Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-25-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle version 6.11

Supposedly:

Quote:
- More library filtering options are here! We’ve added Kindle Unlimited, Prime Reading, and Sample filters to your library.
- We’ve moves Collections view to the View and Sort menu
This feature also came to the Android app in the last few days.

However, I’m not seeing these changes on my iPhone or iPad Pro. Have tried force quit and relaunch, uninstall and reinstall, to no avail.

I thought it took on my iPad Air 2 when I updated last night, but am doubtful now that I actually checked it. I think someone messed up.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-25-2018 at 07:15 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Same here on Pro 12.9.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Seems to be working on my iPad Pro 9.7”, but I closed the app before installing the update by double clicking Home button then flipping the Kindle app up off the screen.

It made it to my iPhone 7 too.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E963F5B-4717-457F-B221-94B7909422FC.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	166484   Click image for larger version

Name:	7A538939-9B16-4C4A-907C-8339FFF01D40.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	166485  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-25-2018 at 10:08 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Seems to be working on my iPad Pro 9.7”, but I closed the app before installing the update by double clicking Home button then flipping the Kindle app up off the screen.

It made it to my iPhone 7 too.

That's on Discover, though.

Library filter, collections, view/sort are still the same.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's on Discover, though.

Library filter, collections, view/sort are still the same.
Well I must admit I don’t use most of the features in the Kindle app related to discovering material to read or organizing my library. I only keep a few books on my Kindle app at any given time, so library organization isn’t important to me. However, I notice that if I go to Discovery, press the menu icon near the upper-left, I get the strange menu in my attached screen capture. Pressing Library option at top seems to do nothing in my case. It seems odd for that option to be there, but again I don’t use these features so I haven’t kept up with how they work. I wonder if pressing Library is supposed to take you to the Library and display this menu?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF82B57B-AA96-438F-8346-30928C3C4374.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	166492  

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Well I must admit I don’t use most of the features in the Kindle app related to discovering material to read or organizing my library. I only keep a few books on my Kindle app at any given time, so library organization isn’t important to me. However, I notice that if I go to Discovery, press the menu icon near the upper-left, I get the strange menu in my attached screen capture. Pressing Library option at top seems to do nothing in my case. It seems odd for that option to be there, but again I don’t use these features so I haven’t kept up with how they work. I wonder if pressing Library is supposed to take you to the Library and display this menu?

The Library menu and view options for iOS hasn't changed as far as I can tell. That's what tomsem was saying.

I don't have an Android device to test right at this moment but it looks like Kindle 6.11 for Android was updated with the changes mentioned in the release notes, Kindle 6.11 for iOS was not.

Honestly, I rarely use the Kindle for iOS app. Either I read Kindle books on my PW3 or I dedrm, convert to epub and read on Marvin (which is much better in terms of organization).
Old 09-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #7
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Unfortunately Amazon tends to make their Kindle app and firmware in such a manner that overly emphasizes features designed to sell more books and under-emphasizes reading those books. Welcome to corporate America! I have a basic Kindle but mostly read on my Kindle app via my two iPads. I really don't need nor want about 90% of the interface features Amazon has included. Those features merely clutter up the interface and annoy me. I wish they were just barebones type of apps, but then Amazon wouldn't make a fortune off of us so the book selection would likely be meager. At any rate I stick with Amazon Kindle books because their cloud actually works and they have a huge selection of books, unlike any of their competition. Fortunately Apple has greatly improved the act of reading on their devices and that more than compensates for Amazon's lackluster formatting options in their app.

Anyone else old enough to remember when reading was about the words and not about devices, firmware, and library features?
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Lol, I also recall buying multiple copies of a book because I've forgotten I already had it (ran out of shelf space a long, long time ago).

I started reading digital on Stanza for iOS and when that was discontinued (thank you Amazon for acquiring and then killing off competition), I'm glad to have found Marvin which I've been using ever since. I used Stanza for, hmm, 4-5 years? I believe I've been using Marvin for nearly as long.

I've never liked Kindle or iBooks apps for reading. Too restrictive and limited particularly for sideloaded content. At the very least, I need the option to customize tap areas (tap on either side for next page) and disable page turn animations.

Apps and devices are a means to an end. Sure, I'd check new ones occasionally but I'm not gonna dedicate my time obsessing trying to find the perfect reading device/app. Good enough works for me.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-26-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #9
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Yes with today's current higher resolution screens it is easy to find good devices to read on. As you get older though, and cataracts start to form, then more resolution is generally better. That is where I am currently as I have cataracts in their early stages but not advanced enough for surgery yet. I actually started reading books on a Sony Bookman way back in the early 1990s, but Sony failed to provide enough new books for it, which were available on MD discs. Later I used Palm devices even though initially they were 160 x 160 pixels. Hard to believe I could read on those 20 years ago, but my eyes were 20 years younger then! I too used Stanza for a few years. Kindle and iBooks, now called Books in the latest iOS and Mojave, are not great, but they are good enough even for my tired eyes. I never used iBook/Books much because Apple never did much with their book store. But I like the ability of Kindle to seamlessly switch between my devices without losing my place or my highlighting.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I sent email to Amazon detailing the problem from the app, but the response was characteristically boilerplate and useless (as has been the case for awhile).

[Update 9/28: sent another piece of feedback to Amazon — no reply this time. Surprised it is taking them so long to actually deliver the features that the release notes reference.]

Curiously Kindle app does not show up in my ‘recently updated’ apps in App Store, which goes back to 9/15. Yet if I look at Kindle app listing it says ‘updated 5 days ago’.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-28-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Version 6.11.2 of the app is out. The announced features, missing from 6.11, are now working.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:43 AM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Finally!