Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-07-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Fire OS 5 update coming soon

My Fire HDX 7 (3rd Gen) is showing a letter on the carousel this morning saying that it will be updated to OS 5 in the coming weeks. I must admit I wasn't expecting 2013 Fires to get OS 5.

Screen Shot removed.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-07-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:17 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Why... My K3 still gets up dates. I thought you sold all your Amazon Tablets & eInk readers. Did you decide to hang on to them...
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why... My K3 still gets up dates. I thought you sold all your Amazon Tablets & eInk readers. Did you decide to hang on to them...
I sold my HDX 8.9 I still have the HDX7 and hubby has the HD6, that doesn't have the letter.

I didn't think Amazon would give OS 5 to 2013 models, certainly not before 2014 Fires.

Edited to say the HD6 now has the letter too.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-07-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
I got the same letter on my hdx this morning.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I got an update on the K3 Last year...look how old they are

OK Just didn't know what you kept
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 PM   #6
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Didn't get a notice on my fire6 yet, but I am looking forward to when they get it to me.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
My Fire HDX 7 (3rd Gen) is showing a letter on the carousel this morning saying that it will be updated to OS 5 in the coming weeks. I must admit I wasn't expecting 2013 Fires to get OS 5.

Screen Shot removed.
They announced their intentions to update with the launch of the new Fire tablets. If I remember correctly, the 2013 HDX8.9 is not getting it, but HD6 and 2014 HDX8.9 are. The beta for Fire OS 5 was available for this same set of devices.

Yes, and the letter just showed up on my HD6. But no download link yet.

No mention of the 'blue filter' feature, but I guess that is yet to come for everyone. While I'm skeptical that it is at all necessary (beyond common sense use of 'night mode' or screen dimming to adjust to low-light conditions), I have installed f.lux on my computers and am about to try something similar for my Android device, just to see for myself. iOS seems to be missing out on the blue filter craze.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-07-2016 at 08:34 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
If I remember correctly, the 2013 HDX8.9 is not getting it, but HD6 and 2014 HDX8.9 are.
That's what I originally thought (since they usually only update the previous years Fire devices), but I just got the notification on my 2013 8.9 HDX that the update was coming soon.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 01-07-2016 at 10:02 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
That's what I originally thought (since they usually only update the previous years Fire devices), but I just got the notification on my 2013 8.9 HDX that the update was coming soon.
Oh, that's good. Also the 2014 HD7 should be getting it too.

In theory, the update should confer performance benefits: apps will run faster, and battery should not drain as fast, and it is more secure.

My Android phone just updated to Lollipop (5.1). I like the UI refresh, but cannot say I've noticed improved battery performance. It will be interesting to compare it with the Fire OS update to see where things are different, particularly in Settings.

This is a nice overview of the improvements, many of which should apply to Fire OS:

http://www.engadget.com/android-lollipop-review/
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Amazon told me they sent that letter in error:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2016/0...re-hdx-owners/

"We inadvertently sent the message about the update to a small portion of our tablet customers who have earlier versions of Fire tablets, and we are following up with them to apologize for the inconvenience"
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

"We inadvertently sent the message about the update to a small portion of our tablet customers who have earlier versions of Fire tablets, and we are following up with them to apologize for the inconvenience"
Nothing on my HDX yet to say the letter was wrong, but tbh they either will or they won't. We have both a 3rd and 4th Gen Fire so will just wait and see. I am not really bothered either way.

Actually if Amazon do roll out OS 5 to the older models like the HDXs it will just confirm how bad the current models are. So probably not in their best interests.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post

Amazon's policy of one major upgrade for their tablets is ridiculous. I have a 2013 HDX 8.9 that was gifted to me and it'll be the last premium tablet from them that I'll ever own. My limit for a new Amazon tablet is currently set at $50.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
So does that mean my older Fire6 will not get the update at all? Or just at a later date.
Or is this just about the HDX fires.

Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
So does that mean my older Fire6 will not get the update at all? Or just at a later date.
Or is this just about the HDX fires.

The HD 6 will get it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Amazon's policy of one major upgrade for their tablets is ridiculous.
That's a real policy, or just what they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My limit for a new Amazon tablet is currently set at $50.
Same here, although I'll probably choose a non-Amazon tablet from now on.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote