Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: What sort of criteria do you consider acceptable for content submitted to Sony’s Conn
Only Professional Publishing House submissions -- don't allow Indie works. 4 16.67%
Allow Indie works vetted by Sony/its agent for story quality and mechanics (layout, grammar, etc.). 5 20.83%
Allow Indie works vetted for story quality and mechanics, and clearly marked as such. 3 12.50%
Allow Indie works vetted by Sony or its agent only for mechanics. 1 4.17%
Allow Indie works vetted by Sony or its agent only for mechanics, and clearly marked as such. 6 25.00%
Allow Indie works not vetted at all. 1 4.17%
Allow Indie works not vetted at all, and clearly marked as such. 2 8.33%
I have no opinion, but I want to see the results when I come here to read the discussion. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Question What sort of content submissions should Sony's Connect Store accept?

Okay, there's been quite a bit of discussion here regarding the requirements Sony has for independents who want to submit work for distribution via their Connect Store.

I don't want to get into that here (because the other thread is covering it nicely), but I do want to ask what sort of submission criteria we want to see on Sony's part. Hopefully I've covered the basics enough that the poll will mean something. I'm also leaving out the question of a user rating/ranking system, because that seems to be generally agreed to be a good thing, and I don't want to double the answer set.

iLiadites, your opinions are most welcome too, I don't think not having a Reader means you can't have an intelligent, considered opinion on this matter.

So, here's the poll, have at it. Vote. Discuss.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I vote for the Indie works vetted only for content formatting and clearly marked as such. I mean, really, since when is a bookstore the gatekeeper or regulator of what is good and what is bad literature. And the "publisher" information is almost always available for any book. Let the reader decide if he or she wants to read it.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Jane, not that I disagree with you ('cause I don't ) but just to explain the reason I worded the answers the way I did. Part of what I'm getting at is the question of how much of the duty set Connect should take up which traditionally has belonged to the editor/publisher as well as the storefront.

Clearly, Connect is the storefront, but for these indie authors, there might not be any editor/publisher to handle the things that a publishing house typically handles for most books. I'm just wanting to get a measure of how much of that job we, as a community, expect Connect to take over.

I know that's exactly what you're answering, but I felt the need to clarify the quesion I was asking a bit. It seemed clearer to me when I wrote it yesterday than it does this morning.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I don't know in which category you'd put this. I would agree that Sony do like a regular publishing company. Screen works, proof read, market and sell. That would keep garbage out. Unless it's political or religious.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Prowly 2 or 3, I guess, depending on whether you want to be told that's what they're doing or not.
Advert
Old 12-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since publishers of the works are already marked, self publishing will also be marked. No additional marking is required. Quality is another issue, they need to be vetted.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

Do you mean that the absence of publisher indication should be enough of an indication that a book is indie?

Just checking my understanding.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Either a lack of a publishing house name or a vanity press name that they pick. To my mind if I've never heard of a publisher before it is the same as saying "vanity press." I come to this belief after spending many of my college years working for a book publisher and many years of working with some of my wife's associates who publish their own books on sewing, quilting, and knitting.

So yes NatCh, the absence should be enough.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote