Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Which makes it even less likely that a PBH is hacking websites to remove this story?
If I were prone to believing in conspiracy-esque hacking ventures, I'd assume the agency under discussion had arranged the hack, not any BPH.

When her website went down, I assumed that was random hacker-drama. It happens, sometimes, and when it does, it's always assumed to be related to the blogger's most recent controversial post. Shrug.

Hearing that her *second* site went down--a fairly obscure one--had me rethinking.

Still, based on that alone, I wouldn't assume corporate malice rather than a grudge from some specific person in her past. But I hope she does have the resources to investigate properly, because she's taking a risk in coming forward to say "a major agency is colluding with a publisher to scam authors out of their royalties"--especially since she's previously said "publishers are ripping off authors of their royalties."

The combination here tells me that authors who don't sign the new amendment need to carefully examine their future royalty statements to discover if the publisher decided to treat them as if they'd signed, counting on the fact that very few could afford an audit to get the details.

Since the author guilds etc. don't seem to be doing anything, I hope a pack of individual authors get together to file a class action suit, with the goal not of "getting back payment of proper royalties," (easily dodged by admitting that records might not exist) but of reclaiming their copyrights so they can either renegotiate contracts from a position of knowledge and strength, or set off into self-publishing.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
If I were prone to believing in conspiracy-esque hacking ventures, I'd assume the agency under discussion had arranged the hack, not any BPH.

When her website went down, I assumed that was random hacker-drama. It happens, sometimes, and when it does, it's always assumed to be related to the blogger's most recent controversial post. Shrug.

Hearing that her *second* site went down--a fairly obscure one--had me rethinking.

Still, based on that alone, I wouldn't assume corporate malice rather than a grudge from some specific person in her past. But I hope she does have the resources to investigate properly, because she's taking a risk in coming forward to say "a major agency is colluding with a publisher to scam authors out of their royalties"--especially since she's previously said "publishers are ripping off authors of their royalties."

The combination here tells me that authors who don't sign the new amendment need to carefully examine their future royalty statements to discover if the publisher decided to treat them as if they'd signed, counting on the fact that very few could afford an audit to get the details.

Since the author guilds etc. don't seem to be doing anything, I hope a pack of individual authors get together to file a class action suit, with the goal not of "getting back payment of proper royalties," (easily dodged by admitting that records might not exist) but of reclaiming their copyrights so they can either renegotiate contracts from a position of knowledge and strength, or set off into self-publishing.
Agreed, nothing will change without a class action lawsuit and LOTS of negative publicity aimed at the BPHs! I think it is only a matter of time before enough of the midlist writers and maybe even a known name or two do precisely this.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert