Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM   #61
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
His Sandman is the immortal King of Dreams (and stories). His 6 brothers and sisters are the immortal representations of Death, Desire, Destruction, Destiny, Despair and Delirium. The comic follows a decade or so of their existence. That's all I can say without giving too much of the plot away, in case you decide to read the graphic novels.
Thanks. Sounds interesting.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #62
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
Shadow said yes to everything.
But who is Shadow?
He remains. Unchanged. Still a shadow.
There's this interesting quote from the book, by Laura:

' "I love you," she said, dispassionately. "You're my puppy. But when you're really dead you get to see things clearer. It's like there isn't anyone there. You know? You're like this big, solid, man-shaped hole in the world." She frowned. "Even when we were together. I loved being with you. You adored me, and you would do anything for me. But sometimes I'd go into a room and I wouldn't think there was anybody in there. And I'd turn the light on, or I'd turn the light off, and I'd realize that you were in there, sitting on your own, not reading, not watching TV, not doing anything." '
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #63
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
His Sandman is the immortal King of Dreams (and stories).
Picked up the first three volumes of "Sandman" yesterday. It's been a *long time* since I've read comics.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #64
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Picked up the first three volumes of "Sandman" yesterday. It's been a *long time* since I've read comics.
I hope you enjoy the comics, I really enjoyed them and I have re-read them several times. I really believe that reading the comics adds an extra depth to American Gods.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #65
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll try to answer myself. It sounds rather like Shadow is 'placeholder'. A cut-out to fill with whatever one feels most fitting.

Do you think we - each reader here - filled out the Shadow-sized hole with our own expectations? And what expectations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
There's this interesting quote from the book, by Laura:

' "I love you," she said, dispassionately. "You're my puppy. But when you're really dead you get to see things clearer. It's like there isn't anyone there. You know? You're like this big, solid, man-shaped hole in the world." She frowned. "Even when we were together. I loved being with you. You adored me, and you would do anything for me. But sometimes I'd go into a room and I wouldn't think there was anybody in there. And I'd turn the light on, or I'd turn the light off, and I'd realize that you were in there, sitting on your own, not reading, not watching TV, not doing anything." '
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #66
recluse
Banned
recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.recluse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I like that answer very much.
If I may add this additional thought:

The reader fills in their own expectations of Shadow, walk in Shadow's footsteps through the story, to better experience what it means to be a pawn of the gods. Chosen by forces beyond his comprehension to carry out their will.
The quote you chose illustrates this perfectly.
Shadow simply exists, waiting though unaware that he waits, for the hand of a god to set him in motion.
recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #67
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Just ran across another forum discussing "American Gods" wth many of the same questions we've been going through.

Of course the first thread I check out was a Shadow/Balder discussion, with a couple interesting quotes we missed.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:08 AM   #68
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Just ran across another forum discussing "American Gods" wth many of the same questions we've been going through.

Of course the first thread I check out was a Shadow/Balder discussion, with a couple interesting quotes we missed.
I don't think there was any indication in the novel that Shadow's mother was anything but human, and I don't find the arguments for her being Frigg (or even Freja) very good. I think it's a stretch (over-stretched ).
What do you think yourself?
Old 07-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #69
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:

Thanks for the link. At first glance it looks like an interesting site, I'll have a more in-depth look later.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #70
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by recluse View Post
And I liked Gaiman's "Neverwhere" very much.
Neverwhere and Stardust are both excellent books. They use some similar themes (including a protagonist who doesn't understand what's going on around him for most of the book) as in American Gods, and have quite a few adult themes as well.

What they don't have, and I think it's for the better, is the frequent crude references. Those drove me crazy in American Gods.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #71
Trebro
Connoisseur
Trebro began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Ok, jumping in here (a bit late, I know).

First, I'm glad I finished this time, but man, this book has a rough start. I think it's best suited to those who have a deep love of mythology of all kinds. I also think that, for better or worse, Gaiman tends to write similar themes into his books, and having read all of Sandman, Neverwhere, Stardust, and now American Gods, I'm not sure I need to read more. I kinda feel like I've had my fill of reading about how myth and fantasy blend into real life, if only we know how to look for it.

In terms of Shadow, for me he's the personification of American doubt in the idea of *any* belief. He has no strong feelings for anything, whether it's Native American, Norse, or Modern gods. He'll go through the motions of worship, but for him, he'll never more than shadow the beliefs that others have had before him. So I don't think he's Balder or Thor (my initial guess, for what it's worth) or anyone so much as he's a part of all the gods, and never ever to be one incarnation of anything.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #72
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
Ok, jumping in here (a bit late, I know).

First, I'm glad I finished this time, but man, this book has a rough start. I think it's best suited to those who have a deep love of mythology of all kinds. I also think that, for better or worse, Gaiman tends to write similar themes into his books, and having read all of Sandman, Neverwhere, Stardust, and now American Gods, I'm not sure I need to read more. I kinda feel like I've had my fill of reading about how myth and fantasy blend into real life, if only we know how to look for it.
Ii think you're absolutely right that an interest in mythology is necessary. That was what brought me to read the book in the first place, and it created a deeper interest in the book the second time I read it.

I think I simply like the theme of myth blending with reality and would easily read more of Gaiman - though most of his books seemed aimed at a YA audience primarily. What I liked about American Gods is the grown-up adult tone of it. It felt darker and more serious, where both Neverwhere and Stardust was a tad too "light" for my taste.
Quote:
In terms of Shadow, for me he's the personification of American doubt in the idea of *any* belief. He has no strong feelings for anything, whether it's Native American, Norse, or Modern gods. He'll go through the motions of worship, but for him, he'll never more than shadow the beliefs that others have had before him. So I don't think he's Balder or Thor (my initial guess, for what it's worth) or anyone so much as he's a part of all the gods, and never ever to be one incarnation of anything.
This is without question a most interesting interpretation of Shadow. As you put it, he is a shadow - hence his name. I don't think we really took that into consideration.
So now I wonder what could be gotten out of contemplating the name of "Shadow"...
Quote:

What they don't have, and I think it's for the better, is the frequent crude references. Those drove me crazy in American Gods.
I must admit it was not something I noticed. I am actually a little bewildered about whatever you could perceive as crude references. As far as I remember it all felt in character and pretty usual
Old 07-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #73
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
But he has such a strong personal ethic (e.g. going back to submit to the hammer blow, often fatal even from an ordinary man). Seems like that ethic had to germinate from some belief.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #74
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
But he has such a strong personal ethic (e.g. going back to submit to the hammer blow, often fatal even from an ordinary man). Seems like that ethic had to germinate from some belief.
I would say he accepts his fate as in he doesn't try to run away. He also carries out Wednesdays' wake, which kills him. But I wonder if it requires a strong ethic to accept and follow as he does. But yes, I would think it requires a great deal of trust and acceptance to show up at the home of Czernobog when he could have stayed away. But would staying away have changed his fate?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 PM   #75
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Possibly. Certainly not in the world of American Gods. But if he doesn't believe in the gods why would he believe in fate (or the Fates, lol)?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote