Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 08-03-2017, 08:01 PM   #196
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I have to give a plug for swimming, an activity that is simultaneously very enjoyable and very boring. Audiobooks transform swimming into sheer joy.
Amen! It can take a bit to find the right hardware (especially earbuds) for _you_, but once you do, it transforms swimming into something to look forward to.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 AM   #197
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What are you listening to audiobooks ON?

We don't have our pool anymore, but waterproof earbuds? Does such a beast exist? I always used poolside speakers.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2017, 09:15 AM   #198
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
We don't have our pool anymore
You had a yard sale, and someone bought your yard?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #199
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
We don't have our pool anymore, but waterproof earbuds? Does such a beast exist?
Yep. I just use the ones that came with my waterproof MP3 player (and this is their fourth summer), but there are a lot of options if you check Amazon, both wired and Bluetooth; I've got backup waterproof earbuds just on case. I think there's a caveat with waterproof Bluetooth earbuds, as they might not work entirely successfully when your head is underwater, but the wired kind are fine. Results probably also vary for someone listening to music, but any I've tried are certainly good enough for audiobooks.

I'm sure Charlie knows more about the various earbud options.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #200
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
We don't have our pool anymore, but waterproof earbuds? Does such a beast exist? I always used poolside speakers.
Yes, there are several different brands out there. I went through most of them until I found the ones I'm using now from UnderWaterAudio.com. OTOH, my DW's earbuds came from H2OAudio.com, if I remember correctly.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #201
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Thanks, folks. Good to know if we ever get a pool again.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #202
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Speaking of waterproof, can anyone recommend a Bluetooth shower speaker? I'm not terribly concerned with the sound quality or any bells and whistles.

I have been using a cheap (~$15) Soundbot speaker that I was perfectly happy with, but now I seem to have lost the charging cable--a male 2mm connector to a USB--and instead of searching for this oddball charger, I'd rather get a new speaker with a charger that is USB to USB.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #203
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I stick almost entirely to my phone: with bluetooth earbuds walking or at the gym, propped in a cupboard for resonance when cooking or cleaning, plugged into an AUX cable in the car, or on its charging stand at bedtime. I picked up a Samsung S8 last month, upgrading over my 2014 HTC, which was losing battery life and getting unstable. The HTC does have rather lovely stereo speakers, but it doesn't make much difference for books as long as I don't physically block the S8's single down-facing speaker.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #204
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I recently resurrected one of my no contract phones. I give some of them as gifts to my family and get them back when they move on to something else. This one is a Nokia 520 Windows 8 phone. It's 4 years old and the specs are quite mediocre (dual-core CPU and 0.5GB of RAM), but it still works great as a media player. I paid $20 for it, so it's provided great value over the years.

I use it for audiobooks, music, old time radio, FM radio, weather, games, and calculator. My primary apps are Audible, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, and Kindle. I added a 64GB card and loaded it with a bunch of audiobooks and Spotify playlists for offline listening.

It has a 4" display and a very loud speaker. I put it in a heavy duty case, so it travels well.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 08-12-2017 at 07:42 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 05:46 PM   #205
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I recently resurrected one of my no contract phones. I give some of them as gifts to my family and get them back when they move on to something else. This one is a Nokia 520 Windows 8 phone. It's 4 years old and the specs are quite mediocre
You've inspired me to get mine out and start my next audible book on it. Hard to believe it's 4 years old!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #206
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You've inspired me to get mine out and start my next audible book on it. Hard to believe it's 4 years old!
Let us know how it works out for you.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:48 AM   #207
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Let us know how it works out for you.
The Windows phone is working great for audio! I'd forgotten how small and light it is, compared to the other phone I was using. (Still hate the Windows phone interface )
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #208
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I gave mine away and they are using it as a phone. I use my Fire Phone for audiobooks I put Google Play on it so I can use any audio app. Scribd audiobooks won't work on it but everything else does. I use the LG Volt if I'm listening to Scribd.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:33 AM   #209
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
The Windows phone is working great for audio! I'd forgotten how small and light it is, compared to the other phone I was using. (Still hate the Windows phone interface )
I don't care for Windows either. The app store is very limited and not audiobook friendly, so Audible is the only audiobook app I use. It's all good because the majority of my audiobooks are from Audible.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:31 AM   #210
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I still still hate the android interface :P

Quote:
I don't care for Windows either. The app store is very limited and not audiobook friendly, so Audible is the only audiobook app I use. It's all good because the majority of my audiobooks are from Audible.
I use two apps on my phone (Windows 10 Mobile). One is Audible (naturally), the other is Audiobook player. Also have that one on my Surface Pro 2.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote