Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2004, 01:22 AM   #1
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
What do you have installed on your PPC?

I thought I'd break the ice and list what I have installed on my ipaq and associated cards.... it was a bit of a shock when I stopped and looked at the full list

Here goes, first the non-games:

ubook reader (I won't list all my ebooks, that would take _far_ too long ), freeware

Avantgo (preinstalled)

Calc98, a freeware scientific calculator and unit converter

CastCE, an Atari ST emulator (not really used much, but I wanted to play the ST version of Dungeonmaster so I could get sound)

CHMReader, a utility to read compiled help files/ebooks, freeware

Codewallet Pro, secure encrypted wallet utility, very nice and used daily in my workplace, shareware registered

Ereader pro. We all know that one, shareware registered.

ICQ client

iSilo. We all know that one too , shareware registered

Magic Button, a free utility that lets you close programs with the X button instead of just minimising them, as well as giving you a nice little taskbar.

Microsoft Reader, never really used, but there just in case

PassGenCE, freeware random password generator, usefull for work

Pina, Pocket IIe, AppleCE: 3 free apple II emulators. Hey, I like apples!

PocketRAR, free RAR compression program for PPC

Pocket Screen Capture, free utility that can grab the current screen as a BMP image

PocketClive, a free ZX Spectrum emulator (so I can play Lords of Midnight and Doomdarks revenge whenever I like)

PocketDOS, very nice DOS emulator, emulates 186 "out of the box", but has CPU plugins to emulate 386 and 486 processors. Currently have SSG's Battlefront wargame and Space Crusade and Angband v2.8.2 (full DOS versions) installed which run very nicely on it. Shareware, unregistered

PocketExcel and PocketWord, preinstalled.

Pockethobbit, free C64 emulator. Only there because I can have it

PocketHTML.Net, free HTML editor for PPC

PocketMVP, free/open source movie/music player that handles many formats, including divx

Pocketputty, free putty terminal emulator port.

PocketTV, free movie/mpg player

Repligo, eseential for reading PDF's on a PDA, shareware registered

RSS Viewer, for reading RSS offline, free

Storage Tools, storage card utility, lets you scan, defrag and format any type of storage card plugged in, shareware registered

TascalRegEdit, freeware registry editor

Vade Mecum, plucker compatible reader, sadly no longer supported, freeware and open source

VirtualCE, utility to reproduce your PPC "desktop" on your PC desktop, using the mouse and keyboard to interact with the PPC. Excellent piece of software!!!! Shareware registered

VNCviewer, VNC client for PPC, freeware

Nyditot, utility to change the PPC resolution and orientation, so I can use landscape and higher res without a VGA ppc or WM 2003 SE

Phew.... now for the "games":

Aeon of Discovery, nice game rereating the discovery and exploration of N America, shareware registered

Argentum, good RTS similar to C&C, shareware registered

CE Zebra, free Othello game

Valentin Iliescu Chess, free chess program, good!

CTWord, free beta Crossword puzzle program, loads all Across Lite format crosswords

Duke3d, beta currently being developed and tested of a port of Duke3d to PPC (from smartphone!). Works very nicely (30 fps on my 200 MHz ipaq), still having issues with the controls but the developer should have that sorted soon (he only has a windows mobile smartphone so he's doing well!) - full version data file installed

Eggstreme, bejewelled clone from Clickgamers with an easter theme

gfDoom, the best of the doom ports to PPC. Full wads for Doom1 and 2 installed, works perfectly in normal or landscape.

Hell Chess, another free chess program. Installed but haven't really played with it yet

Invaders, free port of Space Invaders

Legacy, nice RPG in the same vein as Might and Magic, long way to go in it yet, shareware registered

Lemmings, free/opensource conversion of the classic game, only about 10 levels created for it though...

Level9CE, adventure emulator for those old Level 9 adventures like Snowball (anyone remember that one?)

Neotiles, freeware Mahjong game. Installed it promising I'd learn Mahjong and play it... haven't done so yet

Nethack 3.4.2 for PPC, nice conversion of Nethack

pGit, adventure emulator for Git format interactive fiction

pGlulxe, adventure emulator for Glulx format adventures

Pocket Gammon, free backgammon game

Pocket Dice, free dice rolling software, nice and configurable

Pocket heretic, PPC port of Heretic... shareware wad

Pocket Hexen, PPC port of Hexen, full wad

Pocket Hugo, free adventure emulator for Hugo format adventures

PocketMUD, free MUD client for ppc

PocketNester, free NES emulator. Excellent program, good speed and sound, and I have some ROMS too!

PocketQuake, port of Quake for PPC, runs well - full version wad (PocketQuake II is available too, but I've never tried it)

PocketSNES, free SNES emulator, very nice (though I don't have many SNES roms, I do have prince of persia)

Pocket TADS, adventure simulator for TAD format adventures

ScummVM, free PPC port of Scumm emulator. Runs well, have Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the African Queen installed, also free)

Warring Nations, nice strategy game, shareware registered

ZipCE, adventure simulator for Zip/Inform/Infocom format adventures. Use this one a bit as it's the most popular format - I have a lot of adventures...

Wow, that's a lot of stuff, and all squeezed into 64MB on the ipaq, and the 2 cards... and I didn't include all my ebooks!

If anybody is curious or wants more info on any of the above software, I'm happy to oblige.... join the dark side.... you know you want to....

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow Craig! This is a great resource. You better believe I'll be picking through here once I have my Axim in my hand. So between VirtualCE and VNCViewer, it sounds like you can control your PC from your PPC and vice versa. That's a great feature and something that I was looking for. I have the feeling that I'm going to be very happy...
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2004, 09:29 AM   #3
divajess
Connoisseur
divajess is on a distinguished road

Device: hp iPAQ 1910, Dell X30H
For some reason, I love reading what other people have installed on their PPC, but I never end up listing my own installed programs. So, I guess, here goes nothin'...

Clear Speed (utility specifically for overclocking the hp 1910)
Hot Death Uno (freeware card game--addictive!)
Chess (freeware)
PocketNES + some roms
ComicGURU (amazing program w/ desktop component for converting comic files (continuous read jpgs/gifs) for reading on the PPC viewer)
XnView Pocket (freeware)
GSPlayer (great freeware mp3/ogg player)
Kilmist Registry Editor
CTWord (freeware crossword puzzle program)
Tillanosoft Small Menu (freeware cascading menu program)
PhatPad (great Notes replacement)
PhatNotes (Notes organization)
Resco Explorer (an essential)
VITO Sound Explorer (thought I'm thinking of replacing this with NoteM for voice recording)
SPB Finance (I love this SO much more than MS Money for PPC)
ListPro (I am a habitual listmaker)
Bejeweled (my crack addiction game)
Calligrapher (my favorite input method)
HandyMenu (great little tray utility)
SPB Pocket Plus (best today screen utility out there!)
uBook (great for reading HTML/rtf/txt/doc straight from zip files)
eReader (I am an ebook addict, so this program is a must)
Pocket Informant (PIM replacement)
PIToday (Pocket Informant today screen plug-in)
BetaPlayer (AVI/MPG/DIVX player)
Worms World Party (cute game)
ZipCE (because I'm a nerd who still plays Zork)
eWallet (great for storing important info)
Textmaker (Pocket Word doesn't do it for me as a writer who depends on formatting, so this was the only way to go!)
Repligo (great for converting/viewing PDF files--usually they even keep their internal links!)
Vade Mecum (I'm going to try to use this for viewing Plucker files)

I wish I had a better PDA so I could run things like PocketSNES with no problem...my 1910 runs it almost up to speed when it's overclocked to turbo mode, but not THAT well. *sigh* Give me a faster processor and a 1GB SD card and the world better look out...
divajess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
JongJungBu
JongJungBu began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X30
I don't think I have as many apps and games as the rest of you installed. But let's see.

Apps:
- AOL Instant Messenger
- Cabinstl
- PocketNotepad
- PocketArtist - love it. can open my photoshop PSD files with layers intact
- PocketRAR
- WisBar

Games:
- Aeon of Discovery - a Trisystech game
- Giza - another Trisystech Game that you can win right now for free
- Medieval Folk Healer - another Trisystech game yay! What did you expect LOL
- Nethack 3.4.3 - never get tired of this hard game
- PocketNester - NES emu
- PocketQuake - Runs great on the x30 and im not even a FPS fan
- PocketSNES - SNES emu
- Snails 2.0 - Awaiting the results of the Snails Level Design Contest so I can try them out. After all I'm giving away a few prizes in it. Still a fun game.
- Warlords II - Not the best game in the world but the only Warlords port so far. I really want Warlords III but I'll settle for Warlords II heh.

This is all on my X30. There are different apps and games on my other PPCs but seeing as I don't use them primarily I won't bother.

