Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
Grendel Rex
Grendel Rex began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ereader batteries?

Are all readers like Ipods and only come with built in batteries that only the manufacturer can replace? I love my Ipod but I really hate that feature about them, I'd like to avoid it but I have not seen anything mentioned about what type of batteries an ereader uses in any review so I'm assuming you can't just replace it yourself?
Grendel Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Don't know about all, but the Kindle and Sonys I own are not user replacable. The thinking is that when the battery dies you'll want a new E-Reader anyway.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 02:14 AM   #3
BWinmill
Nameless Being

The Kobo Vox battery is easy enough to access without tools and without damaging the case. The Kobo Touch and Kindle 2 are also replaceable without special tools, but most people would damage the case when trying to enter it. Now where to find those batteries is an open question.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
E-Readers from the "small" brands like Pocketbook, Cybook, Onyx, Bebook, most Hanlin clones come with user replacable batteries.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
There used to be a video on utube fror the 650, but don't know if still there....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Ectaco's Jetbook Lite uses four AA batteries; I use the rechargeable kind.
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
The original nook I know has a user replaceable battery. I am not sure about the newer ones though.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Most of them are user replaceable if you take the time to Google a teardown video. The only one that I know is not replaceable is the non-Touch K4. For some reason the battery is glued on..
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
The Kindle 1 has a user replaceable battery.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Whether or not the battery is user-replaceable depends upon who the user is. It is possible to replace it, it just gets tricky. I've replaced the battery in an iPod, which wasn't considered user replaceable. It is a matter of your skills and how much you want to bother with it.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
Whether or not the battery is user-replaceable depends upon who the user is. It is possible to replace it, it just gets tricky. I've replaced the battery in an iPod, which wasn't considered user replaceable. It is a matter of your skills and how much you want to bother with it.
Not always. The battery in a Kindle Non-Touch CANNOT be replaced - not by anyone. It's glued in, and you can't remove the battery without destroying the device. If you believe that you know better, a lot of people would, I'm sure, love to see you demonstrate this .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
dragon77
dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.dragon77 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Touch
Most e-ink devices can last 2-4 weeks on a single charge with regular usage, and most rechargable lithium ion batteries can undergo at least a few hundred charge cycles before their capacity lowers significantly (even then, still about 80% of the original maximum).

In other words, with a healthy battery to start with, it should be many, many years before it should actually need to be replaced, so you'll probably need or want to replace your e-reader for other reasons before the battery becomes an issue.
dragon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon77 View Post
In other words, with a healthy battery to start with, it should be many, many years before it should actually need to be replaced, so you'll probably need or want to replace your e-reader for other reasons before the battery becomes an issue.
Indeed. My iPhone2 is nearly 3 years old. Heavily used at times, recharged each evening. I see no obvious downgrade in the battery.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not always. The battery in a Kindle Non-Touch CANNOT be replaced - not by anyone. It's glued in, and you can't remove the battery without destroying the device. If you believe that you know better, a lot of people would, I'm sure, love to see you demonstrate this .
Correct, but thankfully that seems to be more the exception than the rule, still.

The distinction more often is is the battery INTENDED to be user replaceable.
I have replaced the battery in my iPod Video, with tools and vids I found only. It took about 10 minutes, and cost under $10, but I can see how a non-technical person should rightly be wary of destroying the device while doing so.

By the way, over the past few weeks, I noticed my just-over-a-year-old Kindle failing to hold a charge for more than a few days.
Rather than running right to Youtube and eBay as I did with my iPod, I called Kindle customer service, and two days later I had a replacement device in my hands at no cost, so the lack of an easily replaceable battery really hasn't adversely affected me yet (and has made me all the more impressed with Amazon).

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #15
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Point taken, however, I never said that all batteries that were not intended to be user replaceable were in fact replaceable, nor did I say that I myself could replace every battery in every e-reader. Of course, if anyone really wanted to prove it could be done, I suppose someone could replace the battery in the non-touch Kindle. The difficulty simply makes it not worthwhile.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote