Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Simple ePub Reading Software

I decided to try ePub before, and while I saw that it was a great format, I've been unable to make serious use of it because every program I've found that can open it has been unsuitable to my purposes. FBReader and the Firefox EPUBReader Add-On came closest, but they both had a pretty big flaw... I found their automatic library building incredibly annoying, and knew of no way to disable it. Is there any reading software similar to the above, but which merely opens books upon command rather than try to automagically add files to a library?

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 10.04.1 Lucid Lynx LTS, though if somebody also had an Android recommendation I would appreciate it.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #2
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Have you tried Calibre? Or the Sony Reader software? I don't know if it will do what you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
I decided to try ePub before, and while I saw that it was a great format, I've been unable to make serious use of it because every program I've found that can open it has been unsuitable to my purposes. FBReader and the Firefox EPUBReader Add-On came closest, but they both had a pretty big flaw... I found their automatic library building incredibly annoying, and knew of no way to disable it. Is there any reading software similar to the above, but which merely opens books upon command rather than try to automagically add files to a library?

I'm using Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 10.04.1 Lucid Lynx LTS, though if somebody also had an Android recommendation I would appreciate it.
I have FBReader and the Firefox EPUB reader up under Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu Linux 10.10. I don't see the problems you mention, because I don't let them build libraries. There is no requirement to add a file to the application's library to open and read it.

In Firefox, I simply navigate to the ePub file and open it. (I could theoretically make bookmarks of them, and get to them that way.) FBReader is associated with various file types as the default application for opening the file, so I can simply double-click the file in Windows Explorer or whatever file manager I'm in on Linux and FBReader is invoked to read it.

I use a folder structure to categorize and classify ebooks, and don't want the viewer to perform library functions.

The big win in FBReader for me is the ability to read Plucker files, since I have about 3,800 of those, and FBReader lets me read them in Windows and Linux as well as on my Palm OS PDA.

You might look at FBReaderJ for Android. It's a rewrite of FBReader in Java. It doesn't support all of the formats FBReader does - right now it does OEB, ePub, and FB2, with future plans to expand the offerings to those supported by FBReader - but since you mainly want to read ePub this should work for you.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Lucidor, available in Firefox add-on (not compatible with ePubReader; you'll have to choose one or the other) and standalone (less buggy, features work better) cross-platform versions.

Doesn't do that auto-add thing that ePubReader does where it copies a copy of every ePub you open into your Firefox profile folder, though Lucidor does pop up a "do you want to add this to your bookshelf" notice when you drag a random ePub over to it. But that's easily ignored. And I think you might be able to select a preference to make it stop asking that.

Also, you can point it to sets of folders on your computer or a homebrew OPDS catalogue in case you do want a library function out of it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Thanks for the Lucidor recommendation! I didn't much like the cross-platform version, but it works great as a Firefox add-on. I also tried installing both FBReaderJ and Moon+ reader, and I thought the later was awesome so I'm gonna keep it as my Android ePub reading solution. With that, I think my problems are solved, so thank you very much MobileRead Forums.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #6
Wingman4l7
Thinks Before He Posts
Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.Wingman4l7 has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Mini
Another option is Sumatra PDF, the portable version. It is a standalone executable that can read ePUBs.
Wingman4l7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
shevirsy
Banned
shevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the endshevirsy knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3
Sumatra is a quite good solution. And it works well on Linux too with the help of Wine. I have met a few cases where Sumatra was showing up the letters overlapping. A formatting problem most probably. And in this case you can use the reader from Calibre. Which is quite slow to start.
shevirsy is offline   Reply With Quote