Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Thumbs down Firmware 5.9.2.0.1 :(

I made the horrible mistake of leaving my wifi on overnight and the Kindle updated. Again.

And now the KUAL won't load. Again.

Is this the future of Kindle? Is every update from here on in gonna screw up the KUAL? Is there gonna be ever adding KUAL icons tbat do nothing?

How do I fix it this time? I'm a writer, not a programmer.

All I want is my ePubs. Why is that too much to ask? I am really beginning to regret not getting a kobo.
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you want ePub, why did you buy a Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I agree with JSWolf if you only want epub why get a Kindle? Or you could convert the epubs to kindle format, that is what I have done.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So are we.
For a writer, you are not much for reading directions.
Taking your own perchance for not reading, by projection, why do you (or anyone) bother to write anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail Break
Introduction (in part):

Untested with an update to 5.9.2
It should survive an update to any firmware version. It is designed to be viral.

None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.

- - - -

Step 7 (in part):
To prevent OTA updates, add the OTA blocker directory (folder) name to the top level of visible USB storage.
The blocker directory is named: update.bin.tmp.partial
Use that exact name, no additional extension, no contents.
See (open the spoiler): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

And if you read recent posts in the KUAL release thread, you would have learned that someone is working on the problem of "killing the KUAL" image left over, the one that can not be deleted.

Why don't you rant on the Kobo forum? They might have more than a single developer working on problems.

Last edited by knc1; 02-05-2018 at 12:29 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My suggestion is that you factory reset your Kindle, sell it and buy a Kobo then you'll get to read ePub without having to jailbreak.
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Wow. Tough crowd here today. I have a Kobo and decided I wanted to play with my KV again and was disappointed to see the difficulties with 5.9.2.0.1. But, the info is here, assuming you were already jailbroken...
1. You need Coplate's Hotfix update: Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin. Put that into your uppermost root directory and then run System Update from settings.
2. You need the Kual zip package (forget where it is) and install that through mrpackages. You initiate it with a ;log mrpi instruction in the search bar, since your existing KUAL file won't open.
3. You should get a useful Kual thumbnail in your homepage after that and can re-install your various hacks as normal, e.g., python and screensaver, fonts hack, etc.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by rogerinnyc; 02-05-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: corrected info.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FWIW, I don't think FONT_RAMP works anymore with 5.9.2.0.1. Happy if anyone can prove/show me differently. My model is B054 0907.

I also haven't been able to swap a different font for OpenDyslexic, even using a conf.d file, although I have been able to succeed with swapping out other standard fonts (Baskerville, Futura, Palatino). Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerinnyc View Post
FWIW, I don't think FONT_RAMP works anymore with 5.9.2.0.1. Happy if anyone can prove/show me differently. My model is B054 0907.

I also haven't been able to swap a different font for OpenDyslexic, even using a conf.d file, although I have been able to succeed with swapping out other standard fonts (Baskerville, Futura, Palatino). Any thoughts appreciated.
It still works, but the number of sizes is 14 instead of 8, so it needs to be changed to have 14 values.

More information in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...291171&page=10
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #9
rogerinnyc
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
It still works, but the number of sizes is 14 instead of 8, so it needs to be changed to have 14 values.
Thanks. I had a 14 value file, but had forgotten that it only works on some formats -- AZW3 and KF8, but not KFX or old .mobi. Oddly, I thought almost all my files were in the proper format, but that appears not to be the case. I sideload what purport to by AZW3 files through Calibre, but I don't think those always work, or maybe I've been sideloading .mobi without paying enough attention! In any event, is there any Calibre setting/plug-in you can recommend to make sure I got the most FONT_RAMP compatible files on my KV?
Old 02-05-2018, 05:20 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks. I had a 14 value file, but had forgotten that it only works on some formats -- AZW3 and KF8, but not KFX or old .mobi. Oddly, I thought almost all my files were in the proper format, but that appears not to be the case. I sideload what purport to by AZW3 files through Calibre, but I don't think those always work, or maybe I've been sideloading .mobi without paying enough attention! In any event, is there any Calibre setting/plug-in you can recommend to make sure I got the most FONT_RAMP compatible files on my KV?
Make sure that “AZW3” is at the top of the list of formats in the Kindle driver so it always gets sent by preference.

Add a “Books not in AZW3 format” saved search to Calibre, so you can easily see them all and bulk convert them to AZW3 format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
rogerinnyc
Addict

Thanks. I had a lot of .kfx formatted books. Deleted them, now all good (including my font substitution for Open Dyslexic).
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 PM   #12
ThomasMcKean
Disabilities Advocate
ThomasMcKean doesn't litterThomasMcKean doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
1. You need Coplate's Hotfix update: Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14_nomax_install.bin. Put that into your uppermost root directory and then run System Update from settings.
2. You need the Kual zip package (forget where it is) and install that through mrpackages. You initiate it with a ;log mrpi instruction in the search bar, since your existing KUAL file won't open.
3. You should get a useful Kual thumbnail in your homepage after that and can re-install your various hacks as normal, e.g., python and screensaver, fonts hack, etc.

Hope that helps.
Alas the Jailbreak Hotfix is no longer recognized as of this update. I get a message claiming an invalid update has been added and I am to contact amazon. Then it is deleted.

But I did run it once before, I hope that is enough? Now to remember how to do mrpackages...

As for why I bought this instead of the Kobo, I dunno? I wanted to cheat, I guess. Best of both worlds. It was great until the 5.9.X.X came along.

I shoulda known amazon would sour on it...
ThomasMcKean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So sell the PW3 and get the Kobo you should have gotten in the first place.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

As for the some formats being azw3 and KF8, they are the same format. The correct name is KF8.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMcKean View Post
Alas the Jailbreak Hotfix is no longer recognized as of this update. I get a message claiming an invalid update has been added and I am to contact amazon. Then it is deleted.
- - - - -
There are a variety of such named packages posted here, most for special purposes.
So you need to be specific (such as a link).

Try this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68&postcount=4

Try installing it with MrPI (searchbar command: ;log mrpi after putting package in /mrpackages directory).
or
Put in top visible level of USB storage and use UYK menu entry
or
Put in top visible level of USB storage and re-boot the device.

Report back your results.
Be specific - just claiming something is "broke" does not help.

# 15 700
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote