Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
hahahut
hahahut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS-600
Help: it seems I just destroyed my reader

Hi! For some stupid reasons, I opened up my reader just then. I thought I didn't do anything risky. Basically just had a look and then put screws back on as how I found them. I was very careful and didn't hear any crack or anything. When I restarted the reader, part of the screen doesn't display anymore (see pic). It still responded to touch though.

It is totally my fault. No argument on that. But just wonder if there is any way to save it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300012.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	55878  
hahahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Perhaps some connector does not have perfect contact.
If I remember properly, there are special connectors inside where a thin strip of plastic with a very thin metallic lines is directly inserted in a flimsy connector. Perhaps some of those came dislodged.

A cracked screen usually has a diagonal line visible - a crack itself, or perhaps several such lines "radiating" from the point of impact, and the display works on one side of the crack line and doesn't on the other.

So not all hope is lost yet.

Of course it still could be a crack that happens to be horizontal / vertical caused by display not being seated perfectly before tightening the screws.
There is maintenance manual for PRS-505 available on the net with very detailed steps of how to take it apart.
Try contacting service center or somebody that has experiences with repairing electronics. And provide the maintenance manual for him (if it is not a Sony service).
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
I'd take it apart again and look for loose connections. cant hurt at this point.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
hahahut
hahahut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS-600
Thanks for the help. I didn't remove any connector last time. But I agree there is nothing to lose so I took it apart again today to have a good look. At one point, I couldn't even turn the device on. But later I found out it was because I didn't put the connection from power switch back properly. I guess there is a crack after all. There is a small triagle shape lines which corresponds to the location of a screw.

Still can adjust the book margin to read using the good screen until I have to take a long trip again. Hopefully by then there will be a great new version with my much anticipated bluthtooth and web browser.
hahahut is offline   Reply With Quote