Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-25-2015, 02:53 AM   #1
DirkDirkson
DirkDirkson began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Tips for finding high res book covers

Just upgraded to a 4K monitor last month so I've become a lot more insistent that my ebooks have the highest quality book cover art I can find -- I just happened upon a very awesome source I thought I'd share in case some aren't aware of it. If anyone has any other locations to share, would much appreciate it

http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/
Just search for the book and click "enlarge cover" button -- It will then give you the option to download high-res copy. The size averages 5-20mb each, varous resolution. (The 22mb one I just grabbed was 1621x2442)

I also occasionally hop over to amazon or b&n , find book and click it to give preview, then do a screen cap and quick crop in paint.. Between those 3 and all the sites calibre searches, I'm rarely stuck with a low res cover anymore. Takes a little work but worth it imo, as I love my eye candy

Last edited by DirkDirkson; 05-25-2015 at 03:06 AM.
DirkDirkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I use Google Images to find high resolution covers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2015, 03:43 AM   #3
DirkDirkson

Yeah, I just enabled google images & big book in my calibre search perimeters last week and the results have improved substantially over default. I used to go there manually if calibre didn't find image for me....still a good last resort location.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The Search The Internet PI has a setting (choice) for images
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDirkson View Post
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/
Just search for the book and click "enlarge cover" button -- It will then give you the option to download high-res copy. The size averages 5-20mb each, varous resolution. (The 22mb one I just grabbed was 1621x2442)
Just a heads up - the large JPG file I downloaded from PenguinRandomHouse was actually a TIF file with a JPG file extension. Some programs don't like being fooled like that. When I converted the 31.4MB 1876x2850 file to an actual high quality JPG it was only 400KB 1876x2850. Flipping back and forth between the two on my 1920x1080 monitor I could see no quality difference.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #6
DirkDirkson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenkins View Post
Just a heads up - the large JPG file I downloaded from PenguinRandomHouse was actually a TIF file with a JPG file extension. Some programs don't like being fooled like that. When I converted the 31.4MB 1876x2850 file to an actual high quality JPG it was only 400KB 1876x2850. Flipping back and forth between the two on my 1920x1080 monitor I could see no quality difference.
Wow, no wonder some of those are so huge. I've downloaded covers as large as 55mb on there since my OP. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by DirkDirkson; 05-26-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDirkson View Post
Wow, no wonder some of those are so huge. I've downloaded covers as large as 55mb on there since my OP. Thanks for pointing that out.
TIF is the uncompressed (raw) format all the HiRes designers/editors/artists want to work from. They are huge and should never (normally) be used as a books internal cover/other images.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #8
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Can anyone check Google Play Books for me? It's not available to me, but apparently the also have some high res book covers.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.jackm8 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Played with proxy and checked it myself. And I can confirm that it does work.

It's a bit hacky though. You need to right-click-open-file cover image and then add couple of zeroes in file location to see full sized covers.

For example, you would just need to add two zeroes at the end of this link to get 1400 x 900 cover.
https://books.google.com/books/conte...VH0C?fife=w300

Quite awesome results in certain cases:
Spoiler:

jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackm8 View Post
Can anyone check Google Play Books for me? It's not available to me, but apparently the also have some high res book covers.
Search the Internet Plugin has a 'Get cover from Google" that allows H + W to be set