Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #31
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Thanks Caleb72 and Spindlegirl. I had of course, already googled it by now and quickly got the answer. Google couldn't help with the last question very much though...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
For me, it was "The Tommyknockers."

A flushing toilet has more action.
Yep. I think this was written at the height of his substance abuse. It shows.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #33
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I've read 'em all and The Dark Half and Blockade Billy are my least favorites.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
MichaelJScott
Zealot
MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelJScott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I almost agree with Tommyknockers, with Dolores Claibourne (sp?) running a distant third (the frickin' book has no chapters! It's just one long narrative).

But Cujo is the only one I've ever put down and walked away from. Something about his characterization of the people just annoyed the snot out of me.
MichaelJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #35
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I don't read anything new by Stephen King, really. I attempted Lisey's Story and Under the Dome and I found them both alarmingly bad. I read Duma Key and it was so-so.

Stephen King in the 70s and 80s, I can do. I like It, The Stand, The Shining, Carrie, Skeleton Crew, 'Salem's Lot, etc. But know what you're getting into. It's not going to be classy literature.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #36
raychensmith
raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.raychensmith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Actually, I feel when Stephen King had his drug problem, some of his books were BETTER. When he started entering middle age, he became more serious and more of a navel-gazer. His plot-driven stories sort of petered out. I'm glad he came back with a vengeance with 11/22/63.
raychensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:29 AM   #37
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I enjoyed quite a few Stephen King novels, but didn't get along too well with CUJO.
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
King is currently working on a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep with a grown-up Danny Torrance. Does anyone think this is a good idea?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #39
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
King is currently working on a sequel to The Shining called Doctor Sleep with a grown-up Danny Torrance. Does anyone think this is a good idea?
that sounds like a very bad idea.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #40
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Agree with Applesauce. Don't do it Stephen!
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #41
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
It seems to me that Stephen King is more of a story-teller than a writer, if that makes any sense. I think that when he sets to tell a story, he does it very well and it is very enjoyable to read most of the time.
Not entirely sure exactly what you mean by that, but I agree that he is a great story teller. He's the only author that in one book I can be absolutely enthralled and I spend my time thinking he's the greatest story-teller ever, but another of his books I can read and just not enjoy at all.

I should add, I'm not a horror fan, and the Dark Tower series (I only ever read the first four) are the only fantasy books I've ever read and enjoyed. I tend to read mostly thrillers, but still find King is the only author that can truly wrap me up and lose me in a tale.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Agree with Applesauce. Don't do it Stephen!
Too late. It's been done for a while; comes out next year.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 PM   #43
stop__dreaming
Addict
stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stop__dreaming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Uh-oh.
stop__dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:41 PM   #44
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Dreamcatcher is his worst. If you disagree then you either have not read it, or you are clinically insane.

If you don't like The Stand then you either don't like doorstops in general, or you don't like Stephen King (I'm not saying that it is a masterpiece but it one of his best novels).

I think that alot of his novels are hit and miss. My personal opinion is that his 70s novels are very good, his 80s novels are good, his 90s novels are okay, and then it kept going downhill until we reach Dreamcatcher, which was far beneath him, far beneath all published horror writers. And even beneath indie published authors that can't be bothered to even hire an editor. But then after Dreamcatcher King got better and better. I don't think that his recent novels are on par with his 70s output, but I think they are on par with his 80s output. Note: I have not finished the Dark Tower series yet.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #45
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Between this thread and the other recent King thread, I'm discovering there is no consensus whatsoever on King's work. Some of my favorites (granted, from adolescence) have been mentioned as "worsts," including It, The Tommyknockers and The Stand. It would be hard for more recent books to outshine those ones (and The Drawing of the Three, Wastelands, and The Talisman) just because of the time of my life when I read them. You can't deny there's truth in the deconstructionist stance that a reading is an event, and a lot of influences other than the text factor into the impression that ends up in the reader's mind. I suspect there's a bit of a "Golden Age" effect at work in the way a lot of people elevate King's '70s/'80s novels.

Anyway, to the OP's question I'm with the others who singled out Dreamcatcher. Some King novels have left me scratching my head, not sure if I liked them (Insomnia, Rose Madder, Gerald's Game) but still thinking about them when I was done, and others have left me with the "Yeah, that was okay" feeling of a half-decent action flick or old pulp sci-fi novel (Cell, Under the Dome). With Dreamcatcher I'm not sure I even could have told you what it was about or named one of the characters a week later, at least until after I saw the movie. The movie was more coherent than the book, but still only achieved so-bad-it's-kind-of-good status.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote