Hello all!

Recently I've started using two seperate Android devices to read books
using FBReaderJ for Android, a NookColor, and my phone, a Sprint EVO
4G. Very quickly, I ran into a problem. I read the same books on both
devices, so I ended up spending a lot of time looking for my place
whenever I switched devices (I used the NC at home, and my phone
everywhere else).

I imagine that this must be a problem quite a few people are having,
or will be having as android devices become more popular.

So, I wrote an android app to synchronize my place in each book
between the two devices.

I also added a Dropbox interface so you can sync your actual book files between devices using your own Dropbox account!

App Name: FBSync
Current Version: v1.0.14 beta

Requirements:

1) Root. Your devices must be rooted. This application only uses
root for two things. First, it uses root to get access to the
FBReaderJ books database, and second, it uses root to kill the
FBReaderJ process before it syncs the data (it has to kill the process
to force FBReader to reload the database).

2) FBReaderJ must be installed on the device (you will be prompted to
install it if you haven't already when you load my app)

3) You must have already opened FBReaderJ at least once, and viewed
it's library (Menu button, "Library"). This creates the databases
that my application needs.

Download:

It's been posted to the market, so just search for FBSync and you can find the latest version!

Instructions for Use:

After you install it, go into the settings (blue icon, or menu/
settings), and enter an email (doesn't have to be an email, any unique
string will work) and numeric pin # (this isn't secure, so don't use a
pin you care about). The email/pin is just to uniquely identify you.
You should use the same email/pin on each device.

On the same screen, you can choose to sync the actual book files as
well as their positions. Only your account can access the books, if
you choose to sync them. It only uploads/downloads the books when it
needs them, so it may take a while the first time you sync, but after
that it shouldn't take more than a minute MAX (my typical sync times
for 90 books is about 5-10 seconds)

Click the middle, orange icon, to begin the sync process. It first
uploads, then downloads. It only updates the book's "place" on the web
if it's farther ahead than the web's "place" for the book.

Miscellaneous Info:

This program is still in beta. I have used and tested it extensively,
but I'm not liable if you manage to break it somehow. Since it does
alter the data in FBReader's databases (it does not, and never will,
alter the database structures), it is possible, but very unlikely,
that it could lose your book's places. I would suggest that you back
up FBReaderJ using something like Titanium Backup before you start
using FBSync, just to be on the safe side.

The synchronized data is currently hosted on my personal web server,
but I've had people suggest syncing it with Google. As of right now, I
don't have any plans to change the way it syncs, but if enough
interest is shown, I would be willing to consider almost anything.

Please let me know of any issues you find, or any improvements you
want.

Thanks,

Scott
delvorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
I've been playing around with this a bit and it works well. If you use FBReader on multiple Android devices, you need this app.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
works wonderfully!

i use my phone with droid vnc to read at my desk, then sync and continue at night with my nook color.

i wish i'd have know about this earlier. great work!
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Love this concept. I'm wondering however if it can be extended to be more than an FBReader feature. Like supporting kindle (mdp) sync or sync for Moon+.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
krash1220
krash1220 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
I love this app but suddenly I can't use it on one of my android devices and so it does me no good. I'm getting the error:

It works fine on the other device. Please help.
krash1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sounds great except for the rooting thing.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
madsquabbles
Groupie
madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.madsquabbles shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: samsung 8.9, galaxy note 10.1, galaxy note 2, nook hd+, ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash1220 View Post
I love this app but suddenly I can't use it on one of my android devices and so it does me no good. I'm getting the error:

launch fbreader first then try syncing again. it may be that your db file was deleted and you need to recreate it with fbreader.
madsquabbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Sounds great except for the rooting thing.
Yes, that's a fail for me too. I have two Android devices, and have not yet found it necessary to root either of them, and don't intend to.

Now if I had a couple of Nook Colors; ...
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Yes, that's a fail for me too. I have two Android devices, and have not yet found it necessary to root either of them, and don't intend to.

Not possible to do this without rooting as for security reasons android normally does not allow one app to mess with another. Only way you could get it is if the author of fbsync forks a version of fbreaderj and put fbsync into it. Or if fbreader saves its settings and last read etc to sdcard where all apps can access it.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
krash1220
krash1220 began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquabbles View Post
launch fbreader first then try syncing again. it may be that your db file was deleted and you need to recreate it with fbreader.
Tried that already. I've tried uninstalling fbreader, reinstalling, running fbreader then fbsync and no matter what I do I get the same error message.
krash1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
delvorak
delvorak doesn't litterdelvorak doesn't litterdelvorak doesn't litter

Device: nookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash1220 View Post

I've found this to be a problem on some gingerbread Roms. The latest version on the market has a fix for the problems I've found /solved so far. What device and rom are you having problems with?

Scott
Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #12
delvorak
delvorak doesn't litterdelvorak doesn't litterdelvorak doesn't litter

Device: nookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post

I would prefer it if the devices did not need rooted, but unfortunately its a necessity at the moment. I've been talking to the developers of fbreader about adding an interface, but nothing has come of it yet.

Scott
Old 03-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I have two rooted devices, and certainly I'm your target because I read in both. I'll try it out and see what comes out.

*Edit* What should we do in case we receive an error in a Pop-Up? The content is not easy to copy Should we use Logcat logs?

Last edited by Logseman; 03-11-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Since getting my Galaxy Tab, I find that I have no desire to read on any other device. My HTC EVO 4G has suddenly become too small (imagine that) and my PC too restrictive as I can't carry it around, e.g. to the bathroom or the layback chair or to bed. So my need for a sync feature has gone away.

Thanks for the effort in any case delvorak, I still think WhisperSync is the best part of Kindle. If it only would work with side loaded books.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I'm finding I'm doing more and more on my Xoom - reading (kindle app), browsing, email ... it's just so damn convenient!!!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, fbreader, root, sync