with Kindle apps,
  • and the upgrade to 1809 failed
suggests something important in Windows itself is/was the problem

Did you try The System File Checker

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:47 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance you have both a 32 bit and 64 bit version installed, and you're launching the wrong one?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Andy2

Hi All. I would like to thanks you all , DaltonST you are genius...... After following your suggestion with fresh installation of win 10 ver.1809 all is singing and dancing.

Thanks for assistances
Best regards
Andy
Old 02-08-2021, 07:36 AM   #13
mMaxMara
mMaxMara began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy note 10.1 2014edition
Hello
Solution
1.Right click on Icon Calibre
2.Properties
3.Compatibility
4.Check Compatibility mode for "Windows Vista(service pack2)
5.Enjoy
mMaxMara is offline   Reply With Quote