Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
Also, when I go from screensaver to text, I can still see the slide power button text faintly on the screen. Anyone else?
Yes, I do too.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli
Also, when I go from screensaver to text, I can still see the slide power button text faintly on the screen. Anyone else?
yes I see it also. its because the screen doesn't refresh on the bottom. After coming out of sleep mode, click menu button twice and it will clear the bottom.

also is anyone else seeing ghost words when reading only text? in the background I can lightly see words from the previous page. That doesn't happen with kindle 1.

Last edited by Matches Malone; 02-26-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
KimmyA
KimmyA began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I saw side by side pictures on another board and the K2 does look lighter in those pictures. I don't have a K2 so I'm only going by those pictures. Those that have K2, is it easy to read or does the lighter color make it harder to read?

Last edited by KimmyA; 02-26-2009 at 10:52 AM.
KimmyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #19
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I just compared it to my iLiad, also 16 shades.

The K2 does appear slightly fainter, maybe with a "speckier" look, as in specks. Maybe it's the font the K2 uses.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #20
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
I have had my K2 for one full day. This is my first E-reader ever.

For me, the K2 display is great. No problems reading on it whatsoever. I will say that for me reading under flourescent is a little better than under a normal incandescent. But still no issues reading under either one.

I also tried out the Mighty Bright light last night in bed and it was great. Once again, no issues for me under any light sources.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
freecia
Enthusiast
freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.freecia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle 3 3g+wifi, kindle 2, kindle 1
I noticed this issue, too! I like K1's darker text and wish there were a setting to change this on K2. Maybe dark gray on light gray is better for the eyes??? But at the end of the day I've been staring at text all day and need text definition to be crisp and dark or my brain/eyes needs to strain a bit to make out the words. I usually use the middle font size options but maybe I'll bump it up for night reading on K2. No such issues with K1.
freecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #22
SCTrojans83
SCTrojans83 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I never had the K1 but I was wishing that the K2 was just a tad bit darker. Try this, press alt+g on the page that you just turned to. It is much nicer after that. So I think it is a software thing.
SCTrojans83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #23
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTrojans83 View Post
I never had the K1 but I was wishing that the K2 was just a tad bit darker. Try this, press alt+g on the page that you just turned to. It is much nicer after that. So I think it is a software thing.
Just tried this and it definitely makes the text a little blacker. It looks like a problem with the way the kindle 2 only refreshes the middle of the screen and not the whole screen. I hope amazon can release a software upgrade quickly and get this fixed.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
can't tell much difference from the pictures you've posted, gotta have more side by side comparison in one image.
But you seem not to be alone on this -> http://erratasec.blogspot.com/2009/0...-kindle-2.html

here are couple of quotes from his review:
Quote:
the contrast sucks...
Quote:
The Kindle 2 dramatically improves the updates speed, but at the cost of contrast. It appears to my untrained eye that the contrast is worse, that the background is a little bit darker, and the text a little bit lighter...
Quote:
...I, on the other hand, don't like the contrast of the new Kindle and may go back to the old one....
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:04 PM   #25
m42
Enthusiast
m42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle fire and paperwhite, Ipad mini and Retina, Note 2, Nook tab,HD
I seems much darker than my prs 505. I put the 2 screens together and the 505 definitely has more contrast. I assumed that with more grayscale there would be more contrast. Right now I'm not happy with my kindle.
m42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #26
Matches Malone
Connoisseur

I just talked to kindle tech support and they told me they have never heard anyone else complain that the text was lighter and looked washed out on the kindle 2. I told him that just pressing alt g to do a refresh in a book makes the text slightly darker. Then he had me do a factory reset, which didn't change anything. He then declared my kindle 2 defective and is sending me another one next day (Monday). I don't think it is defective, its just that the kindle 2 displays text lighter now on all of them and needs a firmware update. If more people complain, perhaps they will push a fix out quicker.