Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
SillyBear80
NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!
SillyBear80 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 500
Question Connect? Calibre? Other?

I am new to the e-book world(and not too technical). So I will be having ALOT of questions. Today I am wondering if Connect or Calibre or another program is better to use for a SONY PRS 500? I paln to get some of my books from the Sony Library, but not all of them. Most of them will probably come from other sources.

Also, could you list some pros and cons for each of the programs.

Thanks!!!!!!!
SillyBear80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
SillyBear--

You'll need to use the Sony Connect program for any books you buy from Sony. Calibre is a good program for converting files from other formats to formats the Sony reads.

Personally, I use the Sony Connect program for loading books on to my Reader only because it performs the work of "pre-paginating" the books. If you don't use the Sony Program, your reader has to figure out how many pages are in each book at each font size. Not a big deal, just takes the books longer to load the first time you open them or change the font size.

I suggest downloading Calibre and playing with it. Just see which one works better for you and ask questions if you don't understand how something works.

Have fun with your reader!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I stopped using Connect after I got a new PC since it is not compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit. I miss the prepagination but I got over it. It takes my 505 fifteen or so seconds to paginate most books the first time I read them or change fonts. I use Calibre as a friendly front end for format conversions and just use Windows Explorer to copy files into my e-reader. Last firmware update for my 505 let us delete books after we read them. Not sure if the 500 allows that or else forces you to use an outside program?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
I stopped using Connect after I got a new PC since it is not compatible with Windows Vista 64 bit.
FYI: The newest release (2.5 I think it is) supports 64-bit.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote