Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Amazon deleting files

Are any Kindle owners concerned about Amazon's tendency to delete ebooks you bought from them from your Kindle? I don't own a kindle but I am concerned about others deleting items from my hard drive as illustrated by Amazon.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Never had that happen.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
It happened once a year or so ago when someone put George Orwell's books for sale on Amazon but that person didn't have the rights to do so (at least not in the US). Amazon made the poor decision that the best thing to do would be to delete the book from purchaser's kindles and refund the money. After a major backlash and media attention, Amazon admitted they made a mistake, promised to never do it again, and gave the people affected a $30 Amazon gift card (in addition to the refund of the book price).

The only other situation is if you buy an ebook and then ask for a refund, Amazon will delete the book from your kindle (some people say this isn't true, that Amazon deletes it from your online archive and so the next time you turn on whispernet the book goes away. This seems like the same thing - it's just mincing words). I certainly think that's fair - you asked for a refund and amazon gave it to you. They want the book back.
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
The only other situation is if you buy an ebook and then ask for a refund, Amazon will delete the book from your kindle (some people say this isn't true, that Amazon deletes it from your online archive and so the next time you turn on whispernet the book goes away. This seems like the same thing - it's just mincing words). I certainly think that's fair - you asked for a refund and amazon gave it to you. They want the book back.
Actually it is not mincing words. Amazon cannot reach into your Kindles harddrive and remove documents. This means that Amazon cannot remove a PDF you sideloaded or a copy of a book you purchased from another publisher or a copy of a book where you have stripped the DRM.

Amazon can only remove material that you have purchased from them, that they are storing for you on their servers. That is a huge difference. In the 1984 case, there were people who had downloaded the book onto their personal computer. When Amazon deleted the book from the users archive, many of these folks put the copy that they had stored on their computer back onto their Kindle. They did not lose that copy of 1984.

Amazon did not delete anything from peoples hard drive. They deleted a book from peoples archives that were stored on Amazons servers. People who had saved a copy of 1984 to their individual harddrives were able to reload the book to their Kindle and it stayed there, even the pnes who had not stripped the DRM.

This is why the lesson from 1984 for many folks was to download a copy of the book to your computer so that you always have a copy to sideload just incase Amazon, or any other compay, stupidly removes books from the archives. Some folks say that the real lesson was to strip the DRM immediatly.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
wscott
wscott is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
No, not concerned. Your post is spreading FUD.
Read the many articles about 1984, amazon's apology, and how
they handled the more recent cases.

An example:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010...egal-book.html
wscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Amazon can look into your Kindle from a huge distance. Once I telephoned them from overseas and ' Bill from Amazon' asked me; may I look into your Kindle? I said yes, but didn't know what he could see, nor inquired. Never worried about it. Though I felt a bit weird.

edit: weird, like they asked to go through my cupboards, but never distrust entered my mind.

I have a recent backup of the content of my Kindle on the PC and on an external disk, so my books are always secure.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-03-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: claryfication
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Are any Kindle owners concerned about Amazon's tendency to delete ebooks you bought from them from your Kindle? I don't own a kindle but I am concerned about others deleting items from my hard drive as illustrated by Amazon.
One occurance is not a tendency. And the Kindle doesn't have a hard drive.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
jbcohen has some kind of grudge against the Kindle which is evident from his/her posting history and seems to be looking for opportunities to bash the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
jbcohen: "Are any Kindle owners concerned about Amazon's tendency to delete ebooks you bought from them from your Kindle? I don't own a kindle but I am concerned about others deleting items from my hard drive as illustrated by Amazon."

No, but your tendency to slander without cause or evidence is concerning. Would you care to defend your statement or just slink off?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
If Amazon would meet my price, $100 I would happily buy it, would be a darn site better then the Aluratek I have now.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #11
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
One occurance is not a tendency. And the Kindle doesn't have a hard drive.
It has "something," though. I recently sent them an email after I'd had an episode of page slow-down while running the beta 3.03 software, as per their requrest for feedback on the beta. I had a call from one of their techs the other day asking me to keep my wireless on for 2-3 days so they could download information from my Kindle to see if they could determine what was causing the slow-down. Had another call yesterday from a different tech asking if I'd had any further problems (which I hadn't) and asking me to report when/if I did. I haven't checked, but I doubt that they removed any of my books!

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Amazon have never deleted any files from anyone's hard drive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Amazon does seem to be acting more responsibly when it comes to establishing publishers' rights to a book offered for sale. We put up eighty titles from our catalogue last month and they spot-checked four of them asking us to fax or email the author contracts and other paperwork establishing our digital rights (one the release of ebook rights to us from a major publisher who had only contracted with the author for print and that still has the hardback and paperback version running at Amazon). We were happy to cover that little extra job purely and simply because it meant they were taking more care than they must have before the 1984 fiasco. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
It has "something," though. I recently sent them an email after I'd had an episode of page slow-down while running the beta 3.03 software, as per their requrest for feedback on the beta. I had a call from one of their techs the other day asking me to keep my wireless on for 2-3 days so they could download information from my Kindle to see if they could determine what was causing the slow-down.
They can request the diagnostic logs from a specific Kindle. The logs help them determine what exactly is going on and how to fix it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #15
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I'm not concerned at all. Sounds like you have a problem.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote