Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-21-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Strange result (font embedding)

I finished a book in calibre, and I wanted to embed a font since the text contains also other characters than ASCII and their support may vary.

I remember that this is a PITA and somehow it looks to me a question of chance rather than method. I know that somehow I manage this, yet the time outs between these results lays a memory-erase blanket upon my mind - I simply do not remember how I did it.

As always I instruct calibre to embed fonts, and it does. Then I subset it, to save some space.

Usually the problems appear to be linked to the missing style, either Bold or Italic, or the Bold-Italic.

In this case however, only two characters of a word are shown in Italic, both the same é, but not the rest of the word.

In other places, the Italics are not observed at all (it should have been 076.384 Universitate

Has anyone of you ever met this strange situation? And if yes, is there any explanation and a cure?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ttf.1.png
Views:	411
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	158594  
Attached Images

Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is important to add that the font used has 4 variants for each format.
So far, the only solution I have found is to rename in CSS the name of the font to differ, for instance from Georgia to GeorgiaBold or to GeorgiaItalic accordingly- yet this is not a perfect solution, because the changed name does no longer reflect the internal name.
Advert
Old 08-21-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That should not be required. Perhaps it is an unexpected result of the subsetting feature of Calibre. Why don't you open an issue there to see if it is?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: Georgia;
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  src: url(../fonts/georgia.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  src: url(../fonts/georgiab.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  src: url(../fonts/georgiai.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(../fonts/georgiabi.ttf);
}
Does the code for your embedded fonts look anything like that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:31 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Well, the fonts.css automatically generated by calibre (I assume calibre knows how to generate embedded fonts, shouldn't it?) is similar.

Apparently, the subsetting of fonts does something wrong. If I keep the fonts as they are, everything is as it should. After subsetting, sometimes the Italics go wrong, othertimes Bolded ones go wrong, and the damn thing, the preview in calibre does not give any hint, as it is displayed as I intended, only to find the error hours and days later when reading on the Sony.

I'll see deeper in the matter, and when I'm finished I'll write a definitive guide to embedding fonts - as I couldn't find any before asking this question. Yes, there are questions answered, but not a guide to prevent such questions asked in the future.
Advert
Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I often use Calibre to transform epubs to Kindle format, and it does that quite well. I would never use it to format a book for publication, if that's what you're doing.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please post the CSS so we can see what might be going on.

Is your code in the XHTML files just spanning the special characters or the entire words? Are you using the embedded fonts as the font for the entire eBook?
Old 08-23-2017, 06:03 AM   #8
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

I rarely mix up fonts in ePubs, for a simple reason - it's hard to line them up if one needs this.

So, yes, it's the main font - and I embed it only because I need to be sure all non-ASCII characters are correctly displayed.

The method I use is to do the book, and at the end, to do the font embedding - using the calibre's own macro/function.

After I check by sampling whether the letters are OK, I do the subset. Sometimes, calibre adds a second font definition (the first being added during embedding).

I am still investigating this behaviour. What I did in the past was to have the fonts.css and the fonts renamed as calibre does in a special directory and to import both (or all of them, should they have different names for each format) in ePub.

I know that most issues are related to improper addressing the fonts.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

There's nothing anyone can do to maybe help if you do not post the CSS.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

There's no difference except the fonts' name. The font names have been changed by calibre, that's they are different from yours. I added the ; myself to the last line.
Code:
@font-face {
	src: url(fonts/Georgia-Bold.ttf);
	font-family: "Georgia";
}

@font-face {
	src: url(fonts/Georgia-Bold-Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
	src: url(fonts/Georgia-Italic.ttf);
}

@font-face {
	src: url(fonts/Georgia.ttf);
}
Old 08-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
just off the bat...you need to fix the path for the files...

Code:
@font-face {
  src: url(../fonts/georgia.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(../fonts/georgiab.ttf);
}
@font-face {
  src: url(../fonts/georgiai.ttf);
}
@font-face {
src: url(../fonts/georgiabi.ttf);
}

Last edited by Turtle91; 08-23-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #12
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

I am aware of a path-to-fonts issue, as I mentioned it in message #8 last paragraph.
The path is correct (can be checked quickly in calibre by double clicking the path - if it's correct it will complain one way, if it's wrong it will complain that it cannot find the file).

Update: I worked a lot in calibre, and as I said, I do the embedding only at the end. Towards the end, after many trials, I got a lack of memory error and I restarted the software. I think (needs confirmation) this was the culprit - after restarting it could do the embedding and subsetting correctly.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If you are running a 64-bit Windows and have the 32-bit Calibre installed, uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit version.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
I am aware of a path-to-fonts issue, as I mentioned it in message #8 last paragraph.
The path is correct (can be checked quickly in calibre by double clicking the path - if it's correct it will complain one way, if it's wrong it will complain that it cannot find the file).

Update: I worked a lot in calibre, and as I said, I do the embedding only at the end. Towards the end, after many trials, I got a lack of memory error and I restarted the software. I think (needs confirmation) this was the culprit - after restarting it could do the embedding and subsetting correctly.
Well, the obvious way forward is to NOT use Calibre, to do the font subsetting, and do it yourself, using something like FontShrinker. That would confirm what the issue was--software (Calibre) or something else. At least, that's the bracket navigation I'd do, to troubleshoot the problem.

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've never had a problem with Calibre's font subsetting after the bugs were fixed so long ago. Another possible fix is to reboot the computer and try again.