Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #1
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
Library eBooks Readable = Win

I don't remember seeing this posted before, I recently found a 'fix' to allow the reading of Library eBooks on the BeBook Support website. I'm sure it would work for other Hanlin's as well. I have tried this fix with an eBook from my local library and it works.

Here are the steps:
Quote:
Download settime.exe.fb2 (the extension should be .fb2) and save it to your SD card, then go to the bookshelf and open settime.exe.fb2

http://rapidshare.com/files/15125448...e.exe.fb2.html

You will see the menu for making the changes. DO NOT PRESS "Cancel" BUTTON on your BeBook during this process. If you do so, you will not harm the device, but you will need to reset it by pressing the reset button on the back of BeBook. You will see the spinning symbol making it appear that the file is still loading, this is normal, go ahead and navigate as below.

The navigation is simple:
  • keys 1 and 2 select the thing that you want to change (hour, min, year, OK, etc)
  • keys 4, 5 and 9, 0 do the increment or decrement for the selected field.
  • Cancel -- exit without saving.
  • Ok -- save and exit.

The time and date will be saved in the BeBook memory only until you switch it off. There is no backup battery inside so that information (the configured time/date) cannot be kept or preserved. Just put your BeBook into 'standby mode' with the short press of the power button, this will not run down your battery as fast as leaving it on.
Edit: I have also added these instructions to the Hanlin V3 Wiki.

Last edited by Justy; 04-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
Yes I found this work-around a few weeks ago as well.. There is a nice side benefit of not having a real clock on this system and spoofing one this way. You can take longer then 3 weeks (or what ever your Library limits you too) to read your book.. As you can just reset you clock to any day withing your allowed borrowing time and you can continue to read your book till finished.. No need to re-checkout the book.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
I don't remember seeing this posted before, I recently found a 'fix' to allow the reading of Library eBooks on the BeBook Support website. I'm sure it would work for other Hanlin's as well. I have tried this fix with an eBook from my local library and it works.

Here are the steps:

Edit: I have also added these instructions to the Hanlin V3 Wiki.
Great find.

I fixed the entry in the wiki as the rapidshare link was bad. (You can't jut clip and paste an abbreviated link. That won't work anywhere.) I also changed the link to provide the file locally within the wiki itself to make it easier to obtain.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Great find.

I fixed the entry in the wiki as the rapidshare link was bad. (You can't jut clip and paste an abbreviated link. That won't work anywhere.) I also changed the link to provide the file locally within the wiki itself to make it easier to obtain.

Dale
Thanks for fixing that for me, I cut and pasted it from the original fix description and didn't think to adjust it.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One improvement to this program would be to have it save the date and time you enter in a file when it exits and load it when you start the program. This would mean that when you visit it again you would likely not have to change as much data and you could also re-run the program to verify that the date and time worked.

A more sophisticated improvement would be to auto update the displayed date and time when you run the program if it finds that the current seconds counter is higher than the default value it saved from last time.

Dale
Advert
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Ok.. google doesn't turn up anything useful: What are these library ebooks you are talking about ? Where can I find them ?

Thanks,
TimT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
Justy
Fanatic

Hi TimT,

Many local libraries are offering eBook downloads now, you may want to check your library's website and see if they are too. Several libraries will allow you to download their eBooks either for free or for a yearly fee, even if you don't live in their area. You can find a comprehensive list of these eBook Lending Libraries on the MobileRead Wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

Last edited by Justy; 05-14-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justy View Post
Hi TimT,

Many local libraries are offering eBook downloads now, you may want to check your library's website and see if they are too. Several libraries will allow you to download their eBooks either for free or for a yearly fee, even if you don't live in their area. You can find a comprehensive list of these eBook Lending Libraries on the MobileRead Wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
Ah.. thank you.. Unfortunately, my local small village library doesn't offer ebooks, but some of the publicly accessible might just fill the gaps in my collection in time for the holidays.

Thanks!
TImT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
I have an EZ Reader and have tried using the settime.exe fix to allow reading library books, but for some reason when I exit it saves the time information, but not the date. I've tried it with both the Feb. Bebook firmware, and also the May Pixelar firmware, with the same result. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
DaleDe,

I noticed that the library list on the wiki includes Fictionwise, but it doesn't include the Baen Free Library. Is there some rule regarding public versus private libraries on the list, or should I add Baen?

thx
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
DaleDe,

I noticed that the library list on the wiki includes Fictionwise, but it doesn't include the Baen Free Library. Is there some rule regarding public versus private libraries on the list, or should I add Baen?

thx
Library list is for checkout of library books which expire (ereturned). DRM is supported for enforce the time limit. Does Baen meet this criteria? Being able to download books does not constitute a library. However, I need to check Fictionwise. They may have discontinued their library checkout which was based on mobi books. Thanks for noticing. I will follow up on this.

Dale
Old 08-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Library list is for checkout of library books which expire (ereturned). DRM is supported for enforce the time limit. Does Baen meet this criteria? Being able to download books does not constitute a library. However, I need to check Fictionwise. They may have discontinued their library checkout which was based on mobi books. Thanks for noticing. I will follow up on this.

Dale
Fictionwise still seems to have their lending library and the Baen so called library is already listed in the free book page so I think things are ok. I will have to visit the list of devices that can be used to checkout books now that the new ADE releases hit all of the new devices permitting ePUB and PDF checkouts. If you can verify that your device works it should be added at the bottom of the lending library list.

Dale
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Thx for the update.

You are correct that the Baen Free library is not for expiring books. Baen allows you to permanently own the books that you download.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Thx for the update.

You are correct that the Baen Free library is not for expiring books. Baen allows you to permanently own the books that you download.
Exactly and we have a different page for that feature and they are listed on that page already and have been for quite a while. Lending Library is simply different than free downloads.