Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
stabile007
stabile007 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3
Well I will put my thoughts here since this topic already exists

So coming from my PRS-505 here is what I like about the Sony PRS-505 over the Kindle 3
  • I like the ePub support (this has been beaten to death by everyone though)
  • I like the default font type on the Sony for my books it looks more like a book type face then what the kindle uses.
  • I like the solid metal build of my PRS-505 it feels a lot more durable but I still use a cover
  • The option of expandable memory (not that I ever needed it)

What I like about the Kindle 3 over the PRS-505
  • I like how thin the kindle itself is
  • I like the Kindle 3 cover more then what Sony offered (especially that awful wedge light cover)
  • I like having the dictionary and annotation options (not that I have actually had to use them yet)
  • I like the Wifi+3G which allows me to get my books anywhere (a major plus as I always seem to finish a book whenever I am NOT home) and not have to use an awful store interface like the Sony uses though the ePub support allowed me to bypass the Sony store I still used the software to get books onto my device.
  • I like how much faster the page turns are it is a huge noticeable difference
  • I like the menu system for the Kindle more far more responsive then my Sony
  • I like the page turn buttons much easier for me to press and they are located in places that is comfortable to reach no matter how I am currently holding my Kindle

All in all my overview:
The Kindle 3 is mostly superior to the PRS-505 in many ways. Though I like the build quality and the type face and the ePub support more on my Sony, the benefits of the Wifi+3G and the lighter and better designed cases and speed for my Kindle 3 win out. I waffled quite a bit on this before I bought a Kindle and almost got a Nook but I am glad I got the Kindle in the end.
stabile007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:50 PM   #17
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
I just got my Kindle 3 yesterday. Having a PRS-505 for two years.

Kindle 3 wins easily, since the screen is much sharper, contrast is REALLY improved compared to PRS-505.

With Calibre, it is very easy to convert ePUB to Mobi.

However, I decided to keep my PRS-505, just in case. Under direct sunlight, PRS-505 is not so bad, but indoors, Kindle 3 is much better.
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #18
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm with others on the much better screen and speed. I don't use the default formats, so I can't really comment on those. I bought the K3 pretty much just for the screen, and on the basis of that alone I feel it was worth the cost. The speed boost was nice too, though it's still far from ideal.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, kindle 3 vs. prs-505, prs-505