Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Sideloading Books

Hi,

I am looking at getting a Kobo Aura, but have heard rumors that with a Kobo a different reader is used for Sideloaded Books compared to reading books brought from the Store.

Is this correct and if it is are there any issues compared to using the reader for store books (features missing etc..)?

Thanks,

Gavin,
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes, there are differences between vanilla epubs and the socalled "kepubs" which are Kobo's own format. But if one is so inclined, one can use a plugin for Calibre in order to access most of the kepub-only features with regular epubs, such as the "pages per chapter" pagination and floating footnotes. Previously one could also access reading data (like, time remaining in book/chapter and a bar diagram of the chapter lengths) from within the book, but that has since removed, so now that is only possible with proper kepubs. It is unclear whether that feature will make it back.
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Interesting. As I only sideload epub from other sources (I strictly refuse to buy anything with DRM), I was not even aware of those features.

Can you point me to a link on how to test those features with calibre?
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
I think you just add this plugin
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220565
And convert to kepub.
I was also surprised by the difference between epub downloaded from Kobo and side loaded and kepub of the same book.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Interesting. As I only sideload epub from other sources (I strictly refuse to buy anything with DRM), I was not even aware of those features.

Can you point me to a link on how to test those features with calibre?

You can use the plugin that Lady Stardust mentioned or you can just use the Kobo Touch Extended Driver (works with newer readers since Touch too) and have them converted on the fly as they're sent to the reader.

Also, just so you know. While books from big publishers mostly have DRM (due to the publisher) a lot of books at Kobo don't use any DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
gavinjb
Connoisseur
gavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of lightgavinjb is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the info, good to know I can get most of the functionality of a book purchased from Kobo
gavinjb is offline   Reply With Quote