Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-07-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Lightbulb Call for testers with a Mark 7 device

To make a long story short: those devices expose a slightly tweaked interface to talk with the eInk controller, and I'd like to make sure we're doing it right in KOReader.

Right now, since no-one has come at us with pitchforks, current FW appear to still handle the older interface, but this may not hold true forever (although, given Kobo's track record, I doubt it will actually change, but, no matter).

The code is already written, it's just disabled until I have more details to make sure it's correct. That's where you come in!

You basically just need shell access to your device (be it telnet or SSH) *under Nickel*.

You don't necessarily need a deep understanding of the *nix CLI, but, of course, that's always a plus .

If that's you, the gory details are explained in the relevant KOReader issue.

Thanks!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:48 PM   #2
Python Master
Python Master began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
What is a Mark 7 device?
Python Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As of this moment, that's the H2O² r2, Aura SE r2 & Clara HD.

(c.f., https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases & https://geek1011.github.io/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html)

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-07-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
zavorra
zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Reckless owner of a Clara HD here!

I have enough knowledge of linux, but I am completely new to kobo hacking/modding/whatever

So we could make an agreement, if you teach me how to enable sftp or scp and ssh I will help you testing KOReader

Z
zavorra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@zavorra: Well, I can steer your towards my own package for that (among other things ;D).

As usual, it's simply a KoboRoot.tgz to drop in the .kobo folder.
Once it finishes rebooting, it's as simple as ssh root@<kobo IP>. In case you have no easy means of figuring out the IP of wireless devices on your network, the Kobo itself will display it in the Settings > Device Information page .
Advert
Old 07-11-2018, 12:20 AM   #6
zavorra
zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.zavorra knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

great! It's working, and we have python too!

Now, I should be able help with KOReader. What to do?

EDIT: ok, I found your github issue and just sent you the log there. Let me know if I can help some more.

Last edited by zavorra; 07-11-2018 at 04:30 AM.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@zavorra: I'll have an FBInk build to test in a few hours, but other than that, I should be able to manage, given that it appears to behave much like a Kindle Oasis 2, and we already did the 'back and forth' testing round on that one .

Many, many thanks .
Old 07-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@zavorra: Updated FBInk, there

And a quick test to check how it behaves:

Code:
strace -fitv -e trace=ioctl /usr/local/fbink/bin/fbink -mp -y -5 "Hello World"
Thanks!

(The next step will be KOReader, but that may take a few days ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 07-13-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Fixed path for the standalone FBInk package -_-"
Old 07-13-2018, 02:44 AM   #9
zavorra

I can confirm it is working on Aura. This is the strace log:

Z

Spoiler:

[root@(none) ~]# strace -fitv -e trace=ioctl /usr/local/fbink/bin/fbink -mp -y -5 "Helo World"
08:35:52 [76eeb1f6] ioctl(3, FBIOGET_VSCREENINFO, 0x76f720c8) = 0
[FBInk] Variable fb info: 1072x1448, 32bpp @ rotation: 3 (Counter Clockwise, 270°)
[FBInk] Fontsize set to 32x32.
[FBInk] Line length: 33 cols, Page size: 45 rows.
08:35:52 [76eeb1f6] ioctl(3, FBIOGET_FSCREENINFO, 0x76f72168) = 0
[FBInk] Fixed fb info: ID is "mxc_epdc_fb", length of fb mem: 6782976 bytes & line length: 4352 bytes
[FBInk] Enabled Kobo Mark 7 quirks
[FBInk] Kernel's HZ value appears to be 100
Printing string 'Helo World' @ column 0, row -5 (inverted: false, flashing: false, centered: true, left padded: true, clear screen: false, font scaling: x0)
08:35:52 [76eeb1f6] ioctl(3, MXCFB_SEND_UPDATE, {update_region={top=1280, left=0, width=1072, height=32}, waveform_mode=WAVEFORM_MODE_AUTO, update_mode=UPDATE_MODE_PARTIAL, update_marker=1427, temp=TEMP_USE_AMBIENT, flags=0, dither_mode=EPDC_FLAG_USE_DITHERING_PASSTHROUGH, quant_bit=0, alt_buffer_data={phys_addr=0, width=0, height=0, alt_update_region={top=0, left=0, width=0, height=0}}}, 0x7ea8a7c0) = 0
08:35:52 [????????] +++ exited with 0 +++
[root@(none) ~]#
Old 07-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@zavorra: Fantastic, thank you .