Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 05:09 AM   #31
shazwagon
shazwagon is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony T-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
What do you need to clear up? Most ePub DRMs can be easily stripped. That will allow Sony and B&N books to be converted. Many other formats can also be stripped of DRM. Calibre can easily convert most eBook formats to MOBI, and they look great. You can either use Calibre to send your books to the K DXG or you can simply drag and drop them yourself.

As a new owner of the K DXG and a former or current owner of every Sony Reader (except the old 500) and some other readers as well, I can definitely state that the K DXG does indeed blow all of them out of the water! No question in my mind that this is the clearest e-Ink screen I've ever seen and has the darkest text. Plus it is easy to modify for custom fonts. I use Arial Rounded MT Bold and it is easy to read even in dim light.

Sorry for harping on one point but can I really, on a Kindle, put my own books without having to pay anything extra to Amazon? Or this was just a rumor?

The biggest attraction for me here is the screen size and the international 3G.

Thanks.
shazwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #32
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Just hook the Kindle up to your computer that is running Calibre, then send books to the kindle from Calibre (format must naturally be compatible). I have 256 books on my Kindle, and they've all been sent to teh device via usb and Calibre. Amazon isn't involved in that
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #33
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
80% of the books on my DX did not come from Amazon. They where transferred via usb from my computer.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shazwagon View Post
Sorry for harping on one point but can I really, on a Kindle, put my own books without having to pay anything extra to Amazon? Or this was just a rumor?
You asked exactly this same question a few hours ago on a different thread, and were answered there by several people. Please don't ask questions if you're not prepared to believe the answers.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #35
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You asked exactly this same question a few hours ago on a different thread, and were answered there by several people. Please don't ask questions if you're not prepared to believe the answers.
I agree with Harry! So one last time let me state again, as many others have already stated, Yes Virginia there is a Santa Claus. All jokes aside, yes you can easily transfer non-Amazon purchased books that are not DRM protected to a Kindle DXG and it does not require any special software. Simply plug the provided USB cable into the KDXG and your computer then drag and drop your files from your computer into the KDXG's Document folder. It doesn't get more simple than that. You can also use calibre to populate the KDXG with books, but you don't need to. I prefer the simple drag and drop method.
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #36
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
If you want a PRS900 buy it. Who cares. Enjoy.

With regards to the DXG, I saw met a friend yesterday who had the DXG. I brought my DX. I was astounded by the difference. Based on the comments on this forum I thought it would be the same with slightly darker letters. Wrong. The my dx looked greenish gray and washed out. The DXG had not just darker letters but a clearly whiter background. The first screen that matches or surpasses my beloved 505.

By the way, I don't approve of DRM. My DX is 80% filled. Not a single book on my DX has DRM. I buy my books, usually, but I remove the DRM for my own use.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote