Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #1
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Collections for a new Kindle

Hello every1,

Wanted to ask here about my collection dillemma with my kindle pw3 please.

I have been using collections forever to sort my books on my kindle. I created the collections on the ereader and add new books to the appropriate collection at the time
Of purchase.

Pretty soon I will have to update to a kindle with more room. I have over 1000 books and am running out of space.

I rarely go online to manage my books, but I just did and did not see my collections. I assumed when I do such organizing on my kindle it would transfer to my online account but guess I was very wrong.

Is there an easy way to transer my collections and content to online so that it can be downloaded when I purchase my kindle upgrade? Or do I have to start from scratch on the new purchase and/ or the online account?

Thank you for reading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I find IF the books are Direct from Amazon they go to the proper collection once the collection & ebooks are on the device. Side loaded ebooks you have to do. Good thing about Kindles once they in a collection you dont see them Except In the collection...unlike the Kobo..
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
Hello every1,

Wanted to ask here about my collection dillemma with my kindle pw3 please.

I have been using collections forever to sort my books on my kindle. I created the collections on the ereader and add new books to the appropriate collection at the time
Of purchase.

Pretty soon I will have to update to a kindle with more room. I have over 1000 books and am running out of space.

I rarely go online to manage my books, but I just did and did not see my collections. I assumed when I do such organizing on my kindle it would transfer to my online account but guess I was very wrong.

Is there an easy way to transer my collections and content to online so that it can be downloaded when I purchase my kindle upgrade? Or do I have to start from scratch on the new purchase and/ or the online account?

Thank you for reading.
I would have suggested using calibre to manage your collections but that does require a jailbroken Kindle which a new Kindle is unlikely to be.

I tried putting a couple of collections on my Kindle with books that I sideloaded however the books did not show up as in collections on amazon.ca.

You should be able to register your new Kindle to your current online account so any purchased/emailed books should synchronize but I suspect you may have to re-create the majority of your collections manually.

Edit: Unlike the Kobo devices where series and collections are much easier to manage and you can create & delete them or move books in and out of series or collections from calibre. Though I must admit that a Kobo device will not show a single view with collections and books mixed. Things are tough all over.

Last edited by DNSB; 08-17-2020 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Edited for the benefit of Barbara1955
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
If you wish to organize sideloaded books into collections, perhaps you should consider a non-Amazon e-reader.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:12 AM   #5
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
What about the calibre plugin called " Kindle collections" or is that something different? Sorry new to this, just have noticed the plugin.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2020, 10:03 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
What about the calibre plugin called " Kindle collections" or is that something different? Sorry new to this, just have noticed the plugin.
For any Kindle newer than the Kindle DX, 2, 3, and 4 non-touch models, you need a jailbroken Kindle. Since the OP is planning on purchasing a newer Kindle than a PW3, the chances are pretty close to nil that it will be able to be jailbroken.
Old 08-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For any Kindle newer than the Kindle DX, 2, 3, and 4 non-touch models, you need a jailbroken Kindle. Since the OP is planning on purchasing a newer Kindle than a PW3, the chances are pretty close to nil that it will be able to be jailbroken.
People have been getting good results on the PW4 following the instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=782

So, chances much better than nil for PW4, which is newer than PW3.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:40 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What Pajamaman said. With calibre the Kobos handle collections beautifully. They also handle series, separately. (It used to be that series were organized as collections but that's no longer necessary now that Kobos handle series natively.)

Of course, if your books are in kindle format, but that's not a problem since calibre can convert them into the format the Kobo wants, epub.

I buy my books from Amazon, download them from their My Content and Devices web page, then load them into Calibre. The Apprentice Alf plugin removes the DRM so then I can convert them to epub.

Last edited by hobnail; 08-18-2020 at 10:43 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I barely use collections, because 1) they are so limited and 2) I don’t want to put in the time. It would be nice if Kindle automatically organized book series, grouped by author, figured out which books you had started and not started, and organized by genre/category, or maybe by LOC or Dewey decimal or with machine learning. Anything would be better than what I would come up with, and I’d probably get half way with ‘organizing’, think of a different way, and have to start over. No thank you.

The Audible app now does most of this, but at least the first implementation has some serious flaws.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I barely use collections, ...
I don't use them on my Kobo but the calibre driver is creating ones from a custom column I've set up. What's really nice on the Kobo is the series stuff. You can also display just authors, which then gives how many books by each one there are. The author sort on the Kindle is a joke as far as I'm concerned. Things like this are why I rave about the Kobo, although admittedly the display could be better with the banding problem (which can be eliminated by keeping the brightness low). I won't hesitate to buy the successor to the Forma.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
I don't use them on my Kobo but the calibre driver is creating ones from a custom column I've set up. What's really nice on the Kobo is the series stuff. You can also display just authors, which then gives how many books by each one there are. The author sort on the Kindle is a joke as far as I'm concerned. Things like this are why I rave about the Kobo, although admittedly the display could be better with the banding problem (which can be eliminated by keeping the brightness low). I won't hesitate to buy the successor to the Forma.
Calibre is another thing I don’t have time for, great as it is. The collections for Kindle are better than nothing, and I do use them, but in my ideal world, I would not feel the need to spend any time organizing at all, because they’d be automatically organized for typical use cases.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:22 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Calibre is another thing I don’t have time for, great as it is. The collections for Kindle are better than nothing, and I do use them, but in my ideal world, I would not feel the need to spend any time organizing at all, because they’d be automatically organized for typical use cases.
If you gotta dream, dream big.

Though going by many posts I've read over the years I've been using MobileRead, a lot of people seem to spend more time trying to organize their ebooks, perfect the metadata, worry about page counts which considering most ebooks are reflowable is pretty damn silly, IMNSHO and almost anything except actually reading ebooks on their ereaders.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:05 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you gotta dream, dream big.

Though going by many posts I've read over the years I've been using MobileRead, a lot of people seem to spend more time trying to organize their ebooks, perfect the metadata, worry about page counts which considering most ebooks are reflowable is pretty damn silly, IMNSHO and almost anything except actually reading ebooks on their ereaders.
Yes, I don’t really understand the obsession with organizing, but this is certainly the place to discuss it in all of its glory.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:14 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
This is older than the hills.

Flanders and Swann got it. As the end of A Song of Reproduction puts it:

"High Fideliity,
FFRR for me.
I've an opera here that you shan't escape,
On miles and miles of recording tape.
High decimal gain,
Is easy to obtain.
With the tone control at a single touch,
Bel canto sounds like double Dutch.
But I never did care for music much,
It's the high fidelity!"
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #15
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you wish to organize sideloaded books into collections, perhaps you should consider a non-Amazon e-reader.
Thank you. I do have an old Nook that I uses just for sideloading.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections