Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
London Wine

i was listening to bbc today and they talked about a growing market of london urban wine, they said that the city is a great microcosum for growing wine, there are they said already over 100 growers, they said that it had a good flavor has anyone tasted this stuff?

was 3 o'clock a good year for wine?
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'd find it very hard to believe that you could actually grow wine (or even grapes) in London. But what do I know?
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Someone has just started a commercial vineyard:
http://www.decanter.com/news/281860.html
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:42 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
London Wine? I never thought I'd see those two words in the same sentence.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Wine fashion changes quite quickly - it wasn't that long ago we were turning our noses up at Australian wines, a review from 1972:

"A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.
Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.
Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.
Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret...."
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret...."
That doesn't sound like much of a recommendation to me, alas.

I've tried some wine from Welsh vineyards - these days its mostly white wine - and they are all very disappointing.

It would be so nice to offer a decent local wine to visiting foreign guests. But, because I care about their taste-buds, they usually get some Welsh lanb and a chateauneuf-du-pape.

(Welsh vodka and Welsh whisky are just about ok. They're made mostly for tourists, I think.)
Old 08-02-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Here in Virginia they are looking for a crop to replace tobacco. Some areas have adopted grapes and there is a growing (sorry about that pun) wine industry. There is not much of a demand for wine with a tobacco back taste. After hundreds of years growing tobacco, it may be many generations before the soil gives up it unique character.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Here in Virginia they are looking for a crop to replace tobacco. Some areas have adopted grapes and there is a growing (sorry about that pun) wine industry. There is not much of a demand for wine with a tobacco back taste. After hundreds of years growing tobacco, it may be many generations before the soil gives up it unique character.
Wine and tobacco mixed sounds good to me. Two vices in one. Wonderful.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
Wine and tobacco mixed sounds good to me. Two vices in one. Wonderful.

(damned, now i want a drink and a cigarette. well, at least i've got some wine...)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
All of this reminds me that I must get around to visiting our local vineyard.

We would have liked to go this weekend, largely because the thought of playing with Lego on this scale is incredibly appealing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8168892.stm, but both the Yeti & I were too ill.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:21 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
All of this reminds me that I must get around to visiting our local vineyard.

We would have liked to go this weekend, largely because the thought of playing with Lego on this scale is incredibly appealing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/surrey/8168892.stm, but both the Yeti & I were too ill.
crikey !!!

(both of you were ill ??? i hope you're feeling better now.)
Old 08-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
crikey !!!

(both of you were ill ??? i hope you're feeling better now.)
I know!!

I am feeling much better thanks , the yeti is still in the throes of the flu
Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
I know!!

I am feeling much better thanks , the yeti is still in the throes of the flu
poor yeti. a friend of mine has flu right now. we were supposed to see each other this weekend. i talked to him on friday, and he told me he was ill, and i said "maybe we should reschedule our plans then" and he said no no, he was fine, just a little under the weather, no need to reschedule. then saturday he called me back and said "well, i've got 39.2 fever. the doctor's just left. maybe we should reschedule." and i said "go back to bed you lunatic, and stay there." i hope yeti is staying in bed, at least, and not insisting he's "fine, just a bit under the weather"... and i hope he feels better soon (i talked to my friend today again and he said he was already feeling much better, hardly ill at all now, and he'd be completely over it by tomorrow, if i wanted to reschedule for then. )
Old 08-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
poor yeti. a friend of mine has flu right now. we were supposed to see each other this weekend. i talked to him on friday, and he told me he was ill, and i said "maybe we should reschedule our plans then" and he said no no, he was fine, just a little under the weather, no need to reschedule. then saturday he called me back and said "well, i've got 39.2 fever. the doctor's just left. maybe we should reschedule." and i said "go back to bed you lunatic, and stay there." i hope yeti is staying in bed, at least, and not insisting he's "fine, just a bit under the weather"... and i hope he feels better soon (i talked to my friend today again and he said he was already feeling much better, hardly ill at all now, and he'd be completely over it by tomorrow, if i wanted to reschedule for then. )
He was doing the "I feel fine, just a bit under the weather" routine, up until simply getting out of bed knocked him for six! He has been in bed most of the weekend, though.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

it's so unfair to be ill in summer ! i hope it will pass quickly.