Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #901
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Hisense $150 Chromebook at Walmart

http://www.cnet.com/products/hisense-chromebook/

"The $150 Hisense Chromebook is a Walmart exclusive that lives up that inexpensive, nigh-disposable ethos Google seemed to be targeting when Chrome OS was first pitched. Low prices come at a cost though, usually in terms of build quality, performance, battery life or all three. And this little tyke isn't about to flip that script: it includes a meager display, an off-brand CPU, and a dull plastic body.

But the Hisense costs only $150 (that converts to £103, or AU$195) . That makes it one of the cheapest Chromebooks we've seen to date -- most models start at around $250..."

Pretty fair battery life - over 6 hours
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #902
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
My Chromebook is getting a bit old; if I open it all the way, the screen shuts off, and the spacebar is not always working right. I may get a new one at Christmas, and if do I, I'll want one a bit faster.

I've also been thinking about a Chromebox. My wife uses the downstairs computer, and if I put in a Chromebox, I wouldn't have to fuss with the computer so much. I could always have a for the monitor so we could switch back and forth between the Chromebox and the Windows PC, but I think that we could stay on the Chromebox most of the time. Just need to get one that can play all of the Facebook games. :-)
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 AM   #903
David Fitz
David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Fitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
When the desktop finally fails, I will just get a "wireless" printer. They are very inexpensive these days.
You can print from wired printers with your chromebook if you're prepared to put it in developer mode, which really isn't a big deal. Install ubuntu through crouton and you can print with CUPS. I have got to the point where I don't even enter the desktop environment of ubuntu: you can print with a couple of commands within chrome os. If you don't want to use ubuntu, you could just install it as command line only, which is much less space and print from the command line.

I'd be happy to include some more info if anyone wants it.
David Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #904
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fitz View Post
You can print from wired printers with your chromebook if you're prepared to put it in developer mode, which really isn't a big deal. Install ubuntu through crouton and you can print with CUPS. I have got to the point where I don't even enter the desktop environment of ubuntu: you can print with a couple of commands within chrome os. If you don't want to use ubuntu, you could just install it as command line only, which is much less space and print from the command line.

I'd be happy to include some more info if anyone wants it.
Sounds good. What do we lose in developer mode?
Old 04-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #905
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
It isn't as secure.

Stock ChromeOS has verified boot, so it cannot be tampered with. Enabling developer mode allows you to modify the system... with the proviso that so can anyone else.

Then again, if you didn't have a Chromebook you wouldn't have verified boot anyway, and how often was your previous computer tampered with... so it isn't all that much of a loss IMO.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 03:50 PM   #906
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
This is for my mom, 300 miles away, so I'm definitely not looking for solutions that aren't off-the-shelf. Thanks, though. Her current printer doesn't support Cloud Print anyway, so that's another strike against the idea.
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:21 PM   #907
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
Something to share with those who like their Chromebooks ......I really like my All-in-one LG Chromebase which is like a "Desktop" All-In-One (monitor, computer, keyboard, mouse) except that it is limited to the Chrome OS.

One of the best things about this system is that the monitor has an HDMI port where you can connect a PC; thus you can switch back and forth between the Chromebox system and your old PC - having the best of both systems at the press of a button. 4 USB ports.

It was $319 on Amazon which I think is a good deal for an all-in-one, also considering that you can integrate your current system and lose nothing. The screen is bright and much nicer than you would expect. I plugged in my old PC (a 7-yr-old Dell) and it works fine. Setup was a breeze. Fast boot-up.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #908
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
I bought my mom a Chromebook Pixel and everything is so much better now

We were off to the races. It's a month later and she loves the thing. It's not fighting her, or asking her to learn anything new, or foisting complicated new products on her. There are no apps to update, and no new versions of the OS to install every year. It's just Chrome, doing its thing. And because it's still a thousand-dollar laptop, it's incredibly fast.

So now my mom has a computer that doesn't ever ask her to update software or try to kick her into other apps (and other user interface patterns) and away from the web. She has access to all of her Google accounts (of course) and she has access to all of her Apple stuff in a way that actually tracks much more closely to her experience on iOS.
Quote:
The thousand dollars I spent on a Pixel didn't buy my mom crazy extensibility, or the ability to run powerful apps like Photoshop or Excel. It didn't even buy her that much storage. But it did buy her a beautiful, well-designed product. And most importantly, it bought her focus, and the ability to spend her time using her computer instead of trying to learn how to use it.

That's a lesson I think Steve Jobs would have liked very much.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/1/108...the-divergence
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #909
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
From what I read, it seems Google is backing away from ChromeOS in favor of Android after all. Which certainly makes ChromeOS Chromebooks seem less attractive, at least to me.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:48 PM   #910
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
From what I read, it seems Google is backing away from ChromeOS in favor of Android after all. Which certainly makes ChromeOS Chromebooks seem less attractive, at least to me.
I am not sure they are ending chrome OS but you will be able to run Android apps on chrome os.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #911
frahse
occasional author

I am still using my wife's Chromebook. It was too limited for her social media, and Church work so she passed it on.

I also have my old 1998 Dell Desktop which I use for a printer server, router server and a Portfolio formatter.

I have not yet found a way to print directly from the Chromebook BUT I have found a number of ways to download from Youtube though, bypassing Google's interference scheme.

I must be doing ok because I haven't taken the time to put a replacement hard drive in the super Toshiba I had for work or to select a used Dell Optiiplex tower for my Dell system.

Last edited by frahse; 02-14-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #912
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
This was promptly denied by Google. It seems to have been one of those escalating myth events for which the Internet is renowned.

http://googleforwork.blogspot.co.uk/...e-to-stay.html

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote