Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 02-23-2022, 05:38 AM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Book crashes Koreader on android but opens fine on Kobo

I have two devices, both running KOReader 2022.01. There is one epub book that opens without problems on my Kobo Clara, but on my Inkpalm 5 (android) if I try to open the same book it crashes KOReader.

I have tried reformatting the book, checked it with epubcheck, cleared the cache etc. but it keeps on crashing. I would be grateful for any advice on how to troubleshoot this.

Last edited by jlynton; 02-23-2022 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Are you trying to open the book in landscape mode?
Try portrait mode. If it is okay, take the current nightly build or wait for 2022.02. The bug has been fixed.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2022, 07:25 AM   #3
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Are you trying to open the book in landscape mode?
Try portrait mode. If it is okay, take the current nightly build or wait for 2022.02. The bug has been fixed.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have it in portrait mode. Other books open fine on the device.
Old 02-23-2022, 07:52 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
From GH Bug report template: Android logs are kept in memory. Please go to Help → Bug Report to save these logs to a file.

Just do the steps needed to reproduce the crash.
After the crash follow instructions above and attach the crash.log file (its path is documented on the bug report widget).

Bugs reports are better reported on GH but if you attach the log here I can make a ticket for this.

Also there're some bugs that are old by definition and were already fixed in master. It is always recommended to try to reproduce the bug you find on last nightly before submitting a new ticket.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #5
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
From GH Bug report template: Android logs are kept in memory. Please go to Help → Bug Report to save these logs to a file.
Thanks pazos, but I cannot find Help - Bug report on my device.
Advert
Old 02-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #6
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Top menu - Hamburger (rightmost) - Help - Report a bug
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Top menu - Hamburger (rightmost) - Help - Report a bug
Thanks, I hadn't realised it was in KOReader itself. Here's the log.
Attached Files
File Type: zip crash.log.zip (14.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 02-23-2022, 03:34 PM   #8
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
When was the crash exactly? I'm not seeing anything weird in there.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 06:11 AM   #9
jlynton
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
When was the crash exactly? I'm not seeing anything weird in there.
It was shortly after 14:00 I believe. I am a bit short of time now, but will try to reproduce it later and upload another crash log.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be useful to enable debug logging while you're at it. From the file manager, tools → developer options → debug logging.
Old 03-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
jlynton
Evangelist

Hello, and sorry for the delay in responding.
I was unable to find 'developer options', am now running KOReader 02.2022

I attach a new crash.log, if you go to 03-01 17:54:21.542 that is where I tried to open the book. I hope this is of help.

[edit] I have found and enabled debug logging, see newcrash.log.zip, tried to open the book at 03-01 18:53:35.712 [/edit]
Attached Files
File Type: zip newcrash.log.zip (24.8 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by jlynton; 03-01-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2022, 03:00 PM   #12
Frenzie
Wizard

There's something I didn't think to ask previously. Is it possible the book's just taking a really long time to load?

Although since we added this it should no longer happen that Android displays a not responding message if you tap on the screen while it's busy.
https://github.com/koreader/koreader...derui.lua#L110
Old 03-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #13
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Indeed. CRengine starts rendering the document and, after 30 seconds, the VM dies.

Code:
03-01 18:53:36.444 V/KOReader(14325):  CreDocument: rendering document...
03-01 18:54:04.068 I/zygote  (14325): Thread[3,tid=14331,WaitingInMainSignalCatcherLoop,Thread*=0xa5aa3200,peer=0x14240130,"Signal Catcher"]: reacting to signal 3
03-01 18:54:04.068 I/zygote  (14325): 
03-01 18:54:04.165 I/zygote  (14325): Wrote stack traces to '[tombstoned]'
Unfortunately there's no enough info to figure out what's happening. It could be an out of memory error or something else.

If you're able to get the tombstone then please attach it here too. If not you can enable ADB and dump the full logs android provides. Sadly apps cannot log system wide info, such as debug statements.

More info in https://source.android.com/devices/t...l=en#debuggerd

You can also attach the document here. If it is copyrighted you'll need to scramble it with a calibre plugin and check that you still get the error on the scrambled copy.

Just a few more questions: how many MB of ram has your device? Can you reproduce the issue in any other android device with a minimum of 1000MB of ram?
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:05 AM   #14
jlynton
Evangelist

Thank you both for your replies.

Frenzie, I did once try leaving it for 20 minutes to see if it would load, it did not.

pazos, I have no idea how to get the tombstone, is it a complicated procedure? my device is an Inkpalm 5 which has 1GB of ram. I have previously opened many books, some much larger (file size and/or number of pages) without any problems. Which calibre plugin can be used to scramble the book?
Old 03-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #15
Frenzie
Wizard

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267998 for the ScrambleEbook plugin.