Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Thorned Rose
Thorned Rose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O2 (H2O v2)
AZW3 made with KKBC (converted) looks terrible on Kobo Aura H2O

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, this issue could fit several but I figured help with formats and CSS made this one the best fit)

I bought an ebook from Amazon, the only place that seems to sell this book in digital format. I converted to kepub (and later tried epub) and sideloaded to my Kobo using Calibre. When I went to read it, all the pages (except the cover) are shifted down and to the right, cutting off some of the text at the right margin and bottom.

I used Calibre to edit the book and look at the styling. I see in the header meta tags, Kindle Kids’ Book Creator was used and every single page is actually a jpg set as a background image.

I used to be website developer so I foo foo'd with the CSS some but I cannot get it to centre the page on my Kobo

What can I do to get it to display correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_145557b.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	718.5 KB
ID:	161409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180110_145557.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	603.7 KB
ID:	161410  
Thorned Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorned Rose View Post
(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, this issue could fit several but I figured help with formats and CSS made this one the best fit)

I bought an ebook from Amazon, the only place that seems to sell this book in digital format. I converted to kepub (and later tried epub) and sideloaded to my Kobo using Calibre. When I went to read it, all the pages (except the cover) are shifted down and to the right, cutting off some of the text at the right margin and bottom.

I used Calibre to edit the book and look at the styling. I see in the header meta tags, Kindle Kids’ Book Creator was used and every single page is actually a jpg set as a background image.

I used to be website developer so I foo foo'd with the CSS some but I cannot get it to centre the page on my Kobo

What can I do to get it to display correctly?
Well, really--you cannot. You're not reading an eBook; at best, you're reading a PDF. If it were me, given what you've said, you can take the jpgs, make a PDF, and then read that on your Kobo.

Your only other alternative is a nightmare; do the scan/ocr of each jpeg page; get the resulting text; proofread it, then when you have the entire book, you can make a proper eBook from it.

I don't know what type of moron would use KKBC, to make a regular book, but unfortunately, that's the boat in which you find yourself. There are idiots everywhere, and equally unfortunately, they will tell other people to use a program like KKBC, for a book like this. Idiotic, but...that's the reality.

As you bought it from Amazon, honestly--I'd return it and demand my money back and I would CERTAINLY complain about the utterly inappropriate formatting. With any luck, they'd require the publisher to fix the damned thing. Sorry--wish I had a better answer for you.

ETA: I wanted to add that oddly enough, I do not see this author's book available on Amazon, or any of her books in ebook format. That's quite peculiar.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 01-09-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Curious incident of the book not in the Amazon library...
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
ETA: I wanted to add that oddly enough, I do not see this author's book available on Amazon, or any of her books in ebook format. That's quite peculiar.

Hitch
I found a kindle version here but it was in German.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:51 AM   #4
Thorned Rose

Quote:
Well, really--you cannot. You're not reading an eBook; at best, you're reading a PDF. If it were me, given what you've said, you can take the jpgs, make a PDF, and then read that on your Kobo.

Your only other alternative is a nightmare; do the scan/ocr of each jpeg page; get the resulting text; proofread it, then when you have the entire book, you can make a proper eBook from it.

I don't know what type of moron would use KKBC, to make a regular book, but unfortunately, that's the boat in which you find yourself. There are idiots everywhere, and equally unfortunately, they will tell other people to use a program like KKBC, for a book like this. Idiotic, but...that's the reality.

As you bought it from Amazon, honestly--I'd return it and demand my money back and I would CERTAINLY complain about the utterly inappropriate formatting. With any luck, they'd require the publisher to fix the damned thing. Sorry--wish I had a better answer for you.
Hitch
Yeah I figured as much. Had a sinking feeling as soon as I saw that meta tag. Just had some small hope that there might have been some CSS I was missing that could make it work.

Quote:
Hitch
Hmm. The link in my emailed order invoice no longer works. The tab I still had open for it in my browser is (not surprisngly) now dead as well. I wonder if it was pulled for being crappy formatting lol.
Will get my money back and buy the paperback instead
Old 01-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #5
Thorned Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
I found a kindle version here but it was in German.
Even more stupid is that the english version appears under "Customers who viewed this item also viewed" but if I click on it, it comes up with Amazon's 404 page.

The German version is the only format on Amazon at the moment - the paperback and hardcover are also gone :/
Advert
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yeah I figured as much. Had a sinking feeling as soon as I saw that meta tag. Just had some small hope that there might have been some CSS I was missing that could make it work.
Sorry, no--there's no meta in the world that will turn jpegged text into real text. :-( I wish!

Quote:
Hmm. The link in my emailed order invoice no longer works. The tab I still had open for it in my browser is (not surprisngly) now dead as well. I wonder if it was pulled for being crappy formatting lol.
Will get my money back and buy the paperback instead
Quote:
Even more stupid is that the english version appears under "Customers who viewed this item also viewed" but if I click on it, it comes up with Amazon's 404 page.

The German version is the only format on Amazon at the moment - the paperback and hardcover are also gone :/
I know, it's WEIRD. It's as if suddenly, all the versions have simply vapored. I suspect that you're right--they've been pulled for crappy formatting. DEFINITELY get your $$$ or DM back. For now, anyway. Who knows? Maybe they'll show up at our door, and you'll end up being able to get a decent quality eBook copy, eventually.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
azw3 conversion, calibre, kindle kids’ book creator, kkbc, kobo