JJB
JongJungBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:35 PM   #5
divajess
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JongJungBu

This is all on my X30. There are different apps and games on my other PPCs but seeing as I don't use them primarily I won't bother.

JJB
Not to bump things off topic, but how do you like your X30? I am really considering purchasing one as my next PPC, but I am put off a little by the rather boring form factor. I may or may not splurge for the 624MHz processor...which flavor did you get?
Advert
Old 09-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #6
JongJungBu

I purchased the High (624Mhz). I didn't mind the X3i's size/design/frame so since it's identical in that matter, wasn't an issue. I will say that I think and everyone I know thinks that the X3/X30 Dell cradle is the coolest though. ( I still like my Asus's ppc frame/size better than Dells but eh what can u do)

As for performance I have been very pleased with it. No problems with PocketPC-designed games. Emulations run just as good as the next person. And talking with someone reviewing the new Asus A730, the x30 still outbenchmarks the asus in PocketQuake. (But of course the X30 isn't VGA so that makes a difference although I think the gxdma.dll still didn't provide as much of a speed increase for the A730's vga mode to catchup.)

That's the only major issue I dislike is its lack of VGA. But it was so cheap! And that made up for it. Dual wifi + bt simultaneously is cool too.

JJB

Oh and just to say I didn't take it off topic:

I'm about to be reinstalling the PocketGCC so add that to the apps. I had yet to put that on the X30 along with Putty. Oh and the Travel Collection (game).

Last edited by JongJungBu; 09-15-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:48 PM   #7
divajess
Connoisseur

Yeah, I was thinking as far as screaming fast processors for PPC go, the Dell is the best value. I am just used to my pretty little curvy iPAQ...the cradle for the Dell IS the coolest, though. I would like a VGA PPC, but I'm also on the poor side as far as technical purchases go...so I may stick with non VGA for now...
Old 09-15-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
JongJungBu

Yeah I opted for the non-VGA PPC just because of the price. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'll prolly get the X50 for my VGA needs as I bet it'll be the cheapest VGA model out there. It may not necessarily BE cheap, but cheapER.

JJB

Back on topic again:
Forgot to mention I have my old Helios game beta (7 exp level cheapy RPG) on my ppc. I forgot as its in My Documents rather than a shortcut in games. Heheh.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by divajess
Clear Speed (utility specifically for overclocking the hp 1910)
A little OT I know, but how have your experiences been with overclocking your 1910? The 1930 runs at 200MHz, and I've found some software that overclocks it to 270 (about the same as a 1940) but I'm a little worried about consequences of overclocking.

Back on topic, you can now add PC Anywhere to my list of installed software. I just loaded up the beta from Symantec, and it works great!

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:39 PM   #10
divajess
Connoisseur

Well the 1910 has an XScale processor that tops out at 300MHz, so I'm actually using Clearspeed, a utility that takes it up to the 300MHz speed. The battery drains faster but I've noticed no ill effects.
Old 12-31-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
rockyabq
rockyabq began at the beginning.

Device: New: Samsung Charge, Old: iPaq 1955 / eReader Pro
A question & progs on my iPaq 1955

I just installed the newest version of eReader (3.0.3) and I have a big gripe. They've taken all icons off the bottom menu bar. All that remains is "Quit", the keyboard icon and "Menu". The old version included icons for "Find", "Find Next" and "Page Goto" that I used a lot. This new change is unacceptable to me, so I uninstalled the program and reinstalled 2.6.5 by running the CAB file on the iPaq. It worked but the darn menu bar is still that of the new version. I uninstalled again, deleted everything I could find using File Explorer with eReader or Peanut labels and reinstalled. Still the same problem. Does anyone know what I can do to restore the old menu bar? Thanks in advance.

Now... on to installed software. In the approximate order of usage:
eReader
TCPMP (magnificent movie player)
Lexipedia (a wikipedia compaction)
XnView (image viewer, slideshow, screen capture)
MS Pocket Streets (with maps for most major U. S. cities kept on my PC and transferred when needed)
Calc98 (calculator and units converter)
Pocket Stars (an astronomy & celestial navigation program)

Rarely (or never) used:
Frequency Tuner (for guitar tuning)
Ghronos (a stopwatch)
Life
PHM PPC Power Toys
uBook
Adobe Reader (for pdfs)
Pocket Artist
3ShoeBoxes

Games (in the approximate order of usage, but I very rarely play any of them):
Leo's Flight Simulator
Mini-Dogfight 1.4
Dots (GameBag One - Ilium)
FreeCell (nandhp)
Hang Him v 2.1 (hangman)
Mastermind v 1.0 (by P. V. Santen)
Tetris (Handmark)
Scrabble (Handmark)
Mines (Binary Fish)
Bubble Breaker (oopdreams)
Pocket Bricks v 1.2 (Tetris clone)

More games that I may never have played:
Backgammon (Handmark)
Checkers (Handmark)
Chess (Valentin Iliescu)
Colors (Handmark)
Pocket Chess (Handmark)
PPcCheckers v 1.0 (Ask4Soft)
Solitaire (basic Klondike by ?)
SuperSolitaire (Handmark)
Terni Lapilli 5.0 (like Pente)

Also on my 4gb SD card are many ebooks including fiction novels, dictionaries, medical dictionaries, medical references, drug handbook, an encyclopedia that I compiled some time back from the Microsoft Bookshelf abbreviated version of Encarta 2000, maps including the U. S. and countries of the world, star charts & constellation maps, a copy of the CIA World Fact Book, English grammar references, an encyclopedia of the occult, collections of quotations, riddles, tongue twisters, a word list for use with Scrabble, the Skeptic's Dictionary, two thesauruses (thesauri?), top 10 lists, trivia lists, the U. S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence, and timelines of U. S. history, world history, hominid evolution, and of life on earth.

And PPC related programs on my WinXP PC include:
DropBook
DocReader
eReader for Windows
iSilo
Plucker Desktop
and Pocket DivX Encoder
rockyabq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
brewt
Boo-Frickety-Hoo-Erizer
brewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enoughbrewt will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD!
Alas, my old and faithful Toshiba E740 finally gave up the ghost. Screen went dark, and was un-resurrectable.

After moping around for a month, I finally found something in Ebay: An HP Ipaq E4705. Runs WM5, high-res screen, dual card slots (just like the tosh!) and better wifi, bluetooth, and a 624mHz processor. $225.

Compared to the Dell Axim x51V, this was a good alternative - the specs are comparable, and the HP was going for less than the Dell on ebay (at least, during the weeks I watched for it).

Sure, they promised it was "new" and it really wasn't quite. There was a boat-load of stuff taking up protected storage space (which I ran out of quickly), and I had to flash the bios to get an old-fashioned hard reset to happen, but I've been generally very happy with it.

And yes, the full VGA screen is worth it.

So I'm restarting over with what to put on such a box - so far I've got:
Isilo 5
Mobipocket
E-sword
Nethack
And I'm still deciding between Superdoku and SkinzSudoku.

As I think about it some more, I'll probably put on Midnote, Microsoft Reader, and maybe the Amiga emulator.

-bjc
brewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Great List. I have an ACER N311.... I will not list mine as they are not as extensive as the above mentioned posts. Suffice to say that I am glad I am not the only PPC reader of ebooks on this site.

Regards,

hidari

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
I just installed the newest version of eReader (3.0.3) and I have a big gripe. They've taken all icons off the bottom menu bar. All t
DropBook
DocReader
eReader for Windows
iSilo
Plucker Desktop
and Pocket DivX Encoder
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #14
electristan
newbie reader
electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.electristan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: reMarkable, Boox T68, Kobo Mini, Nook STR, Sony PRS-505
i love lists like this. i have, on my Palm Treo 750:

iSkoot - for my skype needs
HTC X-Button - so apps close instead of minimize
Picsel Browser - for photos and images
Pocket Quicken 2.5 - as i suck at handeling money
Resco Explorer and Reg edit - must have
Sprite Backup - for ramdom crashes
and
Pocket Informant 2007 - for calender stuff
electristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
mp998
mp998 began at the beginning.

Device: toshiba e350/mobipocket
Angry question

i have a question for those who have spb pocket plus and pocketsnes because i have both of these installed pocketSNES first so i know it worked without spb pocket plus and when i installed it it made it so that pocketSNES won't read the roms

never mind i figured it out but just in case anybody else also has problems here is what to do go to settings-->system-->spb pocket plus-->then scroll down and de-select file open/saving dialog

other than that i have the following apps
spb pocket plus=today plug-in
mobipocket=ebook reader
abisoft winCE paint

and the following media
styletap= play palm os games
pocketSNES+some roms-mario and ff3
wondows media player=music and movie only reason stated was because i have to movies

that is all i know i don't have very much but 2 movies can take up alot of space

Last edited by mp998; 06-07-2008 at 11:26 PM.
mp998 is offline   Reply With Quote