Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Is there a way to remove text from Title with regex

I'm looking at around 2300 titles with the series in brackets (series info).

I would like to know if there is a way to remove text from the title using regex
something like
([A-Za-z0-9]+)

It would be faster lol.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
What does it look like? A sample would help.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Yes, it is possible to remove brackets from titles, using regexp.

I would suggest that you remove all series information from the titles, and store it in the fields intended for that purpose. That can be done using bulk metadata search and replace with regexp as well.

It is bad to store series information in the title, you will most likely change your mind about formatting and want to change it in the future. Metadata lookup may fail, because the title has extra information. Also it becomes difficult to update if you have the series information stored both in the intended fields and the title, and plug-ins that are used to manipulate series information most likely don't handle the title.

If you want the series information in the title or the filename on the device, then you can use a plugboard and/or a save template to add that "on the fly".
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:34 PM   #4
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lol the title and tag fields are horrid in these books. The title including thing like
title text of actual title (series info):A Novel (language info)
The tags are even worse lol. Why put the series info in the tag argh not to mention how many ways do they need to string together tags. I try to cleanup tags but every time I add books I get a ton of horrid tags... really bad. How many ways can you tag a novel that is Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Fiction, Detective etc.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
Lol the title and tag fields are horrid in these books. The title including thing like
title text of actual title (series info):A Novel (language info)
The tags are even worse lol. Why put the series info in the tag argh not to mention how many ways do they need to string together tags. I try to cleanup tags but every time I add books I get a ton of horrid tags... really bad. How many ways can you tag a novel that is Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Fiction, Detective etc.
Hah, I just ignore tags altogether. And I fix up the series + title as I import books; it's much more manageable that way.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 AM   #6
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Hah, I just ignore tags altogether. And I fix up the series + title as I import books; it's much more manageable that way.
I use tags to find a book in the same "genre" or with the same "feel" to read. It helps when finding a book for someone else in the household to read.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I use tags to find a book in the same "genre" or with the same "feel" to read. It helps when finding a book for someone else in the household to read.
I do use tags, some of them, but only ones I specifically add. And I add them as I get them, so it remains manageable -- possibly because I started this way from the beginning.

I don't like conforming to someone else's fool idea of what kind of ridiculous tags to put on most books.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I do use tags, some of them, but only ones I specifically add. And I add them as I get them, so it remains manageable -- possibly because I started this way from the beginning.

I don't like conforming to someone else's fool idea of what kind of ridiculous tags to put on most books.
(Lately) The publishers seem to be the worst. Every possible keyword that can be applied to the book, however thin the relevance
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:12 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
(Lately) The publishers seem to be the worst. Every possible keyword that can be applied to the book, however thin the relevance
keywords I have recently deleted include "book" "ebook" and what seems to be their all-time favorite: "FIC0000".