Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Dime novels?

The bezel is less than 2cm (approx. 1,7cm) wide. I've never seen a book (except for encyclopedia etc.) with narrower margins.
Don't forget to add in the margins on the screen.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #32
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
What works for you doesn't automatically work for the rest of the world.
I think this is what everyone else has been saying for months to YOU, Tube.

(Pun not intended, but pretty happy with its sudden appearance, anyway, )
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I think this is what everyone else has been saying for months to YOU, Tube.

(Pun not intended, but pretty happy with its sudden appearance, anyway, )
But you don't see me criticizing others for their likes and dislikes.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #34
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
But you don't see me criticizing others for their likes and dislikes.
Perhaps YOU don't see it as criticism -- you just keep telling people they are wrong because their likes coincide with your dislikes.

On the other hand, I don't see where someone saying they don't understand something ("I don't get it") is a criticism in any form.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:49 AM   #35
luvmy4brats
Connoisseur
luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.luvmy4brats solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
If I don't get a Nook, I most certainly won't get a Kindle. It can do library books. I'll either get a Kobo or an old Sony.

It can with some drm removal software and a run through calibre to convert..wham instant library access on Kindle. Just delete them when your 7, 14, or 21 days is up. It literally takes about two minutes to do.
luvmy4brats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #36
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
Perhaps YOU don't see it as criticism -- you just keep telling people they are wrong because their likes coincide with your dislikes.

On the other hand, I don't see where someone saying they don't understand something ("I don't get it") is a criticism in any form.
Yes.

I'll quote you, tubemonkey.

Quote:
Two reasons why Kindle 3 is better than Nook:

1- battery life
2- black body

You didn't say "I prefer a black bezel". You said "Kindle 3 is better".

I agree with eGeezer.

For comparison, I just compared my Nook against the margins on Robert Silverberg's Legends anthology (big paperback barely bigger than the Nook). The margins are almost exactly the same size at the Nook's bezel.

All the guesses of fancy tech like Mirasol are probably just pipe dreams. This will probably be just an Android tablet-style Nook. That said, there's not much in the way of decent/affordable Android tablets right now, so it could have some success there.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 10-25-2010 at 02:34 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #37
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
I have both Nook and Kindle DXG. To me the one area that Nook scores the highest over my Kindle DXG is the auto PDF text reflow. To me, it is a big deal. Kindle DXG displays PDF file in full page (fit to page) or in a zoomed view over certain area of the page. Zooming and Panning line after line is kinda painful, that's why for certain PDF document, I prefer to read them on Nook.

Last edited by rty; 10-25-2010 at 03:01 AM.
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #38
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

All the guesses of fancy tech like Mirasol are probably just pipe dreams. This will probably be just an Android tablet-style Nook. That said, there's not much in the way of decent/affordable Android tablets right now, so it could have some success there.

The rumored price point and the screen protector product link leak for it sure seem to lean towards it being an lcd based device. I sure hope not though, as they already have the nook apps that people that want that can install. People that want that can also just buy the Pandigital Novel. A better screen for long reading sessions to me is the hallmark of an ereader. If they come out with another lcd device it will just show to me they have no idea about what the product should even be offering as its primary features.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #39
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I just keep thinking it can't be another Pandigital novel type device, because no matter how they spin it they wouldn't be sprinting ahead of Amazon, they'd be chasing after Borders (and their Cruz reader).

If it's LCD, it better have some great specs, solid build, and nice features.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 PM   #40
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
I just keep thinking it can't be another Pandigital novel type device, because no matter how they spin it they wouldn't be sprinting ahead of Amazon, they'd be chasing after Borders (and their Cruz reader).

If it's LCD, it better have some great specs, solid build, and nice features.

even if it is traditional LCD, I think we can at least be pleased that this is not replacing the orginal Nook, which is getting a juicy software update v1.5 in November. For that I am very excited.

This will be just an addition/expansion of it's product line. It will fill a void. We see alot of people on this forum asking what to get. LCD tech does provide more advanced capabilities than what eink has to offer in this point in time. It'll have a appeal for comic book readers, Children's book, magazines and newpapers, Magna and other Graphic Novels, true PDF capabilites.

While I won't have much interest in it for long term reading of my books (unless of course it's Mirasol, then I would be very very excited) I still EXTREMELY happy we continue to get updates on the original Nook. And i welcome the addition to the Nook family.

There seem to pushing forward with the ebook and their nook product full steam ahead.

Great update coming soon v1.5 for the original Nook and Nook wi fi
Expanded it's physical store to Walmart, the worlds largest retail department store.
Introducion of NookKids which I think is fantastic
and of course the Color Nook.

Good for BN.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote