Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 04:45 AM   #1
Torkia
Torkia began at the beginning.

Device: Laptop
Converting DRMed opf to Epub

Hello all!

I have an issue and I would like some help.

I recently bought an ebook through eSentral (a Malaysian company), which uses their own eSentral reader to access and read the books. In my laptop, the book is divided in META-INF and OEPBS folders within which there are separate files (.opf, .html etc.)

I wanted to create an epub for safekeeping just in case, and after some research I used this method I found in the forum here.

It seemed to have worked initially, Calibre was able to recognize the Title of the book and all, converted it to epub, BUT unfortunately when I opened the epub file the book was all gibberish. No readable text-just random letters everywhere, no images etc.

I suspect it is because the book is DRMed? I am not sure if it is possible to troubleshoot this issue.

I would be very grateful for any help/info.
Torkia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkia View Post
I suspect it is because the book is DRMed? I am not sure if it is possible to troubleshoot this issue.

I would be very grateful for any help/info.
Sorry but specific help with removing DRM is not permitted on MobileRead.

A couple of suggestions though.

Did you try adding the files/directories to a .zip file and then renaming it as .epub? The mimetype file goes uncompressed in the root of the .zip file, the META-INF and OEBPS directories are compressed.

Given the eSentral's web page says they are using epub format but with their own DRM, DRM removal may not be possible. Google Apprentice Alf or Apprentice Harper for more information and possibly some help.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-28-2020 at 03:50 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2020, 02:30 AM   #3
Torkia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Did you try adding the files/directories to a .zip file and then renaming it as .epub? The mimetype file goes uncompressed in the root of the .zip file, the META-INF and OEBPS directories are compressed.
Thank you so much for your reply. First, I would like to clarify I did not intend to indulge in illegal or inappropriate actions of DRM removal or other. I was genuinely interested in what may have caused the conversion issue on a technical level.

I did try your suggestion. I renamed the .zip to .epub, which turned the compressed file into an epub per se. I reloaded it on calibre, but same thing. No readable text or images, all gibberish.

I also launched the epub to another converter software and it showed an error of "DRM unknown", so it couldn't even read the book or do any conversion. It was kept "locked".

I suspect the proprietary DRM of the company is the "culprit" indeed.

Thank you again for your help.
Old 03-29-2020, 03:12 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
but you can probably install the books and the proprietary reader on 2 or more PCs, in order to have some level of backup. and/or store a copy of the reader installer program

when that store goes out of business, you will regret buying books with proprietary, not-removable DRM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
From their website faq:

Quote:
Q Can I transfer the eBook I acquire from E-Sentral to another third party reader device or app such as Amazon Kindle? Isn`t an EPUB file transferrable to other reader device or app?
A No. EPUB files in E-Sentral are dedicated to E-Sentral`s reader application only. The application is only available for iOS 8.0, Android 4.0 and Windows 8.1 and above.
This is one of those companies locking their e-books to proprietary Android and or IOS apps (and apparently Windows?). The article here, though dated, is very interesting:

E-Sentral

Some notable quotes:

Quote:
E-Sentral has also created its own Digital Rights Management (DRM) to ensure that the copyright of the books is protected.

Initially, the company wanted to buy a DRM system from the West, but found it too expensive. Rather than pay for it, they decided to create one – and that turned out to be a good decision because, “Now there’s interest from the Middle East to purchase our system,” says Faiz.
Quote:
The e-books are currently available for iPads and iPhones, and are priced 50% to 60% lower than their “tree book” versions as there are no printing or distribution costs, says Faiz.
The second quote, if still true, indicates that the Publishers concerned may be a little more realistic than some of the traditional publishers in the west. However, there seems to be little hope that this DRM will be circumvented. unless the platform becomes really popular. In my view such platforms are to be avoided. If you can't read it on a Kindle or epub e-reader, forget it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2020, 05:34 AM   #6
Torkia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
when that store goes out of business, you will regret buying books with proprietary, not-removable DRM.
That was exactly my thought when I wanted to create a backup file. If they go out of business at any time, or even remove the book from their list at some point I might not be able to get it back or access it.
However, I did manage to create a backup file just in case with an unconventional method not including DRM bypass. It's a technical book for personal use and I truly had to make a file for safekeeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
The second quote, if still true, indicates that the Publishers concerned may be a little more realistic than some of the traditional publishers in the west. However, there seems to be little hope that this DRM will be circumvented. unless the platform becomes really popular. In my view such platforms are to be avoided. If you can't read it on a Kindle or epub e-reader, forget it.
I agree, I avoid generally "unpopular" platforms, but it was the only one that was offering the book in any ebook format. With the quarantine and everything underperforming I couldn't wait two months+ to receive the paperback as I needed it to carry on with my research asap.

Very interesting discussion. Thank you all for your attention and input.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
as a last resort, if the reader is on a laptop, you can screen grab it one page at a time and save the images.
tedious, but do-able

I could speculate on how to script / automate that, but it would probably run foul of the site's rules on helping with drm
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote