Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-16-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
question about sgc-toc.css

Someone helped me make this epub and I can't figure out why there is a sgc-toc.css. (First of all I am a non-techie.) There is a css for the toc (see first screenshot) so why would there need to be a sgc-toc.css (see second screenshot)?

I read about it in the Sigil user guide about the sgc-toc. being in the preferences directory and being overidden if it wasn't found etc etc--honestly I couldn't figure it out.

I've published the book on Amazon and have it on my Kindle and as far as I can tell everything is working perfectly.

I would just like to understand what is going on.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_007.png
Views:	200
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	136079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_008.png
Views:	179
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	136080  
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
An sgc-toc.css file is created when you use Sigil to create an html toc. The new css file is automatically linked to the newly created toc.xhtml file. You can use it as-is, modify it, or unlink it from the toc.xhtml file and delete it and style the new toc any way you like.

The sgc-toc.css in the preference folder can be used as a template to customize the way the html TOC is styled when one is created.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-16-2015 at 04:25 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 05:11 PM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The sgc-toc.css in the preference folder can be used as a template to customize the way the html TOC is styled when one is created.
Really? If I open sgc-toc.css (where one exists) and modify it, will that carry over to the next book I open in Sigil?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Really? If I open sgc-toc.css (where one exists) and modify it, will that carry over to the next book I open in Sigil?
The one in Preferences become Master

Also Note: If you modify the one in the book, It will not get overwritten if you regenerate the TOC
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Only if you save a copy of that modified sgc-toc.css file to the Sigil Preferences directory.

Then, like theducks says, it will become the master for all books -- whenever you first use Tools->Table of Contents->Create HTML Table of Contents in a book.

If there is no sgc-toc.css file in the Preferences directory, a default css file will be created/added to the epub (and only the epub).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-16-2015 at 05:48 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2015, 09:33 PM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
An sgc-toc.css file is created when you use Sigil to create an html toc. The new css file is automatically linked to the newly created toc.xhtml file. You can use it as-is, modify it, or unlink it from the toc.xhtml file and delete it and style the new toc any way you like.

Thanks Diap. That helped a lot.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote