Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Wifi Kobo Sleep/Power Problem + Double Screen Refresh?

Not sure if this was already brought up but I just got my new Wifi Kobo and whenever I hit the Power Button there is a 50/50 chance that it goes into OFF mode rather then Sleep mode. Is there something I have to do or is there something mechanical going wrong? Anyone else with this problem? Its the Black model if that helps. I can provide more info if it helps.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

Also what is with the double screen resfresh? That never happened on the Kobo 1

Last edited by ModReader; 10-22-2010 at 01:30 AM.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
Could you be holding the button for differing amounts of time? I think a short click is sleep and a long press is power off.

Also, the double screen refresh is to prevent the previous image from showing...the original kobo with older firmware had problems with ghosting...i believe they incorporated that as a way to fix it
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
JexMcByte
Enthusiast
JexMcByte began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi, New Kindle Paperwhite
Looks like the same issue explained here
JexMcByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
This sounds different to me - the device will sleep if you 'tap' the power button or wait 15 minutes. If you hold the power button down for 3 seconds or more it will turn off.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Achan
Recently Kobofied
Achan has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo wifi
Ok, now I have to add that this has happened to me today too where a quick click of the power button led to a power off instead of sleep. Not really a "HUGE" issue, but a bit annoying nonetheless due to reboot time. I still find the lack of 'go to page' the biggest annoyance.
Achan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCKobo View Post
This sounds different to me - the device will sleep if you 'tap' the power button or wait 15 minutes. If you hold the power button down for 3 seconds or more it will turn off.
It seems that this isn't always the case. I definitly make sure I tap the button and not hold it. I'll try to figure out how to cause this every time if possible so you can duplicate it.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
I know I've come accross this issue before when I had read this post, and now I can confirm I've experienced it; gave the power a tap and it went to power off instead of sleep. One thing I had done prior is that I was in a book and opened the menu, then tapped the power. I tried to repeat but it kept going to sleep instead..odd.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
I'm having this issue consistently now with all the books and documents I downloaded- not the pre-loaded classics, though. Those still go to sleep with the short tap and wake up again when I re-tap. But everything else, the short tap powers it down. The auto-sleep (after 15 minutes) still works, though. Help?!? Should I just take it back to the Chapters store I got it from, and get it replaced?
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

So I just went and exchanged my Kobo for another one, brought it home, loaded up my documents and a couple of library books, and it's got exactly the same problem!! The preloaded books go to sleep just fine with a single tap, but anything I've loaded up myself (epub's or pdf's), a single tap shuts the machine right off. Grrr. What's going on??
Old 10-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amo View Post
So I just went and exchanged my Kobo for another one, brought it home, loaded up my documents and a couple of library books, and it's got exactly the same problem!! The preloaded books go to sleep just fine with a single tap, but anything I've loaded up myself (epub's or pdf's), a single tap shuts the machine right off. Grrr. What's going on??
Hi - sorry you're having problems. So I can try to reproduce it here, can you confirm that this only happens with DRM-free ePubs and PDFs you copy over yourself, or does it happen with DRM protected ones as well?
Old 10-26-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
JC, can you try something on your side? Take a PDF and convert it to ePub in Calibre and see if you can replicate issue. I seem to think that I'm only experiencing this problem with PDF's I've converted as I don't remember it happening with purchased books from kobobooks. This goes for the auto power off, as well as some bookmarking issues (sometimes will bookmark, sometimes won't).

thanks!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

I tried it a bit last night - it seems to happen randomly with sideloaded ePubs. I've logged a bug with our team to investigate further.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
amo
Teaist

It still happens with the DRM ones (I assume library books are that?). epub's and pdf's both, not just epub's. And now it's intermittent- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Downloading the upgrade this morning didn't make a smidgen of a difference.
Hope you can figure this out and get us a patch for it!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Does anyone yet know if this happens both when sideloading through Adobe ADE desktop program and Calibre?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #15
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy

Thanks for your help amo - we didn't find this in our testing, but based on your feedback our team has fixed it and the fix will be in our next firmware update.

For now (and I'm sorry, but this is going to sound weird), if you want to be sure your device is going to sleep, press 'Home' before hitting the power button when reading sideloaded PDFs or ePubs